PDA

View Full Version : long way down or Long let down

monkimagic
29th December 2007, 06:56 PM
The most recent adventure for the intrepid travellers has recieved a right ripping, the reviews are less than good and I must say I agree,

It was a sorry let down for me.....Charley came across as an ass, a show off who was looking to milk a cash cow with wheelies and lighting his own farts, funny once but repeatedly?...no!and Ewan came along cos Charlie wanted him too.

I have the book and DVD for the long way round but this show was rubbish!

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2007, 07:01 PM
:( :( :( :(

Got the book and DVD from Santa at Christmas. I was looking forward to watching/reading.

A.:D

The Dogfather
29th December 2007, 07:08 PM
yeah, I agree with you. Pish.

Craig
29th December 2007, 08:15 PM
Not as good as the first, but what sequel ever is ? :(

midge
31st December 2007, 02:33 AM
Getting back to the original topic, Yeh, I agree, the program was most dissapointing. After watching long way round, I couldn't wait for their next adventure travelling from John o'groats down to the most southerly point in the African contentent (Cape Aguilas). The Scotland part of the journey seemed to last about 2 minutes and then at the end they travelled the whole of South Africa and only showed about 15 minutes of it - Poor show!

Ps Indiana Jones Rocks!!

duncan
31st December 2007, 12:51 PM
What happened to this thread then? There were plenty of replies, that weren't offensive/contentious/libelous. Has a moderator had a rush of blood to the head?

Whats the point of an Off topic and Banter section, if it can't go off topic.

Gismo
31st December 2007, 01:53 PM
Whats the point of an Off topic and Banter section, if it can't go off topic.
Main reasons for deleted posts in the OT&B is if the orignator wants them deleted, not sure if that happened in this case.

Regarding the book, i wanted to read it first and have done so, what can i say, most of the book both Charley and Ewan were complaining bitterly and it didn't make for a good read.
They admitted it themselves in the book too, but still, i only hope that i like the DVD's better :)

duncan
31st December 2007, 01:59 PM
Main reasons for deleted posts in the OT&B is if the orignator wants them deleted, not sure if that happened in this case.

So its a case of keep the Off Topic, on Topic. Hmm.

Gismo
31st December 2007, 02:07 PM
So its a case of keep the Off Topic, on Topic. Hmm.
Well, yes and no :) as i said, if the original poster wanted the posts removed, then that's his choice and we will obey the request, however, i do not know if that happened in this case, but just wanted to answer your question.

Back on topic, the book..................wished i'd borrowed it rather than buying it

AndyP & Lenore
31st December 2007, 04:18 PM
Duncan. I had a rush of blood to the head.;)

Monki posted a comment that the thread was being hijacked. It had certainly gone way off topic from the original posters topic. I asked Monki if he wanted the off-topic posts removed. No reply, but another couple of posts also off-topic appeared so I deleted the lot. None of them were relevant to Monki's original topic anyway.

For the avoidance of doubt, I started the off-topic-ness in the thread in the first place, so I take full responsibility for the thread wandering off topic. Just cleaning up my own mess.;)

duncan
31st December 2007, 05:44 PM
Duncan. I had a rush of blood to the head.;)

Monki posted a comment that the thread was being hijacked. It had certainly gone way off topic from the original posters topic. I asked Monki if he wanted the off-topic posts removed. No reply, but another couple of posts also off-topic appeared so I deleted the lot. None of them were relevant to Monki's original topic anyway.

For the avoidance of doubt, I started the off-topic-ness in the thread in the first place, so I take full responsibility for the thread wandering off topic. Just cleaning up my own mess.;)

Thanks for your explanation Andy.

As a suggestion to you, perhaps when you're using your moderation powers, you should explain why you have deleted quite a large amount of posts, rather than just hitting the delete button.

I have no issues with the need for removing posts when it is required, but I feel that removing posts in the OT&B section when it has gone off topic is over zealous.

This is in no way a dig at you, by the way, I just feel that we're entering dangerous territory which smacks a bit of censorship.

Have a guid new year!

duncan
31st December 2007, 05:46 PM
P.S. I always thought that that Charlie Boorman was a tool, and never really took to him.

zimbo
31st December 2007, 06:42 PM
I cant really comment on what it was like in comparison to the original 'Long Way Round' because my previous job which was on shifts basis, I was not able to see every episode. But still enjoyed what I saw of this series.

I am going to have to get a DVD of the 'Long Way Round' to see the trip in its entirety. :D

AndyP & Lenore
31st December 2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your explanation Andy.

