PDA

View Full Version : Black WOW

Scottie
6th January 2008, 02:39 PM
Well I dare say all you detailers out there will have no doubt already tried this product. If by chance you have not then I suggest you get some.

I've found it to be the best so far.

Some details for anyone interested.
BLACK WOW.

A product conceived by show car detailer, Richard Lin, aka OctaneGuy and formulated by his father, a world reknowned award winning scientist.

Designed for any color exterior plastic such as on the MINI Cooper, Honda Element, Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Tacoma, and others, this gel will restore your trims natural color without use of dyes or colorants and provides a rich, long lasting look (measured in months), proven by the water beading action.

Notes from the inventor:

Creating a product that would restore old faded trim quickly and easily was one challenge. But it wasn't enough to just make a product that improved the look considerably. It had to make the process easier, thus the decision to include cleaners to remove old polish and wax was made. Looking at the competition, another challenge I faced was improving the durability! Manufacturers want you to keep buying product! So developing a super long lasting product isn't in their best interest. So whether it's a car wash, rain storm, or just time, most protectants on the market just don't last very long. As a professional paint polisher, I want my work to look it's best for as long as possible! Finally, Black Wow is super concentrated. You only need enough to "quench" it's thirst.

Directions:
For best results, clean trim before applying Black Wow, and perform the first application just before washing your car. Remember, a little goes a LONG way with BW.

Apply a pea sized amount to the foam applicator pad and massage it into your trim. You will see an instant improvement in darkness and evenness in tone. Continue to spread this out. More is NOT better with Black Wow. Always work with pea sized amounts. The final look should be matte, not glossy and wet. There is no need to let BW dry or cure. Once applied, remove the excess with a towel or proceed to wash the car and using a wash mitt or sponge to wipe down the trim. Dry with a separate towel from the one you use to dry the paint.

CAUTION:
Avoid getting BW on painted areas. BW won't harm your paint, but because of it's durability, it is very persistent and will require extra effort to remove off the paint. Mask adjacent areas with painters tape first if you are concerned.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/pyiu/black%20wow/dsc_8681.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/pyiu/black%20wow/bw_porsche.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/pyiu/black%20wow/bw_bikerack.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/pyiu/black%20wow/bw_beading.jpg

Click here for the video:

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=qnYbPIE7GrE&eurl=http%3A//www.showcardetailing.com/bw/&iurl=http%3A//img.youtube.com/vi/qnYbPIE7GrE/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskK67hMznAaBoW2G-5Rwi_BF&rel=1&border=0

N12 JLK
6th January 2008, 04:43 PM
Boooo! Video no longer available:(

KenL
6th January 2008, 08:06 PM
Would be interested to hear your report on how easy it is to use, its longevity and if it streaks onto surrounding paintwork.

AndyP & Lenore
6th January 2008, 08:16 PM
Would be interested to hear your report on how easy it is to use, its longevity and if it streaks onto surrounding paintwork.

Yeah! What he said!

Also, do you reckon this will negate the need to scrub with peanut oil, then that Autoglym stuff?

A.:confused:

ianking
6th January 2008, 10:37 PM
I have been using black wow for some time now and it is amazing. You need only the smallest pea size amount on a foam applicator to do one whole side of a mini plastics. Lasts for ages and looks great. A big thumbs up from me any way. :D

Scottie
6th January 2008, 10:52 PM
well I've not got much black plastic on my cars but the bits I do have, have all been done in this stuff. I put it on a tiny wee bit at a time worked in with a sponge applicator. It certainly brought the trim up looking a treat and still fine after a few days. The only trouble is the bit on the x'er that protects the top of the rear bumper gets covered when the boot lid comes down so it dose not get wet other than from the dogs paws.
I have put it on the grey that should be black trim round my side mirror on the E36 and they look fab but not driven since application. It snowed and once the tiny amount of snow was off the car the trim still looked fab.
TBH I have no real idea if it will last any time it cold just be one of those products that you think is great but is just like all the rest. Time will tell.

here

http://www.showcardetailing.com/ukblackwow/

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=49521&page=3&highlight=blackwow

Scottie
6th January 2008, 10:55 PM
I have been using black wow for some time now and it is amazing. You need only the smallest pea size amount on a foam applicator to do one whole side of a mini plastics. Lasts for ages and looks great. A big thumbs up from me any way. :D

Ian you should pass knowledge of these products on to your fellow Mini friends.;) or are you trying to keep all the good products to yourself;) :p :p

p.s. I have just taken delivery of some duragloss products have you tried them.??

