17th December 2007, 11:58 AM
Feel free to bash the R56 in this thread :D

Sweeney
17th December 2007, 12:03 PM
Where to start... where to start...!!! :p

;)

Gismo
17th December 2007, 12:20 PM
Well, there's no supercharger so you can hear it revving above the noise of the rushing water :D

The Dogfather
17th December 2007, 01:00 PM
It looks a bit podgy.

Craig
17th December 2007, 01:22 PM
design flaw in the sunroof blinds

gearbox fault and they don't know how to fix it (not sure if this is just the S). This was one of the main reasons for getting rid of the R56 completely

sound of rushing water (well it had to be here)

noisy wiper motors

faulty alternators

faulty fuel pumps

Sagging Leather on Punch Carbon Black

Dashboard rattles

misaligned body panels

:D :D

japper
17th December 2007, 01:41 PM

gearbox fault and they don't know how to fix it (not sure if this is just the S). This was one of the main reasons for getting rid of the R56 completely

noisy wiper motors

faulty alternators

faulty fuel pumps

Dashboard rattles

misaligned body panels

Touch wood, i haven't got any of the above problems. I had a slight dash rattle but that got fixed on one visit to dealer.

Now i've posted this, it'll all go to rat sh@t:rolleyes::p

Burple
17th December 2007, 01:44 PM

noisy wiper motors

faulty alternators

faulty fuel pumps

Dashboard rattles

misaligned body panels

The colours are dull. It's supposed to be a fun premium small car. So what do BMW give us? Nightfire Red - nowhere near the deep red of the r53, or anything like the 'proper' Rover colour. Or that awful metallic Champagne colour, like an old man's Honda. Eww.

The Dogfather
17th December 2007, 02:10 PM
The colours are dull. It's supposed to be a fun premium small car. So what do BMW give us? Nightfire Red - nowhere near the deep red of the r53, or anything like the 'proper' Rover colour. Or that awful metallic Champagne colour, like an old man's Honda. Eww.

Is that sparkling silver, I quite like that. Oh no, I feel then need to wear a hat in the car, and wait my ears are growing................ Help me I'm turning into an old fart

V11kae
17th December 2007, 02:33 PM
I love my R56 much more than my last cooper R52. no faults as yet but my pints always full! :)

Craig
17th December 2007, 02:36 PM
but my pints always full! :)

can I drink in the same pub as you then... ;) :D

ELFMAN
17th December 2007, 02:44 PM
I have no bashes to make - AND at least it isn't a ******* Golf or an MX5!!!!

Cummon the MINIS whatever yer R's!!!!!!!!! 'Where to start' indeed - you could 'start' by going onto a VW site....

The Dogfather
17th December 2007, 02:49 PM
I have no bashes to make - AND at least it isn't a ******* Golf or an MX5!!!!

Well, if it was an MX5 there would have been no faults, one of if not 'the' most reliable car.......

Sweeney
17th December 2007, 03:11 PM
Rest assured elfman, i am on a few :o :D I guess us non mini owners are to be censored now seeing as we don't own one we aren't entitled to our opinions (even when asked?) ;)

Hope i haven't touched a nerve :o

ianking
17th December 2007, 04:43 PM
I for one have only had 2 small faults with my car. Slight rattle from the dash, now fixed and it thought it had a flat tyre but it didnt, now fixed also.
Sarah only had 1 small fault with hers and that was a loose chrome trim under the grill.
When I think how many times we had Sarahs convertible back and my 05 plate Cooper back then I think I could write a novel about the experiences. Our early mini ones were all most faultless, almost as good as my R56 experiences.
I really think we should stop bashing the R56 as they are not all bad. If there are any new potential mini owners on here they are going to read all the negative stuff and then go and buy something else. This site has become quiet enough without scaring off any potential newbies.

N12 JLK
17th December 2007, 05:45 PM
Here we go again another thread having a pop at the R56 yawn yawn yawn. I wonder why there seems to hardly be anyone on NMS anymore, don't you think it could be that they are fed up with all the same banter/pops at folks cars, well I know I am that's why I hardly post.
The site has just lost its edge and its always the same folk making the digs, you may not think that people take it personally but Im starting to.
Instead of starting a thread like this KenL why don't you organise a run that all MINI enthusiasts can enjoy. Why don't you organise a MINI Meats night because after 12 that Ive done and the constant jibes I'm not that bothered anymore to organise another.

