PDA

View Full Version : Boot locking mechanism

Smurf
27th December 2007, 08:21 PM
Has anyone had problems with their boot locking and unlocking?

A week or so ago, I put a box in the boot (with the seats folded down) and when I got home, the boot wouldn't unlock, I couldn't get the tailgate open. Tried the following day, and it worked perfectly... removed the box, folded the seats up (the box was too big to squeeze past the seats and out the front doors) and assumed all was well.

Now, it's pot luck when I go to open the boot whether it works perfectly normally, or whether it stays locked! So, I can't use the boot, because there's no other way to get into it if it stays locked... :(

The other day, and again this afternoon, after using the car, stopped, parked, and turned the ignition off, and the boot pops open... Also this afternoon, with the boot hatch open, I can hear the locks clicking away when I'm not pressing the key button, and the front doors aren't locked...

Has anyone any suggestions? Wiring fault? Key fault? Could this be a warranty issue? (She'll be 3 at the beginning of March)

Any help much appreciated!!

Ivano
27th December 2007, 09:33 PM
Smurf you are probably not going to believe this but the EXACT same problem has happened to my Sister's Cooper S today... She could not get into the boot as appeared locked and also when she stops the car and takes the key out of the ignition the boot pops open, just as is happening to you.

I phoned the dealership for her and they said to check the button on the key with the boot opening symbol as it might reset its self if pressed again. However when i advised them about the boot popping open when removing the key from ignition the Service Manager couldn't believe it and had never happened before to any MINI he had come across.

My sister is out so we have not tested the reset key option yet but will tomorrow and if not will get the car booked in to be looked at.

The only thing we are thinking is that her car was in the dealership only last week as her drivers side electric window had failed and would not move but was fixed with a new motor mechanism i believe. So this could be related in our situation...

But how bizarre that this has happened to 2 seperate MINIs almost at the same time..:confused: :confused: :confused:

Smurf
27th December 2007, 10:17 PM
Thank you Ivano, I'll also try the boot lock button on my key tomorrow, see if that helps...

I haven't had any electrical problems before, which is why I wondered if it was the key causing the problems. My other thought was to use my spare key for a while...

My car has been in the dealership in the last couple of months too, but that was for a steering column. Which dealership have you had discussions with? A Glasgow dealer? Just wondering if it might be best if I speak to the same one as you, rather than explaining the problem to another dealer...

I'd be interested to hear how your sister gets on! :) Hope she has some luck!

Ivano
28th December 2007, 12:22 PM
It is Harry Fairbairn in Giffnock. I spoke to Bill Rae (Service Manager) give him a call. 0141 637 6300. I will let you know how she gets on. I am going to try the key thing for her this morning at some point to see if that works but im not holding my breath

Ivano
28th December 2007, 01:18 PM
Key re set does not work therefore car has now been booked in for next week to be looked at. My sister mentioned to them that a member of New Mini Scotland (You) has encountered the exact same problem and they were a bit shocked.

They have not come across this before...

AeroJonny
28th December 2007, 04:14 PM
If you really need to get into your boot, lift up the rear seat bench and pull the ring attached to a wire which is located right in the middle. This will manually release the boot locking mechanism. Granted it's a bit of a kerfuffle, but it's there in case this sort of thing happens (or the batttery dies )

Hope it helps guys ;)

Ivano, if you want a hand pm me.

Neil and Lorna
28th December 2007, 05:12 PM
Our boot had the same problem a few weeks ago.

Needed new boot switch assembly and a small bit of wiring loom replaced. All under waranty
Apparently water can get in and corrode some bits.
Peter Vardy in Edinburgh know about the problems.

Neil and Lorna.

Ivano
28th December 2007, 06:16 PM
Our boot had the same problem a few weeks ago.

Needed new boot switch assembly and a small bit of wiring loom replaced. All under waranty
Apparently water can get in and corrode some bits.
Peter Vardy in Edinburgh know about the problems.

Neil and Lorna.

Sounds like it could be this then.... She has the car booked in for Monday at the Dealership so hopefully it gets fixed. It is maybe worthwhile that she mentions what you have said given that they have not experienced this problem before...

PS thanks for the offer AeroJonny to help but she is never around she is always out flying around in her 'S' you have probably seen her......

AeroJonny
28th December 2007, 07:35 PM
yes indeed ;)

Smurf
28th December 2007, 11:09 PM
A big THANKS to all who have posted and helped.

I'm not too far from Giffnock, so I'll be calling, or paying a visit very soon. If they are fixing one car with the problem, then they are best placed to fix another one, and I'll be letting them know that another dealer in Edinburgh has also dealt with something similar.

I'll print this out and take it with me too ;)

Thanks guys! I love NMS :)

(Wonder how much they'd take to fix my goosed exhaust bracket too...)

Gorbash12346
30th December 2007, 07:56 PM
yep it's usually the no' plate light and boot handle plinth (it gets supplied as the one part) as the connections corrode till it stops working... though not always the case 9/10 is pretty close

Smurf
15th January 2008, 09:37 AM
She's all fixed!

Booked her into Harry Fairbairns Giffnock last Friday, very pleasant and efficient people, and the boot mechanism / handle / number plate light was replaced with a new one, and they also replaced my exhaust bracket under warranty too.

All done in the same day she was booked in, and with no fuss.

Said they'd had other cars with the same boot locking problem over the festive holidays.

:) :)

Think I might book her in there next month before she needs her first MOT at the beginning of March... :eek:

Ivano
15th January 2008, 09:58 AM
Said they'd had other cars with the same boot locking problem over the festive holidays.

:) :)

That would have been my Sister's car as one of them.

RyanK
15th January 2008, 06:15 PM
Mines is suffering from the same problem right now!

I fiddled with it last week and got it all fixed, and today I wash the car which involved a high pressure rinse and its now not working again:(

This is being discussed on Mini2 aswell at the moment, why is it happening to everyone!

How much did it cost to fix? if you don't mind me asking.

Smurf
15th January 2008, 09:02 PM
Sorry to hear you are having problems too...

My car is under 3 years old (JUST!) so it was done under warranty... ie free...

So sorry, I would have no idea how much this would cost. I'm sure a dealer would be able to give you a rough price over the phone?

RyanK
15th January 2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The only warranty I have with me car is a ScotSure dealer warranty due to me buying it second hand. I will phone my local dealer tomorrow though.

3GGG
26th January 2008, 06:24 PM
Yes Boot won't open! - I have had this problem twice, the first time a year ago and it fixed itself. Now again I had the same problem with my Aug 02 build MC. This model does not have the emergency cable release either.:mad:

Today I managed to get the back seats down by using a bent metal coathanger to grab the rear seat release lever. Then I tried to get the covers off the rear hatch and the panel over the catch - nae chance.:(

Finally I took the boot release handle off from the outside (4 torx screws). Faffed about and suddenly it opened.:confused:

I was then able to take the previously mentioned plastic panels off and check if there was any water or corrosion - there was none.:)

I took the rubber 'grommet' that you push to open the boot out of the handle. Cleaned up some slight mess, made sure the plastic lever that works the microswitch was clipped in firmly (that may have been the original problem). Put everything back together again and it is fine again.

Lastly I found out that holding the remote unlock button for 5 seconds opens the boot (I've had the car since 02 and didn't know that):o

Must get the mod done to fit the emergency release cable. It is a safety hazard without it - what would happen if you left someone locked in the car and then lost your keys, how could they get out? - You can't unlock the doors from the inside without the key. :eek: