PDA

View Full Version : Which torx screwdriver to use?

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2007, 06:01 PM
Went to install my newly acquired centre arm rest today. Discovered I need to take the torque screws out of the rear seat slider mechanism thingymabob. The biggest torque screwdriver head I have goes up to T20.... anyone know what size I need for these screws? And does anyone else in the world know why-oh-why they use torque screw heads in the first place? Why not just use a nut head or a simple philips head for that matter.:confused: :confused:

I'm assuming I'm using the right word here for these screw heads. Always thought they were called torque heads, but now I'm questioning my own sanity.:confused: :o

A.:D

duncan
29th December 2007, 06:15 PM
I think you'll find its TORX. Torque is the measurement of force.

And torx heads are farily standard in cars these days. They can be much better than slots and philips, as the others easily burr.

Craig
29th December 2007, 06:18 PM
whenever I get a problem like this, I normally take the fitting into a local diy store and try it with the bits till I get the right size to buy... :D Will check my tools to see if I have one bigger than a T20 and if so I will bring it tomorrow.. :)

duncan
29th December 2007, 06:20 PM
I had to buy bigger torx socket than the normal kits supply when taking out the seats of a Vauxhall Ashtray. Hellfrauds used to have these kind of things.

KenL
29th December 2007, 06:35 PM
I think the correct word is "Torx".

The max size is probably 30. I think my set has a 25 and a 30.

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2007, 06:44 PM
I think you'll find its TORX. Torque is the measurement of force.

And torx heads are farily standard in cars these days. They can be much better than slots and philips, as the others easily burr.

I know what torque is. :rolleyes: I just figured they had called it that because it offers a higher level of torque over a standard screwdriver. So, really it's just a typo, on my part. Thanks for the physics lesson though.:D

whenever I get a problem like this, I normally take the fitting into a local diy store and try it with the bits till I get the right size to buy... :D Will check my tools to see if I have one bigger than a T20 and if so I will bring it tomorrow.. :)

I tried that Craig, but Halfords threatened to call the police if I didn't reverse the car back out of their foyer. See, the TORX:rolleyes: bolts are still in the seat frame.;)

Many thanks for the offer of a loan of one tomorrow though, if you have one.;)

Crombers
29th December 2007, 07:11 PM
For technical issues such as these I tend to seek the assistance of the Mini Pit Crew ;) :D

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2007, 07:14 PM
For technical issues such as these I tend to seek the assistance of the Mini Pit Crew ;) :D

Crombers, I'm hoping one of the MINI pit crew will be able to help tomorrow.;)

duncan
29th December 2007, 07:22 PM
I know what torque is. :rolleyes: I just figured they had called it that because it offers a higher level of torque over a standard screwdriver. So, really it's just a typo, on my part. Thanks for the physics lesson though.:D

Yeah, yeah, so you say now :p

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah, yeah, so you say now :p

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

markyc
29th December 2007, 07:37 PM
Mini Pit Crew Member here Mr P !!!! :D

I'll try and dig out the torx bits I used when I was fitting my arm rest and bring them along tomorrow ;)

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2007, 07:42 PM
Mini Pit Crew Member here Mr P !!!! :D

I'll try and dig out the torx bits I used when I was fitting my arm rest and bring them along tomorrow ;)

You're a star!:D

A.;)

Scottie
29th December 2007, 07:57 PM
If Marky can't find one Allan will give you a shot of one.:D

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2007, 07:58 PM
If Marky can't find one Allan will give you a shot of one.:D

Allan's a star also.:D :D :D

Craig
29th December 2007, 08:22 PM
so that will be me bombed out then....:rolleyes: ;)

AndyP & Lenore
29th December 2007, 08:33 PM

Not at all. You can stand back and shout encouragement.:D

Scottie
29th December 2007, 08:43 PM

No your a Pulsar................ No not the watch;) ;)