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2007, 06:18 PM
Here we go again another thread having a pop at the R56 yawn yawn yawn. I wonder why there seems to hardly be anyone on NMS anymore, don't you think it could be that they are fed up with all the same banter/pops at folks cars, well I know I am that's why I hardly post.
The site has just lost its edge and its always the same folk making the digs, you may not think that people take it personally but Im starting to. My R56 is superb and when I see a thread titled R56 Bashing it really Pi##es me off.
Instead of starting a thread like this KenL why don't you organise a run that all MINI enthusiasts can enjoy. Why don't you organise a MINI Meats night because after 12 that Ive done and the constant jibes I'm not that bothered anymore to organise another.

I do know what you mean Jason, but a site is what you make of it, and as much as threads like this aren't encouraging to new members, the more that follow your line of "hardly posting" makes the site quieter, no? It's a double edged sword.

Please don't have a jab at Ken on this one, I suspect he started the thread to offer all the members of the "R56 haters club" a location to vent their opinions, rather than in every thread that mentions the R56, which was getting tiresome. I know for a fact Ken loves his R56, and I'm sure he'll be along soon enough to confirm that.;)

BTW, love the way you put the word MINI in Chilli Red!

A.;) :D

KenL
17th December 2007, 06:21 PM

I started this thread as someone else suggested it in another thread:

http://newmini.thinkbiggar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12389&page=4 , post 24.

The reason I did it was I was hoping it would get it out of the way, hopefully for ever.

I had planned to start another (just like I did on MINI2) to ask people why they loved their R56 - maybe I shouldn't bother now :(

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2007, 06:22 PM
And now for my tuppence-worth....

We love our R56. Love the looks, love the engine (much quicker in the off than the R53 IMHO). And the JCW tuning kit has made it even quicker.

We were a little unhappy with the quality of some of the parts (sun roof blinds mostly) at first, but that has been fixed to our satisfaction.

We are still unhappy with the handling, and if we keep it, we will be doing something with that to make it the way we want it.

Other than that, after a couple of months of enjoying our new R53 toy, it will be a difficult decision which to take off the drive in the morning..... R53 or R56. Will probably depend what mood we're in.

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2007, 06:23 PM

The reason I did it was I was hoping it would get it out of the way, hopefully for ever.

I had planned to start another (just like I did on MINI2) to ask people why they loved their R56 - maybe I shouldn't bother now :(

No. I think it is critical that you do, for the same reasons Jason has posted his comments.

Go for it!;)

N12 JLK
17th December 2007, 07:02 PM

Come get it on then, lets hope the matters away to his bed now, come on the R56:) , no offence taken Ken maybe I took it the wrong way , R56 group hug.;)

FergusM
17th December 2007, 07:25 PM
Not another R56 bashing thread....and it does get very tiring...

unfortunately I have a few of the issues, but think in the longer term they'll get fixed...if I did not think so I would have not blown the money getting the stereo upgraded. The upgrade also fixes the dash rattling, as Mikey puts it back better than the factory, and you can turn it up loud enough to not hear any noises :)

Craig
17th December 2007, 07:48 PM
well, sorry if you think this is tiresome, but as a previous R56 owner I was meerly passing on info to others.

I think it's better to give both sides of the story (Good and Bad). Imagine if you went on a VW forum and everybody was saying that the new car is fantastic etc etc etc and there were no negatives. You would go and buy it and get a duffer and then when you enquired if some people have had problems, they all start to come out of the woodwork?

I'll not post any other info regarding the R56 as it's obviously touching a nerve with some people, that includes if anyone has a problem (which it would appear R56's don't get) then they can try and work out the problem themselves.

:( :(

I must have imagined the last 12 months of misery and stress and 2.5K deficit I had to pay out of my own pocket to get rid of my nightmare..:mad:

Sweeney
17th December 2007, 08:16 PM
In all fairness craig has a point, i did look up on what im getting and apparantly there has been some rather worrying issues with certain parts however they have been resolved 100% so thats good enough for me... My confidence in mini isn't too high, who buys a car to live with its rattles and creaks on a daily basis? i sure as hell didn't expect to and neither should anyone else

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2007, 08:34 PM
Craig, when I said tiresome, I meant that every thread that vaguely mentions the R56 or Clubman it turns into a bashing thread. That was getting tiresome.

I agree any discussion forum worth it's salt has to show both sides of the story. I also agree with Ken starting this thread. It gives everyone a chance to keep these issues in the one place.;)

No one can possibly argue with your experience of R56 ownership.:( I know it has affected you badly, emotionally and financially. And at the heart of the problem has been BMW/MINI their appointed retailers, and their approach to keeping you a "satisfied" customer. It speaks volumes that despite what you went through with the R56, when push came to shove, you went out and bought...... another MINI!;)

I just hope that anyone who does read this thread does realise that almost all the problems the R56 is suffering from are not exclusive to the MINI brand. Our FL2 (as great a car as it is) rattles like a MINI, occasionally has quirky electrical fits, and has a faulty heated windscreen. On looking at the freel2.com web site there are a few problems I need to be watching out for. Wouldn't have stopped me from buying it.:D

A.;)

duncan
17th December 2007, 08:54 PM
Well, I think there are some things that are a bit off in this thread.

But, hey, thems the breaks on a web forum, and i'm old enough not to care what anyone else thinks to be frank.:p

Both my Pre and Post facelift R50s have had minor issues with the car, and there's things I don't like about the car, and I'm more than happy to have mentioned them in the past, and in the future. We're talking BC1 issues, rattles and the likes here, but, the bottom line, in my opinion is both generations of MINIs have issues.

And when there was only the first generation on the road, problems and advice were discussed frequently on here, and there was never an issue.

And now, we've got the R56 on the road , we're not allowed to mention anything negative about it? Hmm.:confused:

Perhaps the R56ers that haven't got any issues need to, as per Kens proposed thread, speak up a bit more about them , and the thread kept on topic (yes, I know, says the man that goes off topic frequently). :rolleyes:

vintageb3
17th December 2007, 09:44 PM
Other than that, after a couple of months of enjoying our new R53 toy, it will be a difficult decision which to take off the drive in the morning..... R53 or R56. Will probably depend what mood we're in.

What a choice...

So....will it be SC WEEEEEEEE...or a Massey Ferguson tractor sound today?

Only joking;) :D

mark

japper
17th December 2007, 10:40 PM
And now for my tuppence-worth....

We love our R56. Love the looks, love the engine (much quicker in the off than the R53 IMHO). And the JCW tuning kit has made it even quicker.

We were a little unhappy with the quality of some of the parts (sun roof blinds mostly) at first, but that has been fixed to our satisfaction.

We are still unhappy with the handling, and if we keep it, we will be doing something with that to make it the way we want it.

Confused !, What is wrong with the handling ?. Compared to the R53, my R56JCW has better traction, more grip, better balance and more adjustabillity without being tricky like a clio R27 oh and it rides far better even on 18's and as such can attack twisty roads with broken surfaces with confidence rather than bouncing round like a fifty pence piece.

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2007, 11:09 PM
Confused !, What is wrong with the handling ?. Compared to the R53, my R56JCW has better traction, more grip, better balance and more adjustabillity without being tricky like a clio R27 oh and it rides far better even on 18's and as such can attack twisty roads with broken surfaces with confidence rather than bouncing round like a fifty pence piece.

Honestly Japper, I'm startled to hear that. We really and genuinely are not happy with our handling. It feels nothing like as solid on the road as our R53 did (one of the reasons we went out and bought another R53 last week:rolleyes: ). I have to admit we like to feel every single crack and dent in the road surface. Am happy to be knocked to kingdom come and back while driving. Rock solid is what we are looking for. Do you see where this is going.....?

But the R56 to us, feels fairly loose, soft and unresponsive. The steering is far to light, with very little feedback, and honestly, some time when we enter a bend, we're not sure we'll come out the other side on our wheels or on the roof. Please don't misunderstand me, we don't drive dangerously fast, but we do like a [MINI] spirited drive, but there is no doubt we simply can non tackle the same bends in our R56 the way we did (will do again) in our R53.

