PDA

View Full Version : the Boeing 777 Accident

Scottie
18th January 2008, 07:43 PM
I think the Pilots done well getting that Plane over and in to the Airport area.

Saw last night on the news a couple of passenger just thought it was a bumpy landing and had no clue of anything wrong until the masks came down.

AndyP & Lenore
18th January 2008, 07:54 PM
This is my worst nightmare come to life. I'm not a hugely enthusiastic flyer, but I'm ok during take off and during the actual flying bit. I'm even not too bad if we get turbulence. But I absolutely, categorically, emphatically hate (with a vengeance) coming in to land. And you know what always goes through my head when we are about a mile out??? "What if the engines blow out?" Just ask Neil or Lenore what I'm like at landing time.:rolleyes: Bas****s thing it's funny.:rolleyes:

Lenore keeps telling me not to watch the news. But I can't help but to watch.

Those pilots are absolute f*****g hero's in my book. They deserve a medal - big time. Clearly every pilot's instinct came to life just when it needed to, and there are 130 odd people who owe them their lives.

But the person who said it seemed just like a bumpy landing??? WTF?!? One of the wheel assemblies is 100 yards behind the plane and the other one is forced up through the wing. Bumpy landing??? Holy sh*t.

A.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Scottie
18th January 2008, 07:57 PM
I agree with you about the passengers and bumpy landing but you got to remember it's "very British" had it been a plane full of Americans can you imagine:eek: they would have been hysteric:rolleyes: :D

AndyP & Lenore
18th January 2008, 08:01 PM
I agree with you about the passengers and bumpy landing but you got to remember it's "very British" had it been a plane full of Americans can you imagine:eek: they would have been hysteric:rolleyes: :D

LOL. Too true.

British passenger comment: "That landing was a tad bumpy"

US Passenger comment: "OMG, I thought we were gonna die!":eek: :eek:

A.:D

Scottie
18th January 2008, 08:07 PM
I am not a frequent flyer.

At my peek I was flying about once a month and that was Glasgow to Bristol on Dash 8 and more recently well up until last year was on the Shorts I didn't enjoy those planes anything from a 737 upwards get my vote.

I have no fear of flying well what I mean I have no fear of the act of taking off,landing or flying.

My problem is the "what if's" I still would fly but I get awful headaches about 4 days prior to flying on the day of flying I have nothing to say to anyone get on the plane suffer it all then land and then I burst into tears. It's a laugh really everyone looks at me but I can't help it.:o :o :o

AndyP & Lenore
18th January 2008, 08:14 PM
When we went down to MPH in Birmingham in November, we had some dodgy little twin prop thing. Nasty nasty little thing. Noisey as hell, and we were delayed because they didn't have a big enough battery to start the engines. Needless to say, this filled me with confidence.

A.:o

Craig
18th January 2008, 09:24 PM
I have to agree that what I have read and seen, the pilots are heros. to bring something down that big without it becoming a fireball or killing anyone is nothing short of a miracle.

bet the folk on that plane are playing the euromillions lottery tonight..:cool:

euan
18th January 2008, 09:57 PM
I agree, the pilots deserve a lot of plaudits. The engines apparently went at 500 feet, that would freak you at if you were the pilot! Too close to the ground for the passengers to really know what's going on.

I used to fly every week and still fly at least every other month (pleasure now, not work). I hate it when it's bumpy but by and large it doesn't bother me. Had I been flying today would I have been bothered? Probably not - that's not to say it might not have come into my head by do you remember all the stuff about them apparently trying to blow jets out of the sky flying out of heathrow with missiles? I flew out of Heathrow that day the news broke. I don't normally drink before flying, but i made best use of the business lounge that day!!!!

Andy - I've flown that plane from Birmingham - it's not as bad as the one I flew a few years ago into London City - it's even smaller and I had to pack my own bag in the hold...

FergusM
18th January 2008, 10:37 PM
I remember flying out of Phoenix in a storm... big bolt of lightning hit the planes wing...quite spectacular to see. Loud bang etc, as wing was still attached I was not bothered... about 5 minutes later pilot came on to inform us that it was lightining that caused the loud bang and that the planes were designed for such things...

