PDA

View Full Version : noisy engine when cold

ohfok1t
26th January 2008, 07:04 PM
hiya folks,

new here , got directed here by someone on another mini forum. as the title says i have the "tractor engine" noise when cold starting and someone on mini2 forum said that a couple of guys on here had this problem fixed by the dealers.
it would be great if someone could point me to the relevant thread or if anyone knows what the dealer done to fix the problem

regards
andy

The Dogfather
26th January 2008, 08:29 PM
hiya folks,

new here , got directed here by someone on another mini forum. as the title says i have the "tractor engine" noise when cold starting and someone on mini2 forum said that a couple of guys on here had this problem fixed by the dealers.
it would be great if someone could point me to the relevant thread or if anyone knows what the dealer done to fix the problem

regards
andy

Check Craigd's posts or drop him a PM he had a nightmare with his dealer. I think there's now a dealer who's actually fixing the fault.

Craig
26th January 2008, 08:43 PM
ah, the diesel noise.... glad those days are behind me...;) anyway, this appears to be caused by the cam chain tensioner. N12JLK and MarkyC got theirs fixed by the same dealer in Glasgow and as far as I am aware, the noise has not come back.

I'll pm you the name of the dealer as they have requested not to be named on this forum. :)

N12 JLK
27th January 2008, 03:16 PM
Yep, got it fixed in November and only had the noise once a couple of days later. Nothing since and it has been freezing.

ohfok1t
27th January 2008, 03:50 PM
so i take it the cam chain tensioner done the trick? my dealer is saying that the noise is normal and it has something to do with the egr valve...and they are trying to get another car the same as mine in so they can compare the noise.. forgot to mention mine is a peugeot 207 gt, but it shares the same engine as the cooper s

N12 JLK
27th January 2008, 04:23 PM
Yep, it did the trick. All sorted.

ianking
27th January 2008, 05:31 PM
.. forgot to mention mine is a peugeot 207 gt, but it shares the same engine as the cooper s

Except the Cooper S has more BHP thanks to a different ECU:D

KenL
27th January 2008, 07:16 PM
Except the Cooper S has more BHP thanks to a different ECU:D

No need for the "mine is bigger than your's" attitude :p

It is still the same engine ;)

Scottie
27th January 2008, 10:26 PM
isn't the 207gt cheaper.:p

ohfok1t
28th January 2008, 06:30 PM
just as well its cheaper, would hate to think i'd paid even more money for a car that sounds as bad as these engines do when cold!!!:D

andy

Craig
28th January 2008, 06:50 PM
to be honest Andy, that was one of the main reasons for me getting rid of mine, including the gearbox problem which they didn't know how to fix.

where are you located, could maybe meet to here your engine just to see if the noise is the same ?:)

ohfok1t
28th January 2008, 08:02 PM
i;m from near newcastle so quite a way of and it only happens when cold. as said in earlier post i was guided here by someone off mini2 forum to rey to get a bit more info on this noise.
so the fact i dont own a mini and i'am not from scotland, i hope you will forgive me ...lol

here is a link to a vid i took and upped it to youtube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZqJyf1hhU

what do you guys think?
this noise goes after a few mins, 6 mins being the longest! dealer is trying to say it is something to do with egr valve but i cant agree with that

andy

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2008, 08:06 PM
Oh my word Andy!!! Is that a Massy Ferguson or a John Deere?

We had the diesel noise a couple of days ago. Worst I've ever heard it. But it only lasted for 1/2 a mile and then it went away. If it persists, we'll get the car booked in to "a" dealer and have it looked at, but "the" dealer in question is a fair distance away from us.

A.:D

Craig
28th January 2008, 08:08 PM
Andy,

thats exactly the same noise as mine made (and a few friends on here) it is DEFO the cam chain tensioner that causes the problem.

If you are not getting anywhere with the dealer, get onto the manufacturers helpline and create merry hell, and see if they will "push" the dealer into looking at it properly.

Hope you get on better. :D

ohfok1t
28th January 2008, 08:38 PM
have been onto peugeit and the response i am getting is not very good, although they have said they will back up any decision the dealer makes.even though the dealer doesnt want to do owt without peugeot guiding them!! its now into the third week in the garage and they are waiting for a tool from peugeot for to check the oil pressure ?????

will have to wait and see what they come up with..... did everyone on here get the noise fixed by the cam chain tensioner? quite a few guys on mini 2 forum have said that this didnt make much of a difference.i will stay optimistic on this as each engine can be slightly different and what fixes one might not fix another

we shal wait and see!
andy

MarcoV
29th January 2008, 09:41 AM
Am i the only person who hasnt had a single problem with the R56?! No tapping, No diesel noises, No nothing!

KenL
29th January 2008, 08:36 PM
Am i the only person who hasnt had a single problem with the R56?! No tapping, No diesel noises, No nothing!

No.

The ONE, Cooper & Cooper D R56 are not affected by this "fault".

N12 JLK
29th January 2008, 10:25 PM
Crickey, that's not good. Ours was no where near that bad.