PDA

View Full Version : rear washer stopped working

pamelab21
18th January 2008, 04:42 PM
after all the fros a couple of weeks ago my rear washer stopped working. Thought at the time it was just frozen but after the frost went its still not working.
Is this a common fault? Can't see any water getting into the car anywhere, is it easy for ny hubby to check himself?

(warranty has expired)

Thanks all :D

Craig
18th January 2008, 05:55 PM
have a look at the nozzle and if you have a wee pin, put in inside the nozzle to check it's not blocked. also, when you use the rear wash, can you hear the pump? if so, then it's probably a break in the line or the jet that is faulty. You could take the nozzle off and see if the water is coming thro, that way you knowif it's the nozzle or line...

hope this helps.

C:D

KenL
18th January 2008, 07:09 PM
I had a Punto, if you tried to operate the rear washer and there was ice in the tube, it would push the pipe of the nozzle.

Might be worth checking the fuse too.

Bazthemod
19th January 2008, 12:08 AM
Mines was doing same... flip bottom of the wiper arm out and clean gunk out of the hose.. as you can imagine the amount of dirt that ends up on back of car clogs the jet over time.

Altho if you leave the case flipped out it makes a great water pistol for tailgaters :eek::mad::D

Gorbash12346
19th January 2008, 06:45 PM
ok heres the steps

1 does the pump sound like it's working??
2 at the rear of the front drivers wheel arch is there water coming out when you operate the rear washer??

if so then you need to remove the wheel arch liner (bonnet up and a philips screwdriver to remove the three speed clips (one closest to your driveshaft, one at the end of the arch trim just inside the lip, and one on the underside front edge of the skirt and the screw at the top

you should find the pipe has blown off the pump simply re-attach it and cable tie all the joints to ensure it doesn't happen again

if there is nothing coming out then flip the end up on the rear washer jet (base of the wiper arm and try again if water comes out then you will likely need a new rear washer jet

(this only works on the version where the plastic cap is actually the washer jet and not the rod that goes into the wiper motor

hope this helps and isn't too confusing

tadlaj
21st January 2008, 08:53 AM
Hiya,
I had this a few months ago and the pin down the nozzle worked. Stopped again a few days ago and this time the pin trick didn't work. Popped off the nozzle from the wiper arm and found it really gunked up. Cleaned it out, checked the water was getting through while the nozzle was off, replaced and hey presto!:)

pamelab21
21st January 2008, 11:39 AM
thanks for all replies. Hubby checked the car out at the weekend and started at the wrong end of the car, taking off the wing and wheel etc to check the pipe. Then discovered it was just a blocked nozzle at the actual rear window.
I think he just likes to take things apart and put them back together again. He took great pleasure in calling me out the house to look at poor Horace in pieces :mad: He did manage to soak himself though so that was a plus :p
Anyway, now working. Thanks all!