PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500

ianking
7th January 2008, 02:17 PM
I saw a transporter load of new Fiat 500s going past this morning. The cream/white colour looks very nice. It is a good looking wee car. Definately going to go and have a look at it when it is launched on the 21st Jan.

Anyone else going to their local Fiat garage for a wee look.

euan
7th January 2008, 02:25 PM
Definitely - we're currently looking for a small car for the missus and love the look of these. I'd have a black one though ;-)

ianking
7th January 2008, 02:32 PM
I spotted a black one on the transporter as well and it looked good. I would like to see one in red as well though as I think it will really suit red.

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 02:33 PM
Been in one, wasn't moving though. The interior isn't as well built as a MINI but they're a lot cheaper. The leather option is only £600 if you fully load up a 500 with all the extra it won't cost more than £13,000.

Red isn't as good as the White or the Black, the yellow pretty good. They had them in Keswick a couple of weeks back.

stoney
7th January 2008, 06:47 PM
it would be good if they put a bigger size eng in it

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 06:50 PM
Been in one, wasn't moving though. The interior isn't as well built as a MINI but they're a lot cheaper. The leather option is only £600 if you fully load up a 500 with all the extra it won't cost more than £13,000.

Red isn't as good as the White or the Black, the yellow pretty good. They had them in Keswick a couple of weeks back.

But is that not gonna plummet from £13K to £5K the day you drive it away? I'm not saying MINI is hugely better at the moment, but £13K seems an awful lot for a....... :o :o :o FIAT.:o :o Please don't think that was snobbery, just trying to be a realist.:rolleyes: ;)

A.:D

euan
7th January 2008, 07:07 PM
it would be good if they put a bigger size eng in it

Apparently, that's coming later this/early next year in the form of an Arbath badged car.

euan
7th January 2008, 07:09 PM
But is that not gonna plummet from £13K to £5K the day you drive it away? I'm not saying MINI is hugely better at the moment, but £13K seems an awful lot for a....... :o :o :o FIAT.:o :o Please don't think that was snobbery, just trying to be a realist.:rolleyes: ;)

I know what you mean and that's what's holding me back from getting too excited by it. I think it's going to be no worse than something like a Suzuki Swift, which are flying out of the dealerships at the moment, albeit that they are not exactly best in class for residuals.

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 07:18 PM
I know what you mean and that's what's holding me back from getting too excited by it. I think it's going to be no worse than something like a Suzuki Swift, which are flying out of the dealerships at the moment, albeit that they are not exactly best in class for residuals.

The MINI isn't all it used to be as far as residuals are concerned. They used to hold their values exceptional well due the waiting list. The 500 will probably the same in the short term, longer term will depend on a lot on build quality and the like.

The Abarth version should have 155bhp, autoexpress had pictures. It looked amazing TBH

Here's a spy shot of a the Abarth SS and Abarth

http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2007/9/17/9070917.011/9070917.011.Mini4L.jpg

zimbo
7th January 2008, 07:31 PM
I might pop down and have a little nosey around, just out of curiosity tho... Would have to be the Abarth version tho :D But like others have said, Fiat dont have the best reputation in the world for the likes of reliability or build quality etc etc. White, red, black or yellow are the colours the car would have to be in. :p

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 07:44 PM
Here's what they did to the Punto to turn it into the Abarth SS

http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2007/09/12/12Fiat_m_m.jpg

http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2007/09/12/12Fiat_1m_m.jpg

vintageb3
7th January 2008, 08:10 PM
I don't like all that cheap tape looking stuff on the front VB..huh! Typical Fiat:rolleyes:

I think the 500 looks really nice...and my head turns to look at the Suzuki Swift I must admit. I wonder what the Sports model puts out? But i don't think I could own either to be honest.

I'm disillusioned with cars at present. I'm kinda looking at other cars.

I've sat for months reading car websites about what a good sports car is supposed to be. I think its all pants! The last thing I want a car to do is powerslide!...I want it to grip like hell in the bends! I had a test drive in a Porsche Boxster S (again...because I hated the first one and a Porsche owner told me that it must have been a bad one...try another) and a BMW Z4 3.0si over the weekend. Both cars felt underpowered and they handled like kippers. Both cars were uninspiring and boring drives.

