PDA

View Full Version : Another photo thread

euan
2nd January 2008, 05:59 PM
Well, I'm looking at getting another camera to supplement my IXUS 850is.
I need a long zoom type camera and looking at between two, the Fuji SD8000fd and the Panasonic Lumix FZ18. I've discounted the Olympus SP560 as I didn't find it comfortable to use, nor was I overly impressed by the usability of it.

I want the long zoom for wildlife stuff mainly, it won't really be used inside as I've got the IXUS for that.

Has anyone got any thoughts on these cameras? Anyone used them? Anything to be aware of that I'm missing?

Sheilz
7th January 2008, 02:36 AM
I dont know if you're any further forward getting a camera to suit your needs. I think your best bet is to go to a photography website where the folks that use or know about your preferred model will be able to give you the pros and cons. Sorry not to be more help.

Gismo
7th January 2008, 07:04 AM
As Sheilz mentions, ask at a suitable shop, the one that Fi directed me to, Ffordes, i think, in Inverness were very very helpful in making my mind up :)

euan
7th January 2008, 09:33 AM
I went and had a play in the local place, and used dpreview.com for research and reviews (they have very active forums full of people even more geeky than we are on MINI's!) and went for the Panasonic and so far been impressed with it.

It can do RAW, 18X optical zoom, it's light and gives me a good starting point to learn about how SLR's work without the expense of an SLR, nor the weight! When I go on honeymoon we are restricted to a 15KG total bag weight, including hand luggage(!) so this is ideal for what we need. When there is some decent light I'll get out and take some pics and show them on here.