PDA

View Full Version : CD Player

jamiec
30th December 2007, 04:55 PM
Cd player in the car is sounding like it's trying to read the cd all the time i.e. when no ignition on or when listening to the radio. Is this common?

Car is 1st gen mini and this is a mp3 disc in the standard boost stereo.

Bit worried this might be a constant drain on the battery. Ok not much but if the car is left for a few days it might be a problem.

Anyone shed any light?

vintageb3
31st December 2007, 01:15 AM
Has this Cd player read MP3 discs before?

Have you tried another MP3 disc from the same source in your HU?

Have you tried the MP3 disc in another HU?

Have you used a CD Disc cleaner in the HU?

That's where I would start...

mark

duncan
31st December 2007, 02:29 AM
Does the HU have the chunky on/off button, or the smaller one?
The first Boost HUs didn't play MP3 discs, only the post-facelift ones did.

Does the disc stop "reading" when you power it off from the on/off button.

Does it make the "reading" noise without any disc in, or with another normal audio CD in?

vintageb3
31st December 2007, 03:01 AM
Duncan...JamieC's sig says 06 checkmate...good call to point out MP3 could be played on early units....since the unit in the 06 may have been swapped out for an early one.

mark

jamiec
31st December 2007, 10:56 AM
Has this Cd player read MP3 discs before?
Yes often

Have you tried another MP3 disc from the same source in your HU?
Yes same result

Have you tried the MP3 disc in another HU?
No, will do later

Have you used a CD Disc cleaner in the HU?
No

That's where I would start...

mark

Does the HU have the chunky on/off button, or the smaller one?
The first Boost HUs didn't play MP3 discs, only the post-facelift ones did.

It's the facelift boost stereo mp3 compatible.

Does the disc stop "reading" when you power it off from the on/off button.

No, disc still reads when stereo is off. Whenever I get in car it's first thing I hear.

Does it make the "reading" noise without any disc in, or with another normal audio CD in?

Pretty sure it's just the mp3 discs which may be answering the question.

Thanks for the replies. It's only a problem with the mp3 discs which is leading me to believe that the large file sizes is causing a problem somewhere.

Would this be a drain on the battery?

duncan
31st December 2007, 12:30 PM
Duncan...JamieC's sig says 06 checkmate...good call to point out MP3 could be played on early units....since the unit in the 06 may have been swapped out for an early one.

mark

Good shout. I have the sigs turned off ;)

Thanks for the replies. It's only a problem with the mp3 discs which is leading me to believe that the large file sizes is causing a problem somewhere.

Would this be a drain on the battery?

Eventually. why not just take the disc out and save the pain of a breakdown call?

I'd suggest a trip to the dealer, as it sounds like a fault with the head unit - i have mp3 discs in all the time, and have never returned to the car to hear it whirring away.

Gismo
31st December 2007, 01:57 PM
Is it still trying to read it after sitting all night??
I'm sure that the mini radio can still be operated for an hour with the ignition shut off, or, am i confused again :eek:

duncan
31st December 2007, 02:01 PM
Is it still trying to read it after sitting all night??
I'm sure that the mini radio can still be operated for an hour with the ignition shut off, or, am i confused again :eek:

It'll play for an hour, if you press the power button on the head unit, with the ignition off.

Gismo
31st December 2007, 02:04 PM
It'll play for an hour, if you press the power button on the head unit, with the ignition off.
Not totally confused then, so, take it back to the dealer, get it fixed under warranty :)