PDA

View Full Version : 2003 MINI Cooper

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 05:11 PM
Got a mate who's looking to buy a MINI and he's found this one at a local Non MINI franchised dealer.

2003 MINI Cooper in BRG (http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=5053&pageid=2)

Looks not a bad spec, but I'm not the best at gauging this sort of age of car. Any idea's if it looks (on the site) to be a good buy.

It's a VW dealer that's selling the car.

What should he look out for?

A.:D

Burple
7th January 2008, 05:32 PM
Not a bad spec by the looks of it, I was looking in Autotrader last night, and there are Cooper S's going for around the same price for the same age and Mileage... maybe a a wee discount may be in order ;)

He should look out in particular for faults with the steering -funny noises and knocks when going from lock to lock, check the power steering reservoir for leaks.. check that the headlamp adjuster actually adjusts, and that it adjusts BOTH headlights... maybe get someone to help him out and check the handbrake operation for stickiness... and perhaps check that when the doors are closed and opened that the window drops and rises as it should..
(things that went wrong on my 03 Cooper ;))

...apart from the usual things like a smokey botty ;):D
I'm no expert, but I'd certainly add that lot to any list of things to check..

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 06:14 PM
Not a bad spec by the looks of it, I was looking in Autotrader last night, and there are Cooper S's going for around the same price for the same age and Mileage... maybe a a wee discount may be in order ;)

He should look out in particular for faults with the steering -funny noises and knocks when going from lock to lock, check the power steering reservoir for leaks.. check that the headlamp adjuster actually adjusts, and that it adjusts BOTH headlights... maybe get someone to help him out and check the handbrake operation for stickiness... and perhaps check that when the doors are closed and opened that the window drops and rises as it should..
(things that went wrong on my 03 Cooper ;))

...apart from the usual things like a smokey botty ;):D
I'm no expert, but I'd certainly add that lot to any list of things to check..

Cheers LnL (can you tell I still can't remember what Euan/Ewan you are?:o

Bazthemod
7th January 2008, 06:30 PM
Cheers LnL (can you tell I still can't remember what Euan/Ewan you are?:o

You can remember it as 'W' for Wan...<cough> wheel ;):):D:eek:

ianking
7th January 2008, 06:31 PM
Looks all right and its about the right money. Like L+L said check steering for any knocks noises. I would also check the back box for any signs of corrosion. Thornwood will have to supply it with at least 3 months warranty though so if friend gets it they could take it to a trusted independant garage / mechanic and get them to check it over.

What is your friend trading in? Allways a good time of year at the moment to try and haggle a deal. Dealerships a bit quiet at the moment.

KenL
7th January 2008, 09:39 PM
Is that price good?

It seems a LOT for a car which is 5 years old, as a MINI owner, I suppose I should not be saying this, but I bet the dealer paid a LOT less for it.

As to the spec. Is it not just a Cooper with CHILLI & AC?

Craig
7th January 2008, 10:33 PM
Plus Sunroof and tinted windows Ken (ie about another £800) :)

AeroJonny
7th January 2008, 10:34 PM
it looks maybe a touch expensive for my money. Mind you, it's from a dealer, so that may explain it.

I'd advise your friend to do a bit more shopping around and as Fiona always says...be prepared to travel!

KenL
7th January 2008, 10:51 PM
Plus Sunroof and tinted windows Ken (ie about another £800) :)

Well spotted :D

...but, these are options that do not add much (any?) value to the value of a 5 year old car ;)

KenL
7th January 2008, 10:53 PM
...............be prepared to travel!

or buy privately?

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 10:54 PM
Bear in mind also, this is in a NON MINI dealer. Should he expect to pay a bit less for the car taking that into account?

A.

AeroJonny
7th January 2008, 11:04 PM
for an 03 car, I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a disparity between the pricing of franchised/non-franchised dealers. Like KenL says...does it have to be from a dealer?

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 11:06 PM
for an 03 car, I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a disparity between the pricing of franchised/non-franchised dealers. Like KenL says...does it have to be from a dealer?

I get the impression he'd rather have the security of buying from a business, rather than privately.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and point out all the suggestions from everyone. Much appreciated folks.

A.;)

Gismo
7th January 2008, 11:06 PM
Hmm, i don't see a huge spec on this car, ok, it's got a sun roof and the chili pack, in my book, you'd get a better spec from a cherished dealer for the same ish price :)

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 11:08 PM
Hmm, i don't see a huge spec on this car, ok, it's got a sun roof and the chili pack, in my book, you'd get a better spec from a cherished dealer for the same ish price :)

I get the impression he maybe hasn't done as much looking as he probably should have.

I'll have a wee looky and see what else is out there. I don't think he wants to travel for one thats the trouble.:rolleyes:

A.;)

KenL
7th January 2008, 11:16 PM
I'll have a wee looky and see what else is out there. I don't think he wants to travel for one thats the trouble.:rolleyes:

I can see his point if he is buying a car outwith MINI warranty and only getting a dealer warranty.

ianking
8th January 2008, 09:33 AM
To be fair I dont think its that expensive. Has a good mileage on it. Its got a chilli pack that everyone wants and its got A/C that everyone wants. As a bonus it has a sunroof and a CD changer. It may have a couple other options that are not visible.
Yes always worth looking over the autotrader online but if buying private ther eis no comeback on an 03 plate car. At least here your friend will have a warranty.