PDA

View Full Version : standard wheel nuts

choc
30th December 2007, 03:54 PM
sheared a wheel nut off when changing the rims for winter ,anyone got any spare

Gismo
30th December 2007, 04:36 PM
Aint it a bolt you need?? i have some in my loft, but, i'm 4,000 miles away :eek: and if you've sheared it off you're gonna have a helluva job getting the broken stud out of the hub

vintageb3
31st December 2007, 01:13 AM
But there's nothing holding the stud in now...so won't it just be finger tight?

Haven't seen the problem...but off the top of my head: Of you bore a hole into the centre or the broken stud...you get a tool that is reverse thread which will remove the stud. I would maybe even try dabbing a welding rod onto what's left of the stud to help remove it...or remove the hub and see if its easier to remove it from the back. Its a common problem...so there will be a solution.

You know the old saying: Where there's a will....there's a dead man:rolleyes:

mark

AeroJonny
31st December 2007, 03:15 AM
It's really difficult to bore the hole into the snapped bolt. Mind you the ones on a brake hub are probably stronger plus they'd been exposed to lots of heat etc. and I also think my Dad gave me the wrong drill bit.

A wee bit of a heat should help the sheared bolt out easier ;)

vintageb3
31st December 2007, 03:24 AM
If you centre dab the stud first...it will help you get a start. Even with a sharp drill bit and the drill set slow it will be a slow cut but its just one of those jobs you have to get done.

Any local garage would sort this out if you don't have the tools.

mark

choc
31st December 2007, 11:04 AM
gonna get the garage to do it when i book it in 2 do the wheel bearing ,will go in passed overton in dyce for a bolt if nobody has any

Gismo
31st December 2007, 12:14 PM
But there's nothing holding the stud in now...so won't it just be finger tight?Should be, but it won't be, all the salt and crap from the roads will have worked it's magic and seized the broken stud in place.
All the options listed are feasbale, though i wouldn't hope for the retap route, even with a centre dab etc.
A lot of heat should hopefully do the trick :)

Aberdeen Al
2nd January 2008, 05:19 PM
gonna get the garage to do it when i book it in 2 do the wheel bearing ,will go in passed overton in dyce for a bolt if nobody has any

I'm hopefully changing my alloys over tomorrow or Friday so will have a full set spare if you want one?

choc
3rd January 2008, 11:47 AM
that would be great mate ,give me a shout and we can meet up ,many thanks

Aberdeen Al
3rd January 2008, 10:54 PM
that would be great mate ,give me a shout and we can meet up ,many thanks

Getting changed on Friday - they are the black type from my MCS. I'll give you a shout when they are free and we can meet somewhere. Where abouts are you?

choc
4th January 2008, 07:21 AM
i stay in newmachar mate

Gismo
4th January 2008, 08:38 AM
If it all goes horribly wrong and you can't get a bolt, i have a full set in my loft, but, i'm not home until the 8th January :)

Aberdeen Al
4th January 2008, 12:55 PM
i stay in newmachar mate

Tcheucter then?!? :p

Do you work in town?

If not - PM me your address and I'll post them to you.

Cheers,

Al