PDA

View Full Version : 150g/km limit!!!

The Dogfather
27th December 2007, 10:32 PM
We had a bit of a bombshell dropped on us. Jackie does a lot of miles as part of her job (she works for the government), and they now put limits on the amount of miles you can claim for if you drive a car which produces over 150g/km. Previously you could claim 40p/mile for the first 10,000 then 25p/mile above, now if you have a car which is over 150 its 40p/mile for the first 6,000 then 8p above this. You don't have to be a maths genius to work out that that won't even cover your fuel.

I was wondering if this is just a government thing, or has it been pushed through into private industry as well?

Anyway, we're looking at our options as we are going to be out of pocket as a result, one option is to change the car, but there's not that many cars we'd consider which are in VED band C or below. The list below covers all the cars we are looking at: -

MINI Clubman, Cooper, D and S. Trouble is the difficulty in getting a decent spec on a nearly new as we're in a bit of a hurry.

Fiat 500 1.4 sport (fully loaded)

Civic 2.2 CDTI EX or S-Type GT spec

Audi A3 2.0TDI

Focus 2.0 TDCI Titanium

Accord 2.2 Estate (Dog Taxi)

Roomster Scout 1.9TDI (weird dog taxi)

We looked at the Golf and BMW 1 series and I didn't like them, even though the BMW is pretty damn quick. Is there anything else I should consider?

vintageb3
27th December 2007, 10:42 PM
Does Jackie have to buy the car?

If that is the case...£0.40 hardly covered your fuel as it was...what about wear and tear...servicing, insurance...and even the basic maintenance of weekly washing the car.etc?

Time for a career move?

mark

Craig
27th December 2007, 10:45 PM
Paul,

I work for the Police (which is effectively a Local Goverment Body) and we have not been told about ANY changes to mileage allowances. Ours are roughly the same as what Jackie's used to be, however I am only a casual user, not an essential.

If it helps your choice, Jude has a Civic 2.2 CDTI Sport (5 Door in Black). It is superb to drive, returns over 40mpg around town and since July it has not missed a beat. I would recommend the Honda to anyone. :cool:

The Dogfather
27th December 2007, 11:11 PM
Does Jackie have to buy the car? If that is the case...£0.40 hardly covered your fuel as it was...what about wear and tear...servicing, insurance...and even the basic maintenance of weekly washing the car.etc? Time for a career move?
mark

Mark, the figures are what Inland Revenue recommend (at least they did) based on using your own car, not buying a car which can only be used for work.

Paul,

I work for the Police (which is effectively a Local Goverment Body) and we have not been told about ANY changes to mileage allowances. Ours are roughly the same as what Jackie's used to be, however I am only a casual user, not an essential.

If it helps your choice, Jude has a Civic 2.2 CDTI Sport (5 Door in Black). It is superb to drive, returns over 40mpg around town and since July it has not missed a beat. I would recommend the Honda to anyone. :cool:

Craig, she's an essential user I believe, there's a leasing scheme but I'm not sure of the tax implications. The Honda is close to if not top of the list at the moment, mainly due to the complications of getting a MINI. :o

weefossy
28th December 2007, 12:11 AM
I've always been a Honda fan. Loved all the Accords I've had and Nellies civic is top class.

AndyP & Lenore
28th December 2007, 02:26 AM
My accountant hasn't said anything about this.:o

<<<Makes mental note to call him in the new year.:rolleyes:

A.:confused:

illegalhunter
29th December 2007, 11:55 AM
you get tax relief @ 40p per mile.

Gismo
29th December 2007, 12:28 PM
As Deeslayer says, you can claim back on your personal tax return the difference to what your employer allowance is.
Admittedly you only get the rebate yearly, but, a nice wee lump sum when you need it

The Dogfather
29th December 2007, 01:20 PM
Are you 100% certain that the tax rebate it still applies?

Gismo
29th December 2007, 03:25 PM
Are you 100% certain that the tax rebate it still applies?
I have not had to claim it for a long time, so, i'm not really sure, check with an accountant, or even your human resource contacts

illegalhunter
29th December 2007, 04:33 PM
Hell yes you claim back the difference between what your employer pays you for your mileage & the 40p . This is also taxable . You get tax relief @ 22% if you dont pay 40% tax . Ive got 19000 biz miles to claim alrady this year with 4 moths to go. I claimed 6000 last year & got a £576 rebate. Phone centre 1 ask for an exspensizes claim form.