The auquawax is great for this time of year.:)

ianking
7th January 2008, 06:38 PM
Fi
Not tried duragloss yet. Next order will be some 3M finishing polish and 3M pads for the rotary. :D

I shall endevour to inform all of my latest purchases next time I try something new.

Latest top tip to share with everyone is to use Zymol HD Cleanse for the inside and out side of the glass. Its amazing at leaving a perfect finish on the glass, a bit dear though at £39 per bottle but I love the stuff.

Scottie
8th January 2008, 12:44 AM
Fi
Not tried duragloss yet. Next order will be some 3M finishing polish and 3M pads for the rotary. :D

I shall endevour to inform all of my latest purchases next time I try something new.

Latest top tip to share with everyone is to use Zymol HD Cleanse for the inside and out side of the glass. Its amazing at leaving a perfect finish on the glass, a bit dear though at £39 per bottle but I love the stuff.

do you like the HD Cleanse. We tried it a couple years back didn't think much about it. More than likely because we don't have much of a clue.

I find Stoners Invisible Glass the best so far. Follow the instructions on the bottle no streaks.

ianking
8th January 2008, 09:37 AM
Love the HD cleanse. Remember as well that if you are using Zymol wax on the paint you have to use HD cleanse before the 1st application, again in 6 months or so after.
The chaps at polished bliss recommended it as a glass cleaner. It works well with me. You dont need to use very much of it. Put it on in straight lines and it will be streak free.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 02:49 PM
Boooo! Video no longer available:(

Another Black Wow video is now available by clicking here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYbPIE7GrE)

This stuff really does look amazing.

Peanut oil for the bin me thinks.... I'm off to order a bath of this stuff.:D

A.;)

ianking
10th January 2008, 04:08 PM
When it arrives dont be put off by the tiny bottle that you get. It really does last for ages and you dont need very much. You will never use the autoglym stuff again.
Donate your autoglym bumper gel to a neighbour or such like.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 04:11 PM
Also been looking again at waxes. Think I've settled on the Chemical Guys 50/50 or the Pete's 53 stuff. Gonna draw up a shopping list and post it up on the "Wax Or Polish" thread (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13317) for opinions before purchase.;) Not buying Polish for just now. Weather is too crap to polish anyway.:mad:

A.:D

ianking
10th January 2008, 05:12 PM
I have used Petes53 before and it seemed to leave a nice finish.
I found it a bit crumbly when trying to remove it from the tub though.

You could buy Zymol Carbon for £46 but you would still need Zymol HD Cleanse to put on as a pre wax cleanser before the 1st application and it is about £39.

If you dont want to go the Zymol route I have heard good reports about DoDo Juice althogh I have never actually used it.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 06:22 PM
I have used Petes53 before and it seemed to leave a nice finish.
I found it a bit crumbly when trying to remove it from the tub though.

You could buy Zymol Carbon for £46 but you would still need Zymol HD Cleanse to put on as a pre wax cleanser before the 1st application and it is about £39.

If you dont want to go the Zymol route I have heard good reports about DoDo Juice althogh I have never actually used it.

Ian, I've replied to this on the "to wax or polish" thread. Just to keep this on-topic for Black Now discussions. Was my mistake to draw this thread to Waxing. Sorry.

Scottie
10th January 2008, 07:01 PM
remember as Ian said when using black wow just use a petit pea size drop.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 07:07 PM
remember as Ian said when using black wow just use a petit pea size drop.

Will bear that in mind Fi.;)

KenL
10th January 2008, 10:12 PM
For wax, have a look at Collinite 476 too, excellent finish and looking very durable in this weather.

I applied it (one coat) about 2 months ago, still beading like mad.

AndyP & Lenore
7th February 2008, 06:36 PM
Just used Black Wow for the first time today.

Spent all afternoon washing, drying and generally cleaning up all three cars.:cool:

I used Black Wow on the two MINI's black trim.

Goes on very easy - way easier than the Autoglym stuff, or peanut oil, and like others have said earlier in this thread, you only used a tiny amount each time you put it on the cloth. After two cars, the bottle doesn't look like any has come out of it.;)

I would have taken pics, but by the time we were finishing off getting a coat of Blackfire wax on the red MINI it was getting very dark.:rolleyes:

If I get a chance, I'll get a couple of photo's tomorrow.;)

KenL
7th February 2008, 09:04 PM
Can anyone report on the durability of this stuff yet?

ianking
7th February 2008, 11:27 PM
It lasts about 2 months for me and I wash every week. Better than anything else I have used.

