PDA

View Full Version : An Off topic Off topic and Banter board

duncan
7th January 2008, 11:57 PM
Can we have a new "Off Topic Off Topic and Banter board", so we can actually have threads that can go off topic?

Its becoming a tad boring with all these "keep On topic in the Off Topic board" reminders :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
8th January 2008, 12:00 AM
Can we have a new "Off Topic Off Topic and Banter board", so we can actually have threads that can go off topic?

Its becoming a tad boring with all these "keep On topic in the Off Topic board" reminders :rolleyes:

I also thought the rule was, off topic was off topic it could go anywhere that's part of the fun. Come on refs what does the rule book say.

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 12:05 AM
I also thought the rule was, off topic was off topic it could go anywhere that's part of the fun. Come on refs what does the rule book say.

My understanding is that all threads should remain reasonably within the original posters topic, even in the off-topic forum.

If I am incorrect in this, I'd be happy for Gaj or MMM to correct me and I will refrain from further outbursts. Honest!

As much as it may seem like I do, I really don't jump onto the first off-topic post and delete/amend/moan. Honest! I usually wait until the thread conversation has drifted before I say anything, and when I do I try to be as polite as I can. Honest - again!

A.;)

The Dogfather
8th January 2008, 12:11 AM
My understanding is that all threads should remain reasonably within the original posters topic, even in the off-topic forum.

If I am incorrect in this, I'd be happy for Gaj or MMM to correct me and I will refrain from further outbursts. Honest!

As much as it may seem like I do, I really don't jump onto the first off-topic post and delete/amend/moan. Honest! I usually wait until the thread conversation has drifted before I say anything, and when I do I try to be as polite as I can. Honest - again!

A.;)

Andy, this isn't a dig. The old way was anything went in OTB, and that's the way I like it. The OTB is good because a thread will ramble along then all of a sudden it would get life and bomb along until everyone got bored. I understand pulling things back in other forums, but we demand our right to roam (ramble) in the OTB.

If the original poster has a problem with this they can always mention it at the start of the thread.

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 12:15 AM
Andy, this isn't a dig. The old way was anything went in OTB, and that's the way I like it. The OTB is good because a thread will ramble along then all of a sudden it would get life and bomb along until everyone got bored. I understand pulling things back in other forums, but we demand our right to roam (ramble) in the OTB.

If the original poster has a problem with this they can always mention it at the start of the thread.

Hey, I'll go with the flow.;) My understanding has always been that OTaB threads still need moderated to keep them within the topic subject. I'm pretty sure BS goes by that rule too.:confused:

Looks like we need guidance from one of the Admins!

MMM - There's decent in the ranks! HELP!!!!:eek:

A.:D

Scottie
8th January 2008, 12:18 AM
did anyone watch Road Rage on BB1 tonight.

oop's sorry off topic.:p :p :D :D

Just keep modding Andy don't think anyone is that bothered :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
8th January 2008, 12:21 AM
Andy, we know you'll go with the flow, but it's worth a debate. You can be Master debater if you wish?

duncan
8th January 2008, 12:27 AM
I just don't see the point of an Off Topic board, if you can't go "Off Topic"

The "Topic" is the New MINI, and anything else isn't about the New MINI, and therefore "Off Topic" should go there.

However - in this case - its the Off Topic & Banter board.

This indicates a major difference to than just purely non New MINI threads. Its Banter. Even the description says "General Banter, Jokes and Piss Taking"

Unless you want to add a new section for General Motoring - which I don't think is a good idea - this is a New MINI website first and foremost - then threads about different cars will attract "Banter" which may be Off topic.

duncan
8th January 2008, 12:28 AM

Just keep modding Andy don't think anyone is that bothered :rolleyes:

This isn't the Off Topic and Banter Board though. :rolleyes:

Gismo
8th January 2008, 12:37 AM
My understanding has always been that OT&B threads still need moderated to keep them within the topic subject. I'm pretty sure BS goes by that rule too.:confused:
Erm nope :D the OT&B threads are exactly that, they always go off topic, but, they generally follow a certain pattern, however, if the original poster wants it to stay on topic then they should mention it in the intial post or ask for the offending posts to be removed :)

Gismo
8th January 2008, 12:39 AM

I saw it, amazing stuff, can't believe how bad many cyclists in London were, and, as for that twat in the big bus who drove his kids 400 yards to school.............:eek:

Scottie
8th January 2008, 12:40 AM
I saw it, amazing stuff, can't believe how bad many cyclists in London were, and, as for that twat in the big bus who drove his kids 400 yards to school.............:eek:

I worry about these guys on the bikes shooting the red lights and stuff.:eek:

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 01:10 AM
Erm nope :D the OT&B threads are exactly that, they always go off topic, but, they generally follow a certain pattern, however, if the original poster wants it to stay on topic then they should mention it in the intial post or ask for the offending posts to be removed :)

Well, I have to admit, that's the first I've heard of that. I am even absolutely convinced, in the past when someone questions being pulled up for going off (original) topic, you have said that even in off-topic forum, threads should remain on the original topic.