Thinking of fitting the JCW suspension kit to see if this helps. But I'm not inclined to spend another grand and find it makes no or little difference to the feel. May also at some point fit 18's, but again.... the cost:eek:

To be honest even Evo magazine found the handling on the R56 a bit sloppy, but the JCW kit in their opinion brought it back to how the R53 felt.

We do have sports suspension plus specc'ed on the car, but still feels pants to us.

Loving the car otherwise.

A.;)

The Dogfather
17th December 2007, 11:19 PM
Andy, I felt a bit disappointed with the handling of my new MX5 compared to the old version until I got the eibach springs fitted.

In the case of the MX5 the higher stance of the regular car was due to the pedestrian regulations. Now, this might not be connected but I remember when the first pictures of the R56 came out people commented on the higher stance.

japper
18th December 2007, 07:45 AM
Honestly Japper, I'm startled to hear that. We really and genuinely are not happy with our handling. It feels nothing like as solid on the road as our R53 did (one of the reasons we went out and bought another R53 last week:rolleyes: ). I have to admit we like to feel every single crack and dent in the road surface. Am happy to be knocked to kingdom come and back while driving. Rock solid is what we are looking for. Do you see where this is going.....?

But the R56 to us, feels fairly loose, soft and unresponsive. The steering is far to light, with very little feedback, and honestly, some time when we enter a bend, we're not sure we'll come out the other side on our wheels or on the roof. Please don't misunderstand me, we don't drive dangerously fast, but we do like a [MINI] spirited drive, but there is no doubt we simply can non tackle the same bends in our R56 the way we did (will do again) in our R53.

Thinking of fitting the JCW suspension kit to see if this helps. But I'm not inclined to spend another grand and find it makes no or little difference to the feel. May also at some point fit 18's, but again.... the cost:eek:

To be honest even Evo magazine found the handling on the R56 a bit sloppy, but the JCW kit in their opinion brought it back to how the R53 felt.

We do have sports suspension plus specc'ed on the car, but still feels pants to us.

Loving the car otherwise.

A.;)

I suppose it's what you prefer. IMO the R53 had lots of grip in the dry that to get the best out of it you had to be brutal and 'chuck' it into a bend to get front to grip and back end to 'liven' up a little. The R56 ( on 18's anyway ) feels lighter at the rear and you can brake, turn in and feed the throttle far earlier without ending up washing wide. In the wet the R56 is FAR, FAR better, as applying throttle mid bend in my R53 would cause the front end to wash wide BIG stylee:eek: . This was sorted by fitting both lower braces. The R56 has far better front end grip mid corner ( partly better RF technology, part more complient ride ) IMO:)

The Dogfather
18th December 2007, 09:06 AM
The R50/3 had one thing that I didn't notice in the brief spin in the R56, feel. Maybe because the suspension was so firm you had a more connected feel with the wheels. I always knew what each wheel was doing, this allowed you to get much closer to the handling limit without overstepping.

The car gave you a lot of confidence. Mind you on a bumpy road it was difficult to keep the car on track as you were constantly bouncing around. The R56 maybe quicker but IMHO it didn't have the same connected feel.

japper
18th December 2007, 10:21 AM
The R50/3 had one thing that I didn't notice in the brief spin in the R56, feel. Maybe because the suspension was so firm you had a more connected feel with the wheels. I always knew what each wheel was doing, this allowed you to get much closer to the handling limit without overstepping.

The car gave you a lot of confidence. Mind you on a bumpy road it was difficult to keep the car on track as you were constantly bouncing around. The R56 maybe quicker but IMHO it didn't have the same connected feel.

That is one of the only things worse about the R56 IMO. I don't mind it being lighter, but with it being electrical assisted rather than mechanical for fuel advantages it loses some feel. It's better with 18's. Pressing the sport button adds weight, but in my opinion loses feel.............it feels wooden and artificial.

Problem is i prefer the throttle settings on sport mode...........bugger:rolleyes:

The steering is still far better than a lot of cars though.

ELFMAN
18th December 2007, 01:49 PM
I think it's fine for everyone to have opinions and share information on our site. We all know the R56 has some issues, and Craig especially (Bless 'im) has gone through the mill more than once with his. I remember the early cars had faults too, and I found it extremely helpful to discuss and share ideas/problems/fixes - it's a major part of what the site is all about. I certainly don't think disgruntled R56 owners shouldn't feel free to air their troubles, and satisfied owners can share their positive experiences - I might well be buying one in the next couple of years (especially if the price of V-Power goes up and the Weefossies take me for a hurl in the Magic VAN!), so I sure as hell want to know the full story, and where better to get that story than on NMS?

