PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday night gripe

vintageb3
8th January 2008, 08:06 PM
:mad:

On my way to work there are two sets of traffic lights that have been renewed recently. They are both pedestrian crossings. Of course they are LED lights...which are great in the respect that they consume a lot less power...and they last an inordinate amount of time. Good for the environment etc.

BUT!!!!! They cause so much glare in the dark that there's no way you can see if someone is standing under the lights waiting to cross. There's very little street lighting at these crossings....so all you see is a really glaring light....and nothing past the light. Its a bit like a big green stationary foglight:eek: (see what i did there;) )

OK...one could argue that if the light is green...you have right of way....so if someone walks out in front of you...they are at fault.

However, I'm sure like everyone else...when I approach any crossing...I check if I have right of way, then check to see if there are any kids or old folks at the crossing and work out if they know if I have right of way.

In essence, these lights have taken away my ability to double check the operation of the lights.

Someone behind sounded their horn at me tonight...because i had to slow way down to make the check that i normally always make....must have had to drop 10MPh or so.

Can others on here pay attention to these new LED crossings and tell me if they feel the lighting is poor? (i.e. too bright) I'm sure if they added a light to the top shining down onto the pavement in low lit areas...this could maybe solve the problem.

Or...am I getting old like Andy Poole?

mark

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 09:03 PM
Can I suggest these:?

http://www.rugift.com/images/night-vision-goggles-nzt-22.jpg

A.;)

Sweeney
8th January 2008, 09:04 PM
Have noticed the intense glare caused by these, few sets been erected on my daily commute.

Not enough to force me to slow down mind you, maybe your just getting auld ;) :D

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 09:06 PM
There's a few down here in the sleepy Borders too. I guess they must have discovered LED's.:rolleyes: But I have to say, I haven't had any trouble at all.

A.;)

vintageb3
8th January 2008, 09:09 PM
Can I suggest these:?

http://www.rugift.com/images/night-vision-goggles-nzt-22.jpg

A.;)

Keep on topic!:rolleyes: ;)

mark

Craig
8th January 2008, 09:14 PM
yeah I think fixed rate mortgages are the best for the current market

N12 JLK
8th January 2008, 09:16 PM
yeah I think fixed rate mortgages are the best for the current market

What about capped!!

vintageb3
8th January 2008, 09:17 PM
Have noticed the intense glare caused by these, few sets been erected on my daily commute.

Not enough to force me to slow down mind you, maybe your just getting auld ;) :D

There's nothing surer...I am getting old;)

Was there much street lighting around these lights?

These two sets I'm talking about have very little street lighting as I have said. I really feel these two crossings are potential accident spots.

I don't suppose the local council would have the foresight to view these new crossings at night?

mark

Craig
8th January 2008, 09:17 PM
What about capped!!

yeah, but that still fluctuates...

vintageb3
8th January 2008, 09:19 PM
Not like toasters though...I will discuss kettles at a later date...

mark

Sweeney
8th January 2008, 09:20 PM
Nah theres very little around them either, approaching and moving away my interior comes over all "green" :p

euan
8th January 2008, 09:20 PM
There's nothing surer...I am getting old;)

Was there much street lighting around these lights?

These two sets I'm talking about have very little street lighting as I have said. I really feel these two crossings are potential accident spots.

I don't suppose the local council would have the foresight to view these new crossings at night?

mark

Surely then, if they are in dimly lit areas, it's better that you should be able to see them clearer? Particularly if it slows people down?

The Dogfather
8th January 2008, 09:28 PM
Seen the new bond girl she's hotter than kettles and toasters

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 09:32 PM
Aye, fogs are a PITA when used when it's not FOGGY!!!!!:mad:

A.:D

vintageb3
8th January 2008, 09:32 PM
I disagree Euan. These lights are the only thing you can see...NOTHING else.

There's so much light you can see the small print on your mortgage agreement. Pity there's not enough heat to toast bread by....this would negate the need for a toaster...but what of kettles?

mark

Burple
9th January 2008, 11:14 AM
:mad:

Its a bit like a big green stationary foglight:eek: (see what i did there;) )

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/270916539_5a9c0691ef.jpg

;):D

euan
9th January 2008, 12:34 PM
I disagree Euan. These lights are the only thing you can see...NOTHING else.

There's so much light you can see the small print on your mortgage agreement. Pity there's not enough heat to toast bread by....this would negate the need for a toaster...but what of kettles?

mark

Blimey, that is bright if it can blind you from seeing all the scenery :D

I know what you mean though, these new LED lights can be very bright and annoying.

It's one of the reasons I have started to re-use my handbrake as the 3 series has LED brake lights and they are VERY bright. Of course, if someone is behind me and bugging me, I'll sit there with the brakes full on. And maybe the fog lights :D And get this, I'll do it if it's not foggy!

(that last bit is a lie of course. It's not to annoy them. It's because it looks cool. ;))