I was not at all bothered, but American woman beside me was in tears...though she calmed down when the pilot said it was alright.

vintageb3
18th January 2008, 10:54 PM
The flight to Stornaway can be fun at times.;) The plane is normally a twin prop affair.

Its normally the same faces that fly back and forth week in...week out.

There's a pilot that used to fly to the Western Isles that was severely reprimanded for playing the trick he always played on a "new" passenger especially if the passenger was a bit of a nervous flyer.

He would wait until he was at cruising altitude then back out of the ****pit with a piece of cord in each hand. He would back up the aisle until he reached the nervous passenger and hand them the two cords asking if they could keep the plane level while he nipped to the toilet.

The number of times he actually caught folk out was more than you would think.

You would think that most people would know that there was a co-pilot on these flights....but it seems not everyone knows this.;)

mark

zimbo
19th January 2008, 03:40 PM
Just ask Neil or Lenore what I'm like at landing time.:rolleyes: Bas****s thing it's funny.:rolleyes:

A.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry Andy but I cant lie to you, I did have a little laugh to myself reading this reply you posted. I'm sorry you have a dislike so to speak of flying.

I myself love flying no matter what and always have and always will, I mean if a plane im travelling on crashes and its my time to go then its my time to go! I know that sounds morbid. @ least I'll have gone doing something I love.

But I must say those passengers on the flight that crash landed @ Heathrow who say they didnt realise there was anything wrong and that it just felt like a bumpy landing... I mean, to quote Andy "WTF" I mean when the engines fail @ 500 FT or what ever it was, you'd know about it, I mean the sudden silence in the plane due to no engine noises alone would surely get people thinking!?.

Once again Andy sorry for laughing at your reply.

AndyP & Lenore
19th January 2008, 04:01 PM
Sorry Andy but I cant lie to you, I did have a little laugh to myself reading this reply you posted. I'm sorry you have a dislike so to speak of flying.

I myself love flying no matter what and always have and always will, I mean if a plane im travelling on crashes and its my time to go then its my time to go! I know that sounds morbid. @ least I'll have gone doing something I love.

But I must say those passengers on the flight that crash landed @ Heathrow who say they didnt realise there was anything wrong and that it just felt like a bumpy landing... I mean, to quote Andy "WTF" I mean when the engines fail @ 500 FT or what ever it was, you'd know about it, I mean the sudden silence in the plane due to no engine noises alone would surely get people thinking!?.

Once again Andy sorry for laughing at your reply.

Thats OK Zimbo, I laugh at myself at times. I feel like such an idiot when we eventually get on the ground and everything has gone fine. But it's not easy getting down, if you know what I mean.

Most embarrassing moment was:

Lenore and I flew out to Florida a couple of years ago. Flew with Virgin, big 747 four engine jumbo plane. Good flight, very little turbulence and everything was going fine, but then we had to land.....

I was doing my usual squirming in my seat, terrified of the landing and just before the plane touched down we seemed to veer to the right. Literally 2 seconds later, the wheels touched down and the whole plane jerked to the left, presumably just "squaring up on the runway". But this gave me a huge fright and I let out an involuntary shout of "OH!". Unfortunately, it seemed like all 300 other passengers heard me as they all turned round and some laughed, some just tipped their head to one side and said "awwww". As if to say, "poor wee thing, scared of flying". I look round at Lenore and she's in stitches.:eek: :o :o :o

Happy to leave that flight, let me tell ya!

zimbo
19th January 2008, 04:43 PM
:D poor Andy...

AndyP & Lenore
19th January 2008, 05:11 PM
:D poor Andy...

You tipped your head and shook it gently when you typed that didn't you?:o

Craig
19th January 2008, 05:14 PM
You tipped your head and shook it gently when you typed that didn't you?:o

can't speak for Zimbo, but I was rolling about on the floor laughing... ;) :p :D

duncan
19th January 2008, 07:16 PM
Well, I'm glad we can go off topic in the OT&B section, as there's loads of posts that aren't about the LHR incident. ;)

As for the flight crew, yep, they've done a great job, and their trainings kicked in very well.

I must say though, the designers of the aircraft also deserve a huge pat on the back for designing such a strong frame, that didn't just disintigrate on landing.