KenL
8th February 2008, 03:39 PM
It lasts about 2 months for me and I wash every week. Better than anything else I have used.

That IS good.

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2008, 03:30 PM
A wee update on my use of Black Wow.

We have Jewelultra Diamondbrite coating on our R56 MINI. A few months ago I was having trouble getting rid of white marks on the black trim. see this thread for details on that. (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12781) It seems that our car was probably prepared by Menzies with a silicone treatment on the black trims. Diamondbrite and silicone don't mix well and that was what was causing the white streaks.

I applied Black Wow to both our MINI's two weeks ago. Washed the R56 today and applied the monthly Diamondbrite conserver treatment. Oh dear. It's like a bad sequel from Hollywood: Return Of The White Streaks!:rolleyes: :mad:

I had a look at the Black Wow bottle and surprise, surprise it's a silicone treatment!!! How did I miss this?!?!?:rolleyes: :eek:

So, back to square one on the R56 for the black trim, very hot scrubbing, then peanut oil then Autoglym bumper care (warmed).:rolleyes:

The R53 (no diamondbrite there) is still looking fab though. Good water repellent capabilities and looks lovely and clean even after a run.:cool: :D

ianking
19th February 2008, 03:42 PM
So what do we learn from this, dont go down the Diamond Brite, Supaguard, AG Life shine etc route. :p

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2008, 03:58 PM
So what do we learn from this, dont go down the Diamond Brite, Supaguard, AG Life shine etc route. :p

Yes and no Ian.

We're still happy with Diamondbrite for the FL2. I have to admit, I've thought about stripping it off the R56 and going down the waxing route, but I'm meeting considerable resistance from Mrs P on that one. But the FL2 couldn't be easier; quick wash once a week - more often if required - then once a month wash over with the conserver solution and Bob's yer uncle. Good resistance to tar marks, tree sap, bird sh!t etc...

ianking
19th February 2008, 04:05 PM
Prob looks better on the FL as its a silver car. They generally hide sins anyway

drb5374
9th April 2008, 07:29 AM
Will this stuff get rid of the residue, left by polish/wax that get's onto the plastics?

Craig
9th April 2008, 10:06 AM
Will this stuff get rid of the residue, left by polish/wax that get's onto the plastics?

I believe yes, however I have it and I am really struggling to get good results from it... it's prob more to do with the way I am using it, rather than the product, but I am following the instructions and my trim just looks bad... Not an easy product to use IMHO..:(

ianking
9th April 2008, 01:34 PM
I am the total opposite from you Craig.

It may be that you have been using Wax on your tri prior to putting on black wow.
Before my 1st application of the stuff I thoroughly cleaned the arch trims with a strong mix of TFR.
This strong mix of TFR will also remove any white polish residue.

FergusM
13th June 2008, 03:53 PM
I just used Black Wow...and it is excellent...now just waiting for it to dry and then see how it lasts. But the difference in colour of plastic is amazing.

Burple
13th June 2008, 04:52 PM
I just used Black Wow...and it is excellent...now just waiting for it to dry and then see how it lasts. But the difference in colour of plastic is amazing.

Month and a half from the first (and admittedly not too thorough) coat, and still going strong! :thumbs up::cool::smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
13th June 2008, 06:06 PM
I have no problem using the Black WoW either.
The black trims have always been left to me to do.

At the weekend I clayed bar my trims worked a treat, don't know whether I should have clayed bar them but I did and my clay bar was dirty at the end I thought it made them nice and smooth.

Got to follow the instructions a pea size amount on a sponge applicator will do the trim on one side of the car for me, if I put to much on and leaves a shiny uneven look then I go over with a damp MF.

AndyP & Lenore
14th June 2008, 12:28 AM
I always finish off with a damp MF cloth. Removes any residue and gives a smooth, even finish, IMHO. It also removes the stickiness from the newly applied Black Wow, which can catch flies and moths etc.

I do the same with the Blue MINI when I use the peanut oil as well.

