PDA

View Full Version : Powerpoint - a replacement?

AndyP & Lenore
26th January 2008, 10:43 PM
Howdy folks,

Looking for a replacement for PowerPoint. We use PowerPoint to run a basic presentation on 19" LCD monitors in our foyer, hard up against the front windows either side of our entrance doors. Each screen displays the same identical PowerPoint presentation.

On the left side of the screen it lists the films and times for this week, and we use the right side of the screen to feature jpg images of posters of films and images of films coming soon, as well as customer messages like gift vouchers etc. The films and times remain static (even though they are actually being replaced each time the PowerPoint cell changes - because that side of the screen is identical, this is not noticeable).

What I'd like is a more dynamic presentation. I'm fed up with checker-box fades, simple slides and so on. The usual rubbish you get with PowerPoint. I'd also like to put a ticker along the bottom, just something else to make the page more vibrant.

Anyone know of a presentation package that does what I'm looking for?

A.:confused:

Burple
26th January 2008, 11:14 PM
http://www.onelan.co.uk/ ?

Certainly not the cheapest option, but a couple of the departments at the Uni use them, and it looks pretty good.
I dunno if you could maybe show trailers with it too on part of the screen?

euan
27th January 2008, 09:37 AM
My old man got something recently that does similar, and he has a ticker, so I'll find out for you what he got.

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2008, 10:39 AM
http://www.onelan.co.uk/ ?

Certainly not the cheapest option, but a couple of the departments at the Uni use them, and it looks pretty good.
I dunno if you could maybe show trailers with it too on part of the screen?

Cheers Ewan, but that's a bit overkill. They are a huge set up, covering most Airports in the world etc.:o

My old man got something recently that does similar, and he has a ticker, so I'll find out for you what he got.

Cheers Euan.:D

A.;)

Bazthemod
27th January 2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.photodex.com/products/producer/

Try Proshow Andy, i have used this in past for video advertising for a clients pub. Really easy to use when you get used to interface and you can animate text too. You can also integrate video onto the slides and then save the show in alomost any format and size... handy if you want to scale is down and use on a web page. :)

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2008, 06:21 PM
Baz, many thanks for that link.;) I've downloaded ProShow Gold, as the Producer option seemed a bit over the top for what I required.:cool:

There's no doubt that programme is a gem, and will do some of what I would like. I've now decided to try and set the page in a html document, and fill the three sections with different content, thereby avoiding having to find one bit of software that does it all.

But, I can't for the life of me get the ProShowGold programme to output a flash file at a specific resolution. If I try 530 X 650 it always outputs at 530 X 561. Even if I try 530 X 1200, it outputs at 530 X 561. Do you have any experience with using it to output flash, and if so, were you able to get it to output a flash file at a specific resolution?

A.:D

Bazthemod
27th January 2008, 07:04 PM
I have used flash output for websites and if you selected custom and then put your sizes in i have never had any problems :confused:

If you are still struggling maybe try changing the actual canvas size of the slideshow to what you need then go to flash output.

Hope that helps :)

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2008, 07:08 PM
I have used flash output for websites and if you selected custom and then put your sizes in i have never had any problems :confused:

If you are still struggling maybe try changing the actual canvas size of the slideshow to what you need then go to flash output.

Hope that helps :)

Did all of the above Baz, and no joy at all. TBH, did all of that before you suggested it. (Don't want you to think I'm a complete idiot).:o

Getting very frustrated now.:confused: :confused:

Am I right in saying the canvas size is set in:

Show> General Show Options> Aspect Ratio> Change to Custom and set the size you wish?

Of am I talking bollocks, and there's a "Canvas Size" option hidden away somewhere?:o :confused:

Bazthemod
27th January 2008, 07:27 PM
I will have a look not used it in a while will report back soon lol its on my laptop :D

Gismo
27th January 2008, 07:38 PM
TBH, did all of that before you suggested it. (Don't want you to think I'm a complete idiot).:o
Too late for that mate :D :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2008, 07:45 PM
Too late for that mate :D :rolleyes:

True.:o :o

Bazthemod
27th January 2008, 08:12 PM
Hmmm had a look at mine, it is changing the canvas size but its keeping the overall size the same just changing the aspect if that makes sense.

Not sure how to get round it maybe try exporting as a webshow instead? :confused::)

Let me know how you get on!

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2008, 08:22 PM
yeah, that's whats happening with mine too.

The trouble with exporting as a web show is I can't get it to play in a HTML document, unless it's just a test page.:rolleyes: Annoying, because web shows do seem to be better quality. Will persevere.

Cheers,

A.;)

Scottie
27th January 2008, 10:13 PM
Why not strip naked and put on a bill board. :p :rolleyes: :D :D

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2008, 10:31 PM
Why not strip naked and put on a bill board. :p :rolleyes: :D :D

Ya dafty, I'm trying to encourage customers IN, not scare them away with nightmares.:rolleyes:

Scottie
27th January 2008, 10:33 PM
Ya dafty, I'm trying to encourage customers IN, not scare them away with nightmares.:rolleyes:

You never know. Hell I might even make a trip down to get a laugh.;) :rolleyes: :D :D

AndyP & Lenore
29th January 2008, 05:52 PM
Update: Mainly for Baz...

Got the Web Show output working! I forgot that you need to put the embedded object file in the same directory as the html file that draws it. I was just getting an empty black box until I remembered that. It looks the muts nuts now and I think I'll deffo go with this ProShowGold programme.:cool: :D

A bit disappointed with their customer support. Their web site says they respond to email questions the same day (7 days a week), I sent them an email on Sunday - still waiting for an answer.:rolleyes:

Cheers for the suggestion and your help though.;)

euan
29th January 2008, 06:46 PM
Andy - sorry for delay. I checked and the stuff my old man uses is built into their property system, so no use to you I'm afraid.

ProShow Gold support - my brother used them this week and had answer within 8 hours which solved the problem.

euan
29th January 2008, 06:46 PM
Andy - sorry for delay. I checked and the stuff my old man uses is built into their property system, so no use to you I'm afraid.

ProShow Gold support - my brother used them this week and had answer within 8 hours which solved the problem.

Doesn't help your situation like, but thought I'd stand up for them! :D:D

AndyP & Lenore
29th January 2008, 08:22 PM
Doesn't help your situation like, but thought I'd stand up for them! :D:D

Cheers Euan. I suspect it's because I'm just using a trial version of the software. If I was a registered user, I'm sure I'd get a reply quicker. But I did say in my email I was sampling the software and needed to know if it could carry out a certain task before purchase.:confused:

Bazthemod
30th January 2008, 10:38 AM
Good stuff Andy, iv never had the delight of customer services yet i usually just google problems im having and most people have had the same problems.

Bet it's looking bit more professional than powerpoint now lol ! :p