PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Mini

Gordons_cooper_wrks
1st January 2008, 03:48 PM
As of yesterday i am now the very proud owner of a 1.8 turbo 150bhp vw polo gti. I had had enough of the mini and it was time for a change. There are to many minis on the road now, they dont have the same exclusivity as they used to. The polo is a rocket. So much power in such a small light car. Its is going in to get the windows tinted in a few weeks then after that the alloys are going away to get powdercoated in a light charcoal colour. Any one know of any good places that can powdercoat alloys?

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n51/Gordonshute/polo_gti_02.jpg

Sweeney
1st January 2008, 03:56 PM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n51/Gordonshute/polo_gti_02.jpg

Hes having trouble getting it up, pardon the pun :eek: :p

Sweeney
1st January 2008, 03:58 PM
Very nice as said before gordon :D

As to not offend anyone i shall leave my comment at that :D ;)

Our cars are somewhat related :eek:, you bringing it along to robs run?

As for the wheels, dont take it wheel services whatever you do... Ill have a dig around for places and let you know ;)

Will look sweet with the tints, all round i assume?

Gordons_cooper_wrks
1st January 2008, 04:01 PM
thats the picture!!! cheers I will need to ask permision to bring it on robs run. Us vw gti drivers wouldnt want to show all the minis up!! heheheh

stoney
1st January 2008, 04:01 PM
very nice gordon have you got it yet if not when ??

The Dogfather
1st January 2008, 04:03 PM
Can't understand why you would swap a MINI for a Polo GTI.

Gordons_cooper_wrks
1st January 2008, 04:06 PM
ive got the car jst now. got it yesterday. y would i not want to swap the mini for a polo? 1.6 118 bhp or 1.8 turbo 150bhp mmmmm i wonder????. Minis are like arses!! everyone has got one!! lol:D :D :D :D Think we will need to think about startin nvws. (new volswagen scotland)

The Dogfather
1st January 2008, 04:08 PM
Reading the reviews the reason why the MINI is common and the Polo isn't is because the Polo is inferior in every department bar power.

Sweeney
1st January 2008, 04:11 PM
No need gordon, ill gve you a couple sites to join ;)

Ivano
1st January 2008, 04:45 PM
are you going to fit your MINI alloys to it??? It seems that VW owners have taken to fitting MINI alloys on their cars (See Below)

http://deutschebags.com/gerry/ratrab.jpg

Ivano
1st January 2008, 04:46 PM
Found another pic with MINI wheels on a VW

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/dubsnmotion/SideBoatRamp626x374.jpg

KenL
1st January 2008, 05:25 PM
Good luck with it.

The Polo GTI looks a very nice car, enjoy.

euan
1st January 2008, 05:54 PM
Found another pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/dubsnmotion/SideBoatRamp626x374.jpg

That's a Golf, not a Polo. I had one of those, in dark green. Slow for a GTi, but a very nice car all the same.

Ivano
1st January 2008, 05:58 PM
That's a Golf, not a Polo. I had one of those, in dark green. Slow for a GTi, but a very nice car all the same.

I know... it was the wheel reference in the previous post why i posted these pics

Sweeney
1st January 2008, 06:00 PM
"Pepper pot" alloys aren't exclusive to MINI ;) Plus the older cars wil fit 4 studs aye but the new vw's are 5 studs ;)

Must admit i think the S spokes look nice of the golf

duncan
1st January 2008, 06:20 PM
ive got the car jst now. got it yesterday. y would i not want to swap the mini for a polo? 1.6 118 bhp or 1.8 turbo 150bhp mmmmm i wonder????. Minis are like arses!! everyone has got one!! lol:D :D :D :D Think we will need to think about startin nvws. (new volswagen scotland)

Nice. Have a pop at MINIs on a MINI website. You sure know how to win friends and influence people. :rolleyes:

AeroJonny
1st January 2008, 08:11 PM
Gordon...try powdertec in glasgow. They did a brilliant job on my alloys and have had good reviews from other nms'ers and the guys are really decent.

They're based in Kinning Park.

40 Houston Street,
Glasgow,
G5 8RS

Tel: 0141 420 6063

Gordons_cooper_wrks
1st January 2008, 10:39 PM
cheers for the coments. im not puttin the mini alloys on it. the alloys that are on the car suit it well.

Gordons_cooper_wrks
1st January 2008, 11:07 PM
Reading the reviews the reason why the MINI is common and the Polo isn't is because the Polo is inferior in every department bar power.

I guess thats why you dont have a mini then. I mean there are so many smart barabus on the road. And lets just say the MX5 is a favorite among the hair dressing industry. I dont mean to make digs but i do not appreciate someone telling me that my new car is INFERIOR!!!

Craig
1st January 2008, 11:25 PM
I guess thats why you dont have a mini then. I mean there are so many smart barabus on the road. And lets just say the MX5 is a favorite among the hair dressing industry. I dont mean to make digs but i do not appreciate someone telling me that my new car is INFERIOR!!!

nor do MINI owners like to here their car referred to as "an arse" by someone who doesn't have one anymore and who choses to do it publicly.:( :(

hope Polo works out for you, and that your only tinting the back windows ;)

duncan
1st January 2008, 11:27 PM
Yes, Its a nice car you have bought, but, what else can you expect on a forum dedicated to MINIs?

We're hardly all gonna say I wish I had a VW Polo!!!!

And with the greatest of respect, VB wasn't the first to start the insults flying, he just questioned WHY you would want one. From post 1, you were running the MINI down. :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2008, 12:03 AM
Best of luck with the new car Gordon. It's not a MINI, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it all the same.;)

Once you've registered with a VW site, let me know which one, so I can pop over and tell them all their car's are like arses.:D

A.:D

Sheilz
2nd January 2008, 12:04 AM
I think if I was to pick a car that was economical for work a wee Polo (though less powerful one to yours) would be a serious contender. However, I chose my car because its fun, its bonnie to look at and because it stands out from the crowd and amazingly, despite the zillions of minis now on the road, my little mini is still quite unique having yet to see another exactly like it. I don't think I'd be able to say the same if I'd a Polo, or a Feestie, or a Punto, or a ........... Get my drift.

Is it not the case that all cars apart from classics and super cars are common as a*ses just some are downright boring with it.

JCWmini
2nd January 2008, 12:44 AM

Dont waste you time, it not worth it mate.

Nice "mini" golf gti, probably get a remap to 180-190bhp for £350

As for the wheels, someone above has already suggested powdertec, i have not used them but have heard nothing but good reports from a number of people. My local tyre fitter sends people to them exclusively.

Gismo
2nd January 2008, 04:39 AM
Nice enough looking car, hope you enjoy it, however, one thing, please reduce your signature pic to the correct forum size or it may be removed :)

The Dogfather
2nd January 2008, 07:54 AM
In every review I've seen the Polo GTI is considered to be second choice to every other small hot hatch. Its slower, doesn't handle as well and has the 'I can't afford the Golf' image hence why I questioned your choice. If you'd gone for something else then I could have understood.

BTW the Brabus was the fastest small car for the money, it had the best spec and was unusual. That's why I picked it, I sold it because I enjoy driving and I just got fed up with the torque steer. As for the MX5, its a hairdressers car I'll give you that, hence my username, but it's most successful roadster ever with good reason.

illegalhunter
2nd January 2008, 09:25 AM
another 1 bites the dust

euan
2nd January 2008, 09:47 AM
As a used buy, you can't really go far wrong with a Polo. That engine is a cracker, they are well built and quick. What they don't have, and I don't think anyone would dispute, is that they don't have the personality of some of the other cars on the road. Even Top Gear magazines say as much - the Polo is listed as saying there are more interesting cars out there, but they would never say not to buy one. Handling wise it's not going to set the world alight.

In saying that, I'm looking at a Polo for the missus at the moment, you really can't go far wrong with VW's as they do hold the value better than a lot of cars, and with that engine it'll fly.

euan
2nd January 2008, 09:48 AM
I know... it was the wheel reference in the previous post why i posted these pics

Fair enough - I hadn't read your post right!!!;);)

JCWmini
2nd January 2008, 02:46 PM
Nice enough looking car, hope you enjoy it, however, one thing, please reduce your signature pic to the correct forum size or it may be removed :)

What a pleasant forum this is.

The Dogfather
2nd January 2008, 02:49 PM

Ehh?:confused:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2008, 03:06 PM

Like Vidal Bufoon says: "Eh?"

Explain how Bonnie Scotland could have put his request in a more pleasant manner.

A.

The Dogfather
2nd January 2008, 03:19 PM
Like Vidal Bufoon says: "Eh?"

Explain how Bonnie Scotland could have put his request in a more pleasant manner.

A.

Excuse me Mr Gordon could you possibly, if its not too much trouble, pretty please resize your loverly (sic) signature picture to one which conforms to the recommended size. Thank you very much. By the way has anyone told you how well you are looking to day. Sir thank you sir.

stoney
2nd January 2008, 03:20 PM
Excuse me Mr Gordon could you possibly, if its not too much trouble, pretty please resize your loverly (sic) signature picture to one which conforms to the recommended size. Thank you very much. By the way has anyone told you how well you are looking to day. Sir thank you sir.

lmao :D :D :D :D :D

Gordons_cooper_wrks
2nd January 2008, 03:22 PM
wats up with my sig??? it looks like the same size as all the other ones. cheers for the coments. Mon the gti's!!!!!! :D

The Dogfather
2nd January 2008, 03:25 PM
Gtis? Is that a typo? ;)

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2008, 03:30 PM
wats up with my sig??? it looks like the same size as all the other ones. cheers for the coments. Mon the gti's!!!!!! :D

When you first put the image in your signature it was too big. It broke the site rules on signature image sizes. However, now it is OK. You have sweeney to thank for that by the looks of where the image is sitting.

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2008, 03:30 PM
Gtis? Is that a typo? ;)

Sniggers.:D :D

Now, now.;)

Sweeney
2nd January 2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah sorted, although ive been a rule breaker for a long time, my last one (Red cartoon mini) was 550x110 ;) im gonna do another one for me anyway so will make sure its appropriate dimensions ;)

There are other oversized ones but im not naming names! :o

As for the typo id happily accept the fact ill be a GIT driving a GTI :p :rolleyes: :D

The Dogfather
2nd January 2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah sorted, although ive been a rule breaker for a long time, my last one (Red cartoon mini) was 550x110 ;) im gonna do another one for me anyway so will make sure its appropriate dimensions ;)

As for the typo id happily accept the fact ill be a GIT driving a GTI :p :rolleyes: :D

Sorry mate couldn't resist the joke ;)

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2008, 03:41 PM

If we're sticking hard and fast to the rules, you can add me and Bonnie Scotland to the list.:o But I think it's generally accepted that 500 X 100 is the absolute MAX size for a sig image.;)

Sweeney
2nd January 2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah i know, 5x1 is the max, but my 550x110 went unnoticed ;)

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah i know, 5x1 is the max, but my 550x110 went unnoticed ;)

We try not to be hitlers.;)

Back on topic now.......

Scottie
2nd January 2008, 05:30 PM
GordonCooperWorks:

Actually I think the Mini has a rather cute arse.:D and you'll struggle to find one that is as "pert" ;) :p

Your Polo looks nice I like the checked seats.:)

Duncan Stewart
2nd January 2008, 06:23 PM
Nice car Gordon :D Hope you enjoy it

FergusM
2nd January 2008, 09:03 PM

Is that not just what you implied to everyone with a mini ?

Gordons_cooper_wrks
2nd January 2008, 11:34 PM
My coment about "minis are like arses" is a joke. Has no one ever heard ............... are like arses, every one has one????? Its just a saying. not an insult. Yes sweeney is to blame for my sig, he made it!!! hehehehehehe. Mon the GTI's VW all the way!!! :D :D :D :D :D

KenL
2nd January 2008, 11:36 PM
My coment about "minis are like arses" is a joke. Has no one ever heard ............... are like arses, every one has one?????

There are probably more Polos on the road, it is just that nobody ever notices them :p :D