A.

eddie 44
19th June 2008, 10:54 PM
my wee bottle o black wow arrived yesterday... this stuff is magic.. :thumbs up:
so easy to apply.. great finish.. 10/10,

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2008, 11:56 PM
my wee bottle o black wow arrived yesterday... this stuff is magic.. :thumbs up:
so easy to apply.. great finish.. 10/10,

Remember and give your application a wipe down with a damp micro fibre cloth. Gives it a great finish.

A.:thumbs up:

N12 JLK
26th June 2008, 09:23 PM
Got my bottle in the post today, looking forward to Saturday to apply this so called miracle goo. By reading some posts it seems you can make an ar*e of it quiet easily though which is worrying me a bit. I have put several coats of Zymol wax on my trim over the past few months and that will need to come off before applying, I will use my tar remover on a cloth and then clay them as Fiona clay-ed hers and she got a good result. So I should wipe them down after applying the Wow, do I wait till it drys or just go for it, does it streak like all the other products in the market, if so then I'm not doing it as my Zymol doesn't.

Views welcome as you know Im a cleaning buff.:yes nod:

Scottie
26th June 2008, 10:08 PM
Jason,

It's always best to give any product like this a nice clean oil free base to start of with. So getting rid of all previous applications to trim is IMO the best way to start. I done this with using my clay while washing the car making sure the trim was really wet at all times.

Black Wow is easy to use. Follow the instructions, only use a very small pea sized amount on a sponge applicator and work it in to your black trim don't be tempted to load up the sponge again to soon it really will go along way,

A pea size amount will do one side of my trim just settle down and take your time. If you are left with any uneven bits i.e one bit looks shiny and wet another bit does not then get a damp cloth and wipe over the trim, that in itself will sort out any over application.

N12 JLK
26th June 2008, 10:14 PM
ta much Mrs Doop

AndyP & Lenore
25th July 2008, 01:53 PM
Black Wow sacked - for now.:frown:

Got fed up of having white bits appear on the trim. And this is the diamondbrite free car! I suspect it may be the polish from when I polished the car back in May, but I've tried removing that and re-applying black wow and still the white bits come back.

So, for now, I've ditched black wow, and gone back to peanut oil, with a follow up treatment of augotglym bumper care gel. The autoglym is applied the next day after the nut oil has dried in. Leaves the arches with a deep black gloss and high shine.

Got to say, the result is just as stunning as black wow when it's first applied, and for me, may well be more durable.:thumbs up:

ianking
25th July 2008, 03:55 PM
Why not try the black wow after the peanut oil.
Im sure that would be better than following up the peanut oil with AG.

I still stand by that black wow lasts longer than AG and runs less as well.

Scottie
25th July 2008, 04:56 PM
and lets not forget the plastic trim is not meant to be shiny.:thud:;bigwave:

I have lovely polish marks going round my front number plate. I will try my duragloss wax remover on this and report back to how good it is or not.

AndyP & Lenore
26th July 2008, 12:32 AM
Why not try the black wow after the peanut oil.
Im sure that would be better than following up the peanut oil with AG.

I still stand by that black wow lasts longer than AG and runs less as well.

I'll give that a try next time Ian.:thumbs up:

But TBH, I've never had auto glym run on me.:confused: but then, after applying, I run a hot wet cloth over the arches to smooth over the finish.

AndyP & Lenore
26th July 2008, 12:33 AM
and lets not forget the plastic trim is not meant to be shiny.:thud:;bigwave:

I have lovely polish marks going round my front number plate. I will try my duragloss wax remover on this and report back to how good it is or not.

But I want it SHINY. And when i don't get what I want I kick and scream and shout and go into a terrible tantrum like you wouldn't believe.

Becoming quite the duragloss lady these days aren't you.:moonie:

Gismo
26th July 2008, 05:39 AM
The amount you folks spend on cleaning products you'd be cheaper buying new trim every time you washed your car :Whistle: at least then it would be perfect :rolleyes:

N12 JLK
26th July 2008, 05:57 PM
The cars are always perfect Alan they are Mini's:thumbs up:

Scottie
27th July 2008, 08:19 PM
But I want it SHINY. And when i don't get what I want I kick and scream and shout and go into a terrible tantrum like you wouldn't believe.

Becoming quite the duragloss lady these days aren't you.:moonie:

well why not colour code

if the plastic trim was meant to be shiny then it would have come that way from new.:argh::argh:

honestly.:hand::p:p

AndyP & Lenore
27th July 2008, 11:34 PM
Well, when I say shiny, I don't mean glossy. Just a nice shine on them. In a shiny matt black kinda way.

A.:thumbs up: