PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your windows?

euan
12th January 2008, 10:15 AM
Leading on from Andy P's thread (and an attempt to keep his on topic :D), what does anyone recommend for keeping the glass clean, inside and out?

I find the inside of the car a particular pain, maybe I'm using the wrong type of cloths but I always get marks on it which show up in the early morning sunshine we've got just now (well, when it's not lashing it down!)

I used to use Rain X but found it streaked after a couple of weeks and at the time didn't have time to continually reapply.

So, any suggestions?

Crombers
12th January 2008, 10:18 AM
As always ........................................ Fairy Liquid ;) :D

Gismo
12th January 2008, 10:26 AM
I use any consumer product, ie windolene or similar, usually about twice a year is good enough :)

Craig
12th January 2008, 10:44 AM
I take a basin of warm water with fairy in it out to the car and use that to get rid of all the muck on the windows. Then I use Auto-Glym glass polish to bring them up sparkly. To finish on the outside I use Zymol Cleaner Wax which allows the windows to bead and the side windows never get any water on them as it just runs off when you drive. :D

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2008, 10:51 AM
We were in Costco the other day and bought a pack of Rain . X. It has the usual spray bottle of Rain X, a pack of windscreen wipes and a bottle of glass cleaner. Haven't tried them yet, but will do when I get round to the detailing session in the planning.;)

A.:D

vintageb3
12th January 2008, 11:14 AM
Waste of time for me on my side windows since BMW over used silicone on the guides and rubbers...and this was for a rattle complaint on the roof at the rear??? My glass gets marked with one operation of the windows now:mad:

I normally use Klasse All in one on the outside...and whatever on the inside. I used to love the Autoglym stuff though but ran out.

mark

euan
12th January 2008, 11:26 AM
If you use fairy, do you use it before you wash the car or after? Just thinking it might strip off whatever you've just washed the car with?

Also, we're all green in our house and use Ecover, which I suspect won't have the same effect...

Zymol Cleaning Wax - that's not specifically for glass is it?

N12 JLK
12th January 2008, 11:37 AM
Mr Muscle glass cleaner.

Smashing!

Craig
12th January 2008, 11:52 AM
If you use fairy, do you use it before you wash the car or after? Just thinking it might strip off whatever you've just washed the car with?

Also, we're all green in our house and use Ecover, which I suspect won't have the same effect...

Zymol Cleaning Wax - that's not specifically for glass is it?

I only do my windows with fairy every 2 or 3 months, cos once you've done it, unless you have lots of kids in your car, your windows will stay very clean with the wax on them.

the Zymol Cleaner Wax is not specific to windows, but I have found that it works very well at keeping them clean. My side windows always have virtually no water on them after a drive and they bead all the time when it rains.

hope this helps. :D

john
12th January 2008, 12:17 PM
Warn soapy water!!and a chamois;)

Ivano
12th January 2008, 12:28 PM
Autoglym Glass Polish (Although its residue when it drys marks the plastic surrounds (White powdery stuff)

Warm water and a little Vinegar works a treat too (Smear free finish)

euan
12th January 2008, 12:58 PM
I only do my windows with fairy every 2 or 3 months, cos once you've done it, unless you have lots of kids in your car, your windows will stay very clean with the wax on them.

the Zymol Cleaner Wax is not specific to windows, but I have found that it works very well at keeping them clean. My side windows always have virtually no water on them after a drive and they bead all the time when it rains.

hope this helps. :D

Nice one, will try that!

Fi, what was the stuff you were talking about this week?

stoney
12th January 2008, 06:09 PM
Mr Muscle glass cleaner.

Smashing!

2nd that thats what i use dose not streak !!!:D :D :D

Scottie
12th January 2008, 06:31 PM
Nice one, will try that!

Fi, what was the stuff you were talking about this week?

Stoners. Invisible Glass the Americans go on about this stuff and thought I wold give it a go.

You see being a smoker:( :( my glass in the car gets in a terrible state. So I need something that works.

I thought I had found a great product in NXT glass cleaner until I tried Stoners Invisible Glass.

Have to get Allan to do the front windows as my arms wont reach all the way.:D :D

stoney
12th January 2008, 10:00 PM
Stoners. Invisible Glass the Americans go on about this stuff and thought I wold give it a go.

You see being a smoker:( :( my glass in the car gets in a terrible state. So I need something that works.

I thought I had found a great product in NXT glass cleaner until I tried Stoners Invisible Glass.

Have to get Allan to do the front windows as my arms wont reach all the way.:D :D

well i have 2 get my self some of that if just for the name :D :D

The Dogfather
12th January 2008, 10:12 PM
Interior, micro fibre cloths and nowt else. Outside same stuff as the rest of the car (Autoglym Shampoo). All the windows have been treated with Rain X, I'm going to do the house windows with the stuff as well :D

ianking
13th January 2008, 04:51 PM
Autoglym glass polish is pretty good although it is a bit dusty.

I use Zymol HD Cleanse on the inside and outside of every window. I then do all the outside windows again, except the windscreen with Zymol Carbon Wax.

s12cot
20th February 2008, 02:31 PM
Vinegar for the front window... and wax for the rest

eddie 44
6th April 2008, 04:56 PM
vinegar and some old news paper... ( no chips ) :p

AeroJonny
7th April 2008, 12:28 PM
I use any consumer product, ie windolene or similar, usually about twice a year is good enough :)

that often??? You're losing your touch ;)

gauldrymini
7th April 2008, 01:03 PM
Just put my first ever application of Rain X on external glass and looking at the car outside seems to be beading nicely time will tell...

Inside windows, tried a few things, but found that most cleaning products work well if wiped off with newspaper seems to be better than paper towels less smearing...

Burple
7th April 2008, 02:05 PM
Interior, micro fibre cloths and nowt else. Outside same stuff as the rest of the car (Autoglym Shampoo). All the windows have been treated with Rain X, I'm going to do the house windows with the stuff as well :D

Lol.. beat you to it.. I've been using it on the mirror in my shower for a while now.. Handy being able to see which parts of your head you're shaving!! :D:D:D:D

euan
7th April 2008, 02:21 PM
Lol.. beat you to it.. I've been using it on the mirror in my shower for a while now.. Handy being able to see which parts of your head you're shaving!! :D:D:D:D

Now that is a genius idea!