PDA

View Full Version : 15" Tyres

lightbody
4th April 2003, 08:36 PM
My front tyres are worn out (after 16000 miles). They're standard 175/65x15 Dunlop SP 200s (I think!).

I'm trying to decide whether to change all 4 tyres for wider 195/60x15s instead but am not sure if this will spoil the car for me or not!

AGAINST:- I like the feeling of it being "light on its feet" and nimble, I like the ride comfort and quietness of the standard tyres and I like that its difficult to kerb them and that that they DO have limits I can reach without killing myself!

FOR:- They don't exactly offer the ultimate in grip levels and look really skinny too!

What should I do??

If i could find a set of White 16" wheels & tyres I'd swap and see how I got on...

Monsta Mo Mini
4th April 2003, 10:16 PM
I'd go up to the 16s Rob. I think they look much better, fill the arches more and you've got the extra grip.

PS - Are you coming along on Sunday?

lightbody
5th April 2003, 01:29 AM
I can't come on Sunday, unfortunately, due to doing too much stuff for my other Mini-life tonight and tomorrow! I can't spend the entire weekend doing mini stuff - not this weekend at least!!

KenL
24th April 2003, 12:05 AM
Rob,

What did you decide to do with your tyres?

Cheers, KenL

lightbody
26th April 2003, 05:20 AM
Going to stick with the 15s... when I can find them! I have no money... Also, 17,000 miles on the original tyres while driving very, very hard at times isnt bad at all!

Also I have a theory that I would kill myself with 16s, the 15s slide nicely around corners which usually warns me to slow down a bit... I think the 16s would hang on just that bit longer...

Julz
26th April 2003, 08:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Also I have a theory that I would kill myself with 16s

Mmmm, I'm thinking of getting a set of 19's so I've had it then!!;)

lightbody
26th April 2003, 10:18 PM
19s is just crazy! The original Mini handled a treat on 10" wheels!

Mind you with 19" wheels, the car may look small...

Julz
27th April 2003, 09:31 PM
Ah, but the 19's are just a part of my little plan!!;)

Linda M
28th April 2003, 02:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Ah, but the 19's are just a part of my little plan!!;)

Building a tractor are you Julz? ;):D
Seriously though. I dunno if anyone has fitted 19's to a MINI :eek:

knaone
28th April 2003, 03:40 AM
i am sure i saw a mini with 19s, it got planted into a motorway barrier?! :dead:

I know a mini will take 18s no bother but 19s may be a bit of a tight fit :eek: may need some mechanic with a BIG hammer to try and get them in? i dunno, so if they don't need this lemme know :sleepy:

lightbody
29th April 2003, 11:32 PM
And today's shocking news is.... that the MINI Dealer's quote for tyres is the cheapest I can find at £49 each inc. fitting! Woo hoo! I also presume they'll know how to jack it up without bending it and how not to scratch the wheels!

- Rob (Happy punter)

KenL
30th April 2003, 08:21 AM
That's good news Rob.

Are you getting the standard 175/65/15 tyres and are they Pirelli/Dunlop or something else?

Does your dealer do it themselves then or farm it out to a local tyre fitter?

lightbody
30th April 2003, 10:18 PM
Standard tyres - Dunlop SP200 - which are hard to find in ordinary places in that size. As fitted at the factory.

The dealer does them I think (Henry Bros Glasgow) - they are "squeezing me in" tomorrow.

KenL
1st May 2003, 07:13 AM
Rob,

I've got the Dunlops and they seem pretty good to me. They're wearing well too.

I was curious as to whether you'd gone up to 185 or 195 as I'd heard that tyres in those sizes were cheaper and more available. £49 each is very good though. So glad I don't have 17" runflats !!!

Monsta Mo Mini
1st May 2003, 04:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL
So glad I don't have 17" runflats !!!

Doh! - thankfully mine seem to be wearing very well and that's me at 12,000miles - can't be driving it hard enough then:D:D

Julz
1st May 2003, 08:53 PM
I have been officially told (and seen!) that 19's fit a mini rather nicely, so mine shall be on order within the next few days hopefully!
As for BabyB, I'm hoping her new look will be in place for the Perthshire run (got to get this bloody wedding thing out the way first!!):D:D
I'd recommend performancealloys.com for alloys and tyres!!!;)

lightbody
2nd May 2003, 04:04 AM
... and they hoovered it inside thoroughly too!!

:-D

Woz
6th May 2003, 01:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I have been officially told (and seen!) that 19's fit a mini rather nicely, so mine shall be on order within the next few days hopefully!
As for BabyB, I'm hoping her new look will be in place for the Perthshire run (got to get this bloody wedding thing out the way first!!):D:D
I'd recommend performancealloys.com for alloys and tyres!!!;)

At least tires should be cheap. Just a quick visit to the corner shop for elastic bands every few weeks :D

What tire size do 19s need, 205*15?