I always understood it to be the original topic that was deemed as the "off topic" bit. The continuing thread should then (as best as possible) follow that (off) topic.

However, I stand corrected, and will in future allow complete free ramblings within all OT&B threads, unless the original poster requests otherwise.

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 01:54 AM
Alan, please accept my apologies.... It wasn't your post that I was sure I had read in the past regarding staying on-topic in the off-topic forums. It was Gaj's:

Nope - I didn't delete anything. 'Off topic and banter' is what it says on the tin, but each thread should really remain focussed on the subject that the originator intended. But I'm sure everyone knows that really!;)

The above post was in the Young Drivers Curfew thread. I'm really not trying to pick a fight with anyone here, I am just trying to keep to the rules, as I saw them.

So I guess the subject is back for feedback from Gaj or MMM?????

duncan
8th January 2008, 02:17 AM
Fair enough, Andy, its something that needs clarified.

however, I'd give it more than 20 minutes before you tell everyone to go back on topic.

You never know, that might just happen in its own course anyway. ;)

Scottie
8th January 2008, 08:50 AM
Alan, please accept my apologies.... It wasn't your post that I was sure I had read in the past regarding staying on-topic in the off-topic forums. It was Gaj's:

The above post was in the Young Drivers Curfew thread. I'm really not trying to pick a fight with anyone here, I am just trying to keep to the rules, as I saw them.

So I guess the subject is back for feedback from Gaj or MMM?????

How long did it take for you to search for that one out.;) ;) :p

Gismo
8th January 2008, 08:53 AM
Exactly what i was thinking :D

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 09:16 AM

Exactly what i was thinking :D

About 2 mins. And really it was just to satisfy myself that I wasn't going mad and imagining things.:D

The Dogfather
8th January 2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, but how are you going to explain the voices in your head?

monsta mo mini admin
8th January 2008, 09:49 AM
As BS mentioned - OT&B threads can go anywhere they like. The main forums are ideally used as an information resource by interested parties so remaining on topic is beneficial to all. For anyone using the OT&B as an information resource - everything printed in The Sun is true and you must send me all your money ;)

Sorry Andy:p

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 10:59 AM
As BS mentioned - OT&B threads can go anywhere they like. The main forums are ideally used as an information resource by interested parties so remaining on topic is beneficial to all. For anyone using the OT&B as an information resource - everything printed in The Sun is true and you must send me all your money ;)

Ok Calum, thanks for the clarification. Any idea why Gaj would say that an OT&B thread should "remain focused on the subject"? Cos that's all I was trying to do.:o

Now waaaaaaaaaaaait just a minute...... are you telling me The Sun sometimes doesn't print the truth? Shockeroooney!:eek: :eek: :D

stoney
8th January 2008, 11:44 AM
high ho silver and away we go :D :p

Gismo
8th January 2008, 12:41 PM
As BS mentioned - OT&B threads can go anywhere they like.

Nice one :D get it up ya, ya power mad popcorn dispatcher :D

Scottie
8th January 2008, 01:21 PM
everything in moderation now chaps.:p ;)

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 02:48 PM
everything in moderation now chaps.:p ;)

Very good Fi, I like what you did there.:rolleyes:

Craig
8th January 2008, 06:41 PM
Well for what it's worth, I always thought that the Off Topic and Banter forum was a forum for topics which were not to do with the MINI.

I was also under the impression that once a topic had been started in a forum (regardless of what forum) then it had to stay pretty much on topic. I didn't rea;ise that a topic which started about a specific camera say, could end up talking about plumbing problems. That will make it "Interesting" trying to find info about a certain topic in OFTB. :rolleyes:

well, you learn something new every day. ;) :D

let the chaos begin....:cool:

duncan
8th January 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm not aware of many threads, before the last week or so, that have been "Moded", so I can't see how it will suddenly change posters behaviour.

All it needed was a wee bit of clarification, and that's what we now have.

And I'd ask a plumber, or a Photographer about those subjects, if you want vital information. Not just someone with an interest in MINIs. :p

Sheilz
7th March 2008, 10:48 PM
MMM - There's decent in the ranks! HELP!!!!:eek:

On NMS - That's down right shocking:eek::D:D:D