'Everyone' includes non or ex-MINI owners too. I found Vidal's recent Tyre Info thread both interesting and enlightening - especially the temperature angle - made me think anyway. There's a first.......

Someone like Craig has more than enough reasons to be critical of MINI, but at least he's stuck with them through thick and thin, and the club would be a lesser place if he hadn't. I really hope everything works out, but in the meantime I'm more than willing to lend him an ear or two.

However, at the risk of veering a bit 'Off-Topic' (my apologies Mr. Moderator), what I WILL admit rubs me up the wrong way, and I've noticed it a few times recently, are Non or Ex-MINI owners taking a 'pop' at our cars. Some constructive criticism based on previous ownership is bearable, but if you just don't rate MINIs any more, and prefer to own another car, (there are loads of great motors out there - Golf GTI's included, Sweeney) why the need to tell us on NMS how much better you think it is than the MINI? It's like going into an Indian restaurant and moaning because there's too much Curry on the menu, or greeting your Ex with 'Say hello to my new girlfriend - better looking than you eh?' Still, if that's what floats yer boat, I won't lose any sleep over it. Honest. ZZZZZZZ... Anyway, I'm away to try to pinpoint that wee metallic vibration from near the glovebox... oh I forgot - it doesn't bother me!

Craig
18th December 2007, 01:53 PM
Someone like Craig has more than enough reasons to be critical of MINI, but at least he's stuck with them through thick and thin, and the club would be a lesser place if he hadn't. I really hope everything works out, but in the meantime I'm more than willing to lend him an ear or two.

Cheers Elfman - the voice of compassion.. :D :cool:

The Dogfather
18th December 2007, 02:10 PM
Elfman, I hope you don't think I was being critical of MINIs. I loved my old Cooper and the only reason I got rid of mine was because I thought it was causing the back pain I was suffering. As it turned out it wasn't. I have been critical of the dealers though some of them (JCs) are shocking.

My intention is to own another MINI in the not too distant future, and almost certainly it will be a podgy R56 Van as a replacement for the Veccy. To be honest if the clubman had been out six months earlier I'd be driving one now.

I have at times extolled the virtues of my MX5 but I don't think I ever said its better than a MINI. Both are great drivers cars but the MX5 just offers something a little different.

ELFMAN
18th December 2007, 04:46 PM
Vidal - No worries, I didn't get that impression from you, and glad to hear you're maybe going to be a MINIMAN again! In the meantime, wear a hat or your brain will freeze with the top down.

'Something a little different' from the MX5? Would that be a Discount at the Hairdressers???!!!! SORRY! that was uncalled for - (and only kidding) - I'm just jealous 'cos I'm a slaphead.

AndyP & Lenore
18th December 2007, 05:18 PM
It's like going into an Indian restaurant and moaning because there's too much Curry on the menu, or greeting your Ex with 'Say hello to my new girlfriend - better looking than you eh?'

Elfman, you crack me up. PMSL.:D :D :D

A:D

The Dogfather
18th December 2007, 06:56 PM
'Something a little different' from the MX5? Would that be a Discount at the Hairdressers???!!!! SORRY! that was uncalled for - (and only kidding) - I'm just jealous 'cos I'm a slaphead.

I don't mind the cutting comments <groan> about myself, hence the username. I only object to comments which say the car is a bit soft. TBH, the MX5 is a lot harder to drive fast than most tintops, its a lot less forgiving and I'm still learning. I reckon I'd have stuffed it on a corner if it wasn't for the DSC. OK its not as big a handful as a VX220 or an Elise but it can bite. :eek:

ELFMAN
19th December 2007, 12:36 PM
Just Kidding Mr. B! I'll try to 'Trim' my enthusiasm for creaky old obvious jokes. The only 'SOFT'-tops I've driven have been an MG Midget and an early Elise - which I found fine, but I wasn't pushing it TOO hard. It was on the road to Kinloch Rannoch as the sun was going down