PDA

View Full Version : Window Problem

Craig
12th January 2008, 03:18 PM
has anybody had a problem with their windows in the cold weather?

this is a problem on my sisters convertible. The symptoms are when it is cold, she opens the door and the window doesn't drop, also when closing, the back edge of the window sits on the outside of the hood, which will not only let in water, but is a security risk.. I also think it might do damage to the window or gubbins down below..

has anybody has this problme before? Is it a fault with the window mechanism? it only seems to happen when the weather is cold.

thanks for any help. :cool:

Ivano
12th January 2008, 03:34 PM
My Sister's drivers window stopped working in early December.. Electric window would not work and window didn't drop when opening and closing door...

I believe the Motor had gone so it was replaced and all under Warranty

Craig
12th January 2008, 03:48 PM
thanks for that Ivan, my first thought was the motor/mechanism, but cos it only happens when it's cold, not sure if the motor is faulty, or there is an electrical fault...:confused:

FergusM
12th January 2008, 05:25 PM
Sounds more like a motor fault... I work on microcontrollers that go into cars...tested to -40Deg C. So they should not be affected by our winters.

KenL
12th January 2008, 09:01 PM
Is it not just the glass frozen to the window rubbers?

The windows on our Aygo would not go down this morning due to this.

N12 JLK
12th January 2008, 09:01 PM
sorry we never had this fault but in our r53 when it was cold weather we couldnt get our doors open and when we did they wouldnt close. seemed to freeze up too easy.

KenL
12th January 2008, 09:25 PM
sorry we never had this fault but in our r53 when it was cold weather we couldnt get our doors open and when we did they wouldnt close. seemed to freeze up too easy.

My R50 ONE was like this.

I've been treating my R56 door seals with "gummipflege" rubber treatment (to stop the windows making a chattering noise), it also helps prevent the doors freezing shut.

PETR0L
12th January 2008, 09:48 PM
...weird, mine did it when it was humid out. i thought it was due to moisture build up!!!??

i have a r53.

Crombers
13th January 2008, 04:42 PM
Nope......... ;)

Mini Ecosse
13th January 2008, 10:01 PM
I have had problems on two occasions when frosty. Window did not drop when door opened. The door therfore would not shut properly. However after driving for a short distance I open door and window drops and then door closes properly!

Stephen

Craig
13th January 2008, 10:18 PM
OK, seems from the replys that this is just due to cold weather and the freezing of the windows... prob worse with a convertible due to air movement.

thanks for responses. will put by big sis's mind at ease.. :)

Burple
14th January 2008, 01:28 AM
Craig, I had something similar on my old white Cooper.

It did it a few times, as well as having the ol' BC1 fault of dancing windows.

After that was replaced, it didn't happen again, so it might be worth checking out.. I'm sure Zimbo's Silver Cooper had it happen a few times too..