PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Wheel Scuffs

Ivano
27th December 2007, 01:44 PM
I was giving my JCW Burnished Polished alloys a clean this morning which i took off for the Winter. The wheels were only 2 weeks old before i took them off for the 15" Pepperpots as all 4 JCW had just been replaced under warranty.

I have noticed that the inner edge of all 4 of the new alloys are slightly scuffed around the the diameter of wheels and taken some of the black lacquer off the inside of the wheels . I presume this has happened when the tyres have been put on by the dealership by whatever machine they have used. Is this just what happens when tyres are repalced or could it have been avoided?? or is this a case of Dealer neglect and care?

The scuffs are not that deep and are only very light just very frustrating that this has happened to a brand new set of alloys.

Has anyone else encountered this with their alloys??

Sweeney
27th December 2007, 02:01 PM
It's most likely the tyre fitters machine thats done it, mine have various little scratches etc. Its near impossible to avoid, i use people through work and they know to have fresh new adapters etc on the machine as ill moan like f**k if they mark them lol

Ivano
27th December 2007, 02:21 PM
That is what i thought. I am going to check my Sister's MINI later when she comes home to see if her wheels have any such scuffs as she recently got 4 new tyres fitted at the dealership.

Sweeney
27th December 2007, 02:24 PM
Have you ever seen how they take tyres off and put new ones on? You'd understand just how easy it is to mark them.

Chances are hers will be marked, although mine are only light light scratches, if they were silver i reckon you wouldn't be able to spot them.

Ivano
27th December 2007, 02:29 PM
Mine are only light scratches too and it only really shows up because the wheels are black on the inside. As you say if they were silver i probably wouldn't have noticed... I suppose the good thing is it is on the inside of alloys and not the outside...

vintageb3
27th December 2007, 03:36 PM
If the JCW wheels are 18's...and been fitted with runflats...I was told its getting the runflats off that's the difficult bit. They are so much stiffier than 16' or 17' runflats.

I found a Kwikfit near me that has a brand new machine for fitting alloys and when I had two runflats fitted to my winter 16's I asked what happened if the wheels were damaged? The manager told me they would not get damaged...he guaranteed it.

The manager told me that they would replace or repair the wheel if any damage did occur. When I went to pick up the wheels...there was no damage and the manager told me that the new machine they have can be adjusted to give some clearance from the wheel to avoid damage. Also there's no metal in contact with the wheel...it has all nylon or rubber fittings. Not sure about the tyre iron...never seen that.

It may all be rubbish...but there was in fact no damage. I will be using them for 18" runflat fitting as its more important to me that my wheels are not damaged...than it is saving a few quid buying elsewhere.

When the local dealership fitted two runflats for me...they subbed it out to National tyre fitting. I watched the guy fitting the tyres in his van from a distance...he was very careful...but still managed to scrape my alloys ever so slightly.

Good luck with dealing with the dealership....

mark