PDA

View Full Version : Went to play in the snow today

ajamesj
6th January 2008, 08:39 PM
We went for a drive today up to the Hermitage at Dunkeld and ended up playing in the snow :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/AJAMESJ/PLAYINGINSNOW.jpg

Craig
6th January 2008, 09:36 PM
Andy, car is looking good... :D

did you fit the spotlamps yourself? or were they fitted by the manufacturer for you. Do you mind if I ask how much to paid to get them fitted (PM me if you want).

ta :D

Gismo
7th January 2008, 07:17 AM
Craig, a man of your abilities should be able to fit extra spots, it's an easy job :) assuming you're just gonna tap into the existing wiring.
Hmm, just noticed you're sig piccy, do you have any spots :D

Craig
7th January 2008, 08:43 AM
Craig, a man of your abilities should be able to fit extra spots, it's an easy job :) assuming you're just gonna tap into the existing wiring.
Hmm, just noticed you're sig piccy, do you have any spots :D

Nope, no spots at the moment, however thinking about them, but ain't giving any money to a dealer, so wondered if Andy did them himself (and has some instructions. ) :cool:

Gismo
7th January 2008, 09:05 AM
You can wire them into the main beam and fit a simple relay.
This bypasses the need to switch them on in the ecu ;) i think Vidal did this and he even posted a wiring diagram :)

Sory for the thread hijack, but Craig started it, anyways, that car looks too damned clean, are you sure you drove it there :eek: :D

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 11:13 AM
Alan, spot (sic) on, I didn't get them wired in by BMW. Its easy, had to be for me to do it :D

KenL
7th January 2008, 02:37 PM
You can wire them into the main beam and fit a simple relay.
This bypasses the need to switch them on in the ecu ;) i think Vidal did this and he even posted a wiring diagram :)

Sory for the thread hijack, but Craig started it, anyways, that car looks too damned clean, are you sure you drove it there :eek: :D

Can the wiring & fuse handle the doubling of current?

ajamesj
7th January 2008, 08:40 PM
Thats the way I havemine wired up did it on my "S" and also my "D" and have also done my sisters cooper and my Mums friends Cooper. Mmmmmm let me think I might get a job soon with MINI....................not

Gismo
7th January 2008, 11:03 PM
Can the wiring & fuse handle the doubling of current?
Good point Ken, but, the current isn't doubled, not sure on the exact figures, but, the spot lamp wiring will get less power supply, i think :o
One thing to be careful of though, use a thicker cable to the lamps :)
I tapped into the exisiting spot lamp wiring when i added my extra 2 lamps, not one problem

duncan
7th January 2008, 11:16 PM
I would imagine each standard 55W headlamp would draw about 4.5A (P=IV and all that)

So by adding further headlamps at a similar wattage, the current draw would double, or at least go up considerably.

The Dogfather
7th January 2008, 11:22 PM
I used 100w bulbs in mine, one wire from the battery to the relay rated at 25A then two wires at 15A to each of the spots. I didn't get a good earth so ran an extra from each spot to a better earth point again a 15A. The switching wire was 5A, I think.

I went for the safe option and exceeded what I needed. After all I'd hate to try to explain a fire to the insurance if I'd fooked up

Gismo
8th January 2008, 12:42 AM
I would imagine each standard 55W headlamp would draw about 4.5A (P=IV and all that)

So by adding further headlamps at a similar wattage, the current draw would double, or at least go up considerably.
Aye, that's what i meant :o by fitting larger capacity cabling for the extra spots overcomes this, i think :confused: