PDA

View Full Version : spare wheel carrier

dilligaf
6th January 2008, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone i need some advice and some help i am sick to the back teeth off runflat tyres i am wearing them out too bloody quick i am on my 3rd set in three years and soon need to buy some more my car has only done 32,000 miles and they just are not cheap to replace so i want to change my rims for something different and use ordinary tyres. now this is where you may be able to help me. as my car does not have a spare wheel carrier i have not seen one so i need some info on how to fit one so i can carry a spare wheel if anyone can help me i would be very greatful.:cool:

duncan
6th January 2008, 10:22 PM
I think this has been raised before, and I'm not sure that this is a straight forward bolt on effort. Its one of those things thats made at the time the car is built.

You may need a bit of <cough> engineering to get one to fit.

Craig
6th January 2008, 10:36 PM
I have had a spare wheel carrier on all 3 of my coopers. Check your rear bumper and see if you have some small holes on underside of the black plastic trim, this is where the plastic spare wheel carrier screws into. also there are 2 fittings approx 2 feet forward from the rear apron at each edge of the carrier. (your should see the wholes in the underside if you look closely) :)

hope this helps.

Sheilz
7th January 2008, 02:15 AM
Hi everyone i need some advice and some help i am sick to the back teeth off runflat tyres i am wearing them out too bloody quick i am on my 3rd set in three years and soon need to buy some more my car has only done 32,000 miles and they just are not cheap to replace so i want to change my rims for something different and use ordinary tyres. now this is where you may be able to help me. as my car does not have a spare wheel carrier i have not seen one so i need some info on how to fit one so i can carry a spare wheel if anyone can help me i would be very greatful.:cool:

Good grief! How in heck's name do you manage that:eek: I've just had my fifth set of tyres put on and have 113,000+ miles on the clock. Do agree though they are expensive. Cheapest I've managed to get them fitted for is £116 (each) in Aberdeen. You must have set a record!

dilligaf
7th January 2008, 06:18 PM
No not set a record just enjoy my Mini:D :D :D and i drive it to the limit i never brake for bends, coz that just wears out the brake pads and discs, (ha ha) no i just really enjoy my car i was going to sell it when it became 3 yrs old but it is now 5 yrs old and i have no intention off selling it......:cool: I used to own an Impreza UK300 but i sold it and kept the Mini. my earlier post was incorrect i have put a new set of tyres on every year so far, this will be my 5th set:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: and i really do not want to use another set this year. so i am going to go for a harder compound tyre next

Sheilz
7th January 2008, 09:40 PM
No not set a record just enjoy my Mini:D :D :D and i drive it to the limit i never brake for bends, coz that just wears out the brake pads and discs, (ha ha) no i just really enjoy my car i was going to sell it when it became 3 yrs old but it is now 5 yrs old and i have no intention off selling it......:cool:

LOL! Yo have set a record. Bl**dy hell! I've never heard of anyone going through this many tyres outside racetracks:eek: Have you recorded the correct mileage? Nice to know you enjoy your car though perhaps in hust a different way to me:D:D:D:D

euan
7th January 2008, 10:53 PM
5 sets in 32,000 miles!!! That is definitely some kind of record!

dilligaf
8th January 2008, 09:31 PM
the actual mileage i done is 32868 miles..... and since i moved to Mintlaw the roads round here are the dog's danglies for spirited driving along.. But I still need to know about how the spare wheel carrier is fitted i have a large plastic tray under my car on the passenger side at rear:confused: but i don't feel that that would be strong enough to carry a spare wheel? what i need to know is. do you need to have a steel brace that bolt's upto the underside of the chassis.