As a suggestion to you, perhaps when you're using your moderation powers, you should explain why you have deleted quite a large amount of posts, rather than just hitting the delete button.

I have no issues with the need for removing posts when it is required, but I feel that removing posts in the OT&B section when it has gone off topic is over zealous.

This is in no way a dig at you, by the way, I just feel that we're entering dangerous territory which smacks a bit of censorship.

Have a guid new year!

I forget that you mere mortal users don't see the deleted posts (otherwise what would be the point in deleting them:rolleyes: ), however Alan and I see a list of posts which have been deleted in a thread with a note of why they were deleted.

Will make a mental note that next time I delete en-masse I will post a message to say why.;)

FYI, I don't see the deletion of off-topic posts in ANY thread as censorship. More of a semi-real-time editing machine;). I know how easy it is to drift off topic at any time, and I know real conversations in the pub or in any social setting drift between subjects without any editorial input. But I'm sure you realise this is a different dynamic and the site occasionally requires attention (deletion) to keep conversations on-(original)-topic.

Cheers,

Scottie
31st December 2007, 09:10 PM
Oh boys are you not wandering off topic again.:p ;) ;)

more posts for you to delete Andyp.:rolleyes: :D

AndyP & Lenore
31st December 2007, 09:31 PM
Oh boys are you not wandering off topic again.:p ;) ;)

more posts for you to delete Andyp.:rolleyes: :D

Funny thing is.... as I was typing that reply, I was thinking the exact same thing.:rolleyes: Going off-topic, discussion going off-topic.:o

The Bull
31st December 2007, 10:19 PM
Whats that got to do with the Long Way Down?

euan
1st January 2008, 02:20 PM
I thought the show was a poor relation to the first one. They seemed so intent of getting to the next place and it was more about covering huge miles than the journey to get there. It all felt rushed, like they were trying to show everything and ended up showing nothing.

Shame really, the first one was so enjoyable.

Julz
3rd January 2008, 01:48 PM
Well, I'm a back to front fan!! Having missed basically every single episode of the first one due to that inconsiderate thing known as a baby! ;) So, with this one, I watched every episode and really enjoyed it, so basically, I'm getting a shot of the long way round from my in-laws and looking forward to it if it was much better than the first!!:p :D

AndyP & Lenore
3rd January 2008, 05:12 PM
Well, I'm a back to front fan!! Having missed basically every single episode of the first one due to that inconsiderate thing known as a baby! ;) So, with this one, I watched every episode and really enjoyed it, so basically, I'm getting a shot of the long way round from my in-laws and looking forward to it if it was much better than the first!!:p :D

Julz, I'm half way (down) the Long Way Down DVD. I'm enjoying the journey, but like euan say's it all seems rushed. If you like the Long Way Down, you will LOVE the Long Way Round.

vintageb3
3rd January 2008, 09:41 PM
I've two episodes to watch....and I'm quite enjoying it. I don't think its rushed if you consider they really don't need to cover stuff they covered in the first series.

If that was the case...we may be complaining about that.

Some folks will find just anything to complain about.

I'm not a huge fan of either of these guys....but its an interesting enough watch.

mark

euan
4th January 2008, 12:21 AM
I've two episodes to watch....and I'm quite enjoying it. I don't think its rushed if you consider they really don't need to cover stuff they covered in the first series.

If that was the case...we may be complaining about that.

Some folks will find just anything to complain about.

I'm not a huge fan of either of these guys....but its an interesting enough watch.

mark

Can you give examples of what you think they didn't need to cover?

I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining - I thought it was inferior to the first one and I did not enjoy it anywhere near as much as the long way round. I ended up getting fed up when it was them at a border saying "this is us going into this amazing country", then you see Charlie doing some wheelies, and then the next thing you know they are at the next border and you've not seen anything of the country, or perhaps more importantly, the guys journey through the country.

Sometimes, the journey is the most important aspect of a trip, and in this case it most definitely should be. I just didn't feel it was shown in the right way.

vintageb3
4th January 2008, 12:25 AM
I will do a list for you tomorrow...

mark

Gismo
4th January 2008, 05:47 AM
Sounds like i'm glad i read the book first, will watch the DVD when i get home.
But, a lot is explained in the book that is being spoken about here.
Not gonna say anymore to avoid spoiling the book :)

euan
4th January 2008, 10:33 AM
I will do a list for you tomorrow...

mark

Don't make it too long :D