I was really disappointed in the Z4 yesterday. I have much more fun in the Mini TBH.

Going to try a second Z4 sometime next week...again a 3.0. Sat in a Z4 with M seats....OOHHH!!! :eek: really nice seats :cool: ...loads of extra's...but that Z4 was an automatic.:(

Tried a M3 convertible...it nipped along...and felt like a better car than the Z4...but I don't like the look of the new 3 series.

Next on the list I suppose if the Lotus Exige S...but I like carpets in cars ;)

So I have a question to others that have tried other cars recently: Are we spoiled by the handling and dare I say it...power in the Mini's?...or is it just me? Is it just the driving experience?

I had a shot of my mates Ford Focus ST a while back...the power in his chipped and modded car was astonishing...but i don't like Fords:(

Maybe i will just buy a 500 after all:o...or more likely,,,back to plan A: keep the Mini...and be faced with fitting roofs every so often.:(

mark

euan
7th January 2008, 09:16 PM
Well, to answer the Swift question...

The Sport is 125bhp 1.6, more of a Cooper competitor than anything else. I've sat in one, not driven it yet, and thought it was pretty well built and looked great for the money. It's not an expensive car after all.

As for your other poser...

I think everybody is driven by power these days, I mean the Germans have gone bonkers with the M5, M3, AMG and RS4/6 and it filters down to everything else. Partly it's because cars have got heavier with all the safety and kit we all deem to be essential in cars these days and so need the power to keep up with the older cars. But that affects handling. Cars in general are MUCH better to drive than they ever used to be, the Focus is a prime example - it handles really well for what is a mass selling hatchback. But you just need to look at what Lotus did with the Elise (and to a degree, the Mazda MX5) and go back to basics with small engines, light body and hardly any kit to see what we are all missing out on.

Mini was always about handling with a zippy engine, and giving the impression of doing 60 when in fact your only doing 30. I loved the handling in the Mini and had as much fun in my Cooper as my S as the handling was so sweet (ah, how I dream of the A702 on a Sunday evening...). The power was good in the S, it was quicker than anything I've had since, but I don't miss it (the power, not the car - which i miss every day).

So yes, probably we are/were all spoiled by it!

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 09:50 PM
.......Going to try a second Z4 sometime next week...again a 3.0. Sat in a Z4 with M seats....OOHHH!!! :eek: really nice seats :cool: ...loads of extra's...but that Z4 was an automatic.:( .......

Oh yeah Bubba!;) ;) ;)

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 09:54 PM
Less is more, as long as you feel like you haven't been short changed.

Eh?

Well, the MX5 doesn't have a lot of power but it's been designed so that it doesn't feel that it needs more. The car is light and was designed so that it doesn't have too much grip so that you can still flick the tail out. The new one has DSC which will reign in any unruly behaviour but you can switch it off and have your fun. This keeps the running costs down, my driving varies between 'like I've stolen it' and 'OAP' when stuck in traffic and I get between 30 - 35 mpg.

The Cooper has this feel about it as well, the S does but you start to feel the cost in your pocket (I know the R56 is better on mpg).

Mark, if you're looking at ragtops give the MX5 a go if you can fit in one, they aren't so great for anyone over 5'10 (not a problem for me ;))

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 10:00 PM
Oh, there's also the mystery of the added second with the MX5. The MX5 is supposed to do the 0-62 in 7.9 according to Mazda. However, car and driver magazine (US) got 6.5 and autoexpress got 6.9.

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_472/car_photo_236028_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_472/car_photo_236025_25.jpg

Sheilz
7th January 2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_472/car_photo_236028_25.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_472/car_photo_236025_25.jpg
I do like this. Its quite funky and looks like it could be fun to drive

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 10:16 PM
And that's the standard Abarth the SS is even funkier.

vintageb3
7th January 2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for your good post Euan!

What you have said explains exactly how i feel right now and your words are probably what i need to hear right now as well.

To explain further, I'm not really a speed freak. If a car does 90mph...that's really fast enough as far as I'm concerned. But...I do like getting to to 70mph....QUICKLY!:rolleyes:

So does that mean i like power? Probably...so I confess:D

90mph feels fast in a Mini, in Kim's 307...90 feels sedate. I agree that going through twisties on good roads...it can feel fast in a Mini...but in fact...its not all that fast. I really enjoy the driving experience and the sensation of speed in the Mini...and this probably helps me keep me license.:eek: ;) :D

I was really surprised at the Z4 though....such a let down really...they look like they could shift...but more importantly corner really well...but i think you would have to buy a M for that.

mark

Scottie
7th January 2008, 10:25 PM
The best car I've driven (well for my humble poor standard of speed and non existing daredevil going round corners antics) for all out handling and grip and sure footed has got to be the either the A3 and with speed S3 Quattro.

vintageb3
7th January 2008, 10:27 PM
Mark, if you're looking at ragtops give the MX5 a go if you can fit in one, they aren't so great for anyone over 5'10 (not a problem for me ;))

Please don't take offense at this VB...but i don't like the look of the MX5.

Height wouldn't be a problem for me either....but width...hmmm...different story:eek: :D

mark

vintageb3
7th January 2008, 10:28 PM
And that's the standard Abarth the SS is even funkier.

Any exciting numbers floating about yet?

mark

vintageb3
7th January 2008, 10:33 PM
The best car I've driven (well for my humble poor standard of speed and non existing daredevil going round corners antics) for all out handling and grip and sure footed has got to be the either the A3 and with speed S3 Quattro.

I like the Audi TT convertible...but not the new style...thought about trying a TT quattro. Audi is like BMW in the respect of getting little for your money. But the TT is nice inside.

I'm increasingly thinking that i have gone off rear wheel drive...so what better?...4 wheel drive?...or is it?

mark

euan
7th January 2008, 10:46 PM
I like the Audi TT convertible...but not the new style...thought about trying a TT quattro. Audi is like BMW in the respect of getting little for your money. But the TT is nice inside.

I'm increasingly thinking that i have gone off rear wheel drive...so what better?...4 wheel drive?...or is it?

mark

It'll grip like hell, but will it be fun? Unless it's in a Lambo or an RS4, where the balance is set to the rear it's unlikely to be that much fun. Well, maybe it would be, but in a different way - depends what floats your boat I guess. I like to feel my way round a corner, get the balance right on throttle and play with it - even with my 320 (which is a 2.2 six - why BMW, why not call it what it is!!) you can do this as the chassis is good and it's rear wheel drive. The Audi I test drove before I got it as very different. It would grip and deliver the power very well (this was the 200BHP 2.0Turbo A3 quattro - same engine as the Golf GTI) but it just felt very sure footed and that you'd need to be an idiot to lose it. It felt too much for me, not fun enough, but very technically gifted.

The TT is stunning inside, Audi make brilliant interiors these days. But as I've just said, they feel very German if that makes sense, very technically efficient.

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 10:53 PM
Drifiting waaaaaaaaaay off-topic here guys.

Ian's original post was asking who was going for a look at the new Fiat 500.

I understand the conversation, VB, euan and Vintage, but does one of you wanna start a new threat titled: "What will Vintage B3's new car be?"

Cheers,

A.;)

euan
7th January 2008, 10:55 PM
Yes boss...

So - anyone seen suggested figures on the SS yet?

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 10:59 PM
Yes boss...

So - anyone seen suggested figures on the SS yet?

SS is supposed to be 155bhp which puts it on par with a Cooper S. The Grande Punto SS has 180 from the same engine. Any more than 155 and it would step on the bigger cars toes.

Andy, isn't this 'off topic' and there can be more than one conversation. Reelax man, lie back an' go wit flow

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 11:02 PM
SS is supposed to be 155bhp which puts it on par with a Cooper S. The Grande Punto SS has 180 from the same engine. Any more than 155 and it would step on the bigger cars toes.

