PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Anti Virus software for not hogging system resources?

AndyP & Lenore
6th January 2008, 01:18 PM
As the title says, I'm looking for the best Anti Virus software that doesn't hogg system resources. We've got an elderly PC in the cinema, and it isn't really expandable with more memory etc and it is running slow as hell on NAV so I need to strip that out and install something that will still work as well but doesn't slow it to a crawl.

Any suggestions?

I've put Bit Defender on our laptop, but that even looks to be a bit "heavy".

A.:confused:

euan
6th January 2008, 01:37 PM
AVG - there is even a free version - I've never had a problem with it and system resources. Link (http://free.grisoft.com/)

Another tip - google for ProcessTamer - if a system resource is hogging something, this will knock it down to even out system performance (It's a built in feature of Vista, but this works well on XP or 2000).

Sweeney
6th January 2008, 02:55 PM
AVG is a bit of a hog, NOD32 is the dogs bollocks but you'd need to set it up good and proper to get the best out of it... If you don't quite know what your doing AVG is sufficient

AndyP & Lenore
6th January 2008, 08:06 PM
AVG Downloaded and installed. Went for the premium (paid for) version as the free version is strictly not permitted for use by commercial enterprises. As it's being installed on one of the PC's in our cinema, I practice what I preach.:D

It is, however, the 30 day free trial version of the premium version. Will see how we get on.

In it's initial deep scan it's already picked up an item that NAV has been missing for a couple of years by the looks of it.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice from all.:D

A.:D

Sweeney
6th January 2008, 08:11 PM
Might be worth if you don't already, installing lavasoft ad aware and spybot search and destroy, both free for "personal" use. Very very good at picking out all the daft cookies, malware etc

As with everything though, false positives do happen to have your wits about you :p

Sheilz
6th January 2008, 08:43 PM
If you dont like AVG then an alternative is Zone Alarms or Kaspersky (spelling?). We run ZA downstairs while the loon has Kaspersky upstairs. He thinks his is better than ours, thought enough to pay for it rather than just copying our code! He's a bit of a whizz kid with pcs so maybe he knows something our middle-aged caution wont let us accept!

Gismo
7th January 2008, 07:19 AM
In a recent magazie article, Kasperski was the outright winner compared to the major brands :)

Sheilz
7th January 2008, 09:22 PM
In a recent magazie article, Kasperski was the outright winner compared to the major brands :)

Dear dear! My spelling is poor:o:D:D