PDA

View Full Version : Top Up Tv+

monkimagic
28th December 2007, 03:26 AM
Anyone got Top up TV+ and would your recommend it?

I currently have old skool sky but dont wanna spend the cost of Sky+, for what we watch it dont merit it.

Any suggestions? Comments?

AndyP & Lenore
28th December 2007, 11:27 AM
Anyone got Top up TV+ and would your recommend it?

I currently have old skool sky but dont wanna spend the cost of Sky+, for what we watch it dont merit it.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Good thread Monki.....

We're trying to persuade Lenore's old folks to go for Sky+ or Freeview Playback. They only have cooncil telly at the mo with a plasma with freeview built in. But they do lots of VHS recording (ha! remember them?)

Has anyone seen/used Freeview Playback? Is it as good as Sky +?

A.:D

euan
1st January 2008, 02:13 PM
I did a load of research into this earlier in the month. Tesco were doing the boxes for 80 quid in November, so I was very tempted!

The problem with TUTV is that it downloads all the content overnight to the HD. This is fine if you want the content (which you need to pay for), otherwise it's just taking up your disk space. If you don't subscribe, it will still allocate the space for it unless you turn it off.

The box seems stable, and you can Setanta on it which was my reason for interest as it's the only "cheap" PVR with this feature. They are constantly fixing any issues with it as well, so I wouldn't have much worries about it. At the end of the day, try it, you can always to take it back.

Freeview Playback - I've not used it but the thing to remember is that it's a standard not an interface. So the boxes must come with things like a 7 day EPG, and completely populate it within X number of seconds of opening it etc. Every manufacturer makes it's own EPG, though some share them.

The "best" ones seem to be Topfield and Humax, but they are about 200 quid so this seems a neat little box for the money. I held off going for Humax and Toppy as there are new HD versions coming soon apparently.

The other one I would look at is made by Logik, but it's also sold as a Wharfedale - made by ex-Sony people in Wales and it's a cracking box (no Setanta slot though). I've got their simple Freeview box and it's great - the red button and EPG is very fast. The other one I looked at was Evesham's one, but again it's not got a Setanta slot.

Gismo
2nd January 2008, 04:56 AM
For what it's worth, i have two sky plus boxes in my house, have never had top up tv to compare, but, being able to record onto a hard drive and to then be able to watch what i want to watch works very well for me.

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2008, 11:30 AM
For what it's worth, i have two sky plus boxes in my house, have never had top up tv to compare, but, being able to record onto a hard drive and to then be able to watch what i want to watch works very well for me.

Alan, do you also subscribe to Multi Room to make use of both Sky + boxes properly?

A.

Gismo
2nd January 2008, 12:22 PM
Alan, do you also subscribe to Multi Room to make use of both Sky + boxes properly?

A.
Andy, not sure what multi room covers, what i have is an exact replica of my main subscription on my second set which costs £10 extra, except that i have an HD subscription on the main system and only normal sky plus in my games room.
I have a Denon amp in my games room that upscales every source to 1080 :) fantastic picture and really improves the sky images

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2008, 01:12 PM
Andy, not sure what multi room covers, what i have is an exact replica of my main subscription on my second set which costs £10 extra, except that i have an HD subscription on the main system and only normal sky plus in my games room.
I have a Denon amp in my games room that upscales every source to 1080 :) fantastic picture and really improves the sky images

Yeah, I think that extra £10 is your Multi Room subscription.

Your setup sounds cool.:cool:

A.;)