Andy, isn't this 'off topic' and there can be more than one conversation. Reelax man, lie back an' go wit flow

It is Off-Topic forum, but each thread should still stick to the original contributors intended subject. it just keeps things.... "cleaner" if you know what I mean.:D

A.;)

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 11:04 PM
Mark, I was suggesting try an MX5 not to buy but to have a play, after all you don't have to look at the outside whilst you're in it. I know you're not a fan of the looks of the MX5 (weirdo ;)), but you're not a fan of the new 3 series (coupe) either and thats one of my favs. I guess we like different things.

vintageb3
7th January 2008, 11:07 PM
Drifiting waaaaaaaaaay off-topic here guys.

Ian's original post was asking who was going for a look at the new Fiat 500.

I understand the conversation, VB, euan and Vintage, but does one of you wanna start a new threat titled: "What will Vintage B3's new car be?"

Cheers,

A.;)

I might go for a look at the 500...is that on topic enough???:p

Will be standing at the BMW garage looking over the road at it though;)

mark

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2008, 11:09 PM
I might go for a look at the 500...is that on topic enough???:p

Will be standing at the BMW garage looking over the road at it though;)

mark

lol.:rolleyes:

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 11:11 PM
It is Off-Topic forum, but each thread should still stick to the original contributors intended subject. it just keeps things.... "cleaner" if you know what I mean.:D

A.;)

Little Miss Houseproud!;)

I bet you look great with your pinny on around the cinema :D

euan
8th January 2008, 11:06 AM
Hmm, I think I will def go and look at this little beastie.

What do you reckon is the better looking? Swift, 500, new Mini (R56) or the old style MINI?

My money is probably on the Swift, then the 500.

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 11:16 AM
Hmm, I think I will def go and look at this little beastie.

What do you reckon is the better looking? Swift, 500, new Mini (R56) or the old style MINI?

My money is probably on the Swift, then the 500.

First gen new MINI, second gen (R56) new MINI, then probably a 500 Abarth (but I wouldn't buy one.).

A.;)

euan
8th January 2008, 11:46 AM
First gen new MINI, second gen (R56) new MINI, then probably a 500 Abarth (but I wouldn't buy one.).

A.;)

Pah, what do you know, you bought an X5 ;):D;)

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 12:07 PM
Pah, what do you know, you bought an X5 ;):D;)

So did your Dad, so dinnae go there.:eek: ;) :D :D

euan
8th January 2008, 02:38 PM
So did your Dad, so dinnae go there.:eek: ;) :D :D

Aye, but he's old :D:D:D

I would probably agree with you though about order of the Minis, older before newer one, but I don't think it looks fresh anymore if that makes sense?

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 02:53 PM
Aye, but he's old :D:D:D

What's your point mam?:mad: ;) :D :D

vintageb3
8th January 2008, 07:46 PM
I worked out his point easily....but you are an old git so are slow on the uptake;) :D

mark

AndyP & Lenore
8th January 2008, 07:58 PM
I worked out his point easily....but you are an old git so are slow on the uptake;) :D

mark

pot/kettle;)

euan
8th January 2008, 08:06 PM
Andy, I wouldn't dream of saying anything about anyones age.

Of course, if you had a 500 people would think you were a trendy young thing :D

KenL
8th January 2008, 08:11 PM
The car is light and was designed so that it doesn't have too much grip so that you can still flick the tail out.

Nah, it was not designed to not have much grip, that is just a feature of a rear-wheel drive car with all the weight up front ;)

The Dogfather
8th January 2008, 08:22 PM
Nah, it was not designed to not have much grip, that is just a feature of a rear-wheel drive car with all the weight up front ;)

Ken, the MK3 was designed so that it didn't have much more grip than the original MX5. I think the idea is that the car retains its fun factor just like the original.

Craig
8th January 2008, 09:11 PM
aye, but boiled potatoes are better for your than mashed...

stoney
8th January 2008, 09:18 PM
aye, but boiled potatoes are better for your than mashed...

thats cos you put milk and butter in mash :D :p

KenL
8th January 2008, 09:23 PM
Ken, the MK3 was designed so that it didn't have much more grip than the original MX5. I think the idea is that the car retains its fun factor just like the original.

That does not mean the mk2 did not have a lot of grip :p

The Dogfather
8th January 2008, 09:25 PM
No the Mk2 and Mk2.5 were designed the same way, you just had enough power to kick the tail out. My 1.8 Mk2.5 didn't have a LSD or DSC though.