PDA

View Full Version : Taking Lithium batteries on planes...

vintageb3
3rd January 2008, 03:06 AM
Heard this was coming...but is this just US?...or worldwide?

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

I think its only a start...and they indeed what to ban Lithium from planes.

I heard that there's nothing on board a plane that would stop a Lithium fire

mark

AndyP & Lenore
3rd January 2008, 11:50 AM
Looks like you will just need to carry-on your lithium spares for now Mark.

I can't see how they could possibly ban lithium from planes. The world runs on lithium these days. Every cell phone, watch, laptop, camera, virtually every portable device runs on Lithium batteries.:eek:

A.:D

vintageb3
3rd January 2008, 12:18 PM
Looks like you will just need to carry-on your lithium spares for now Mark.

I can't see how they could possibly ban lithium from planes. The world runs on lithium these days. Every cell phone, watch, laptop, camera, virtually every portable device runs on Lithium batteries.:eek:

A.:D

Andy...believe me I know exactly how impracticable it would be. Whilst I could live without a camera, cell phone, and watch...while I'm away I just can't do my job without a computer.

I don't ever wear a watch although I have five of them. (long story...short story saw someone get hauled into a machine by a watch strap:eek: ) I own a US mobile phone. Luckily its stored in NYC with some of my keyboard gear. This Lithium thing rose its head the last time I was in the US...so I just left it there as I don't need it unless I'm there.

Cast your mind back to the security alerts of last year...do you think a ban is totally out of the question if they consider it a big enough risk? I don't.

It really is a luxury we have these days all these gadgets. If you think on it...most people could live without laptops,cameras, mobile phones etc. It would be difficult whilst away on business....but not impossible. Online storage of files is easy these days. Many business users use VPN. You can buy or hire a phone...you can buy a throw away watch for pennies. You can buy a throw away camera for a few pounds...

If they want to ban Lithium on planes....they will ban it.

May force the manufacturers into finding a safer, different, and maybe even better solution for powering gadgets.

I guess we would pay for that through the butt though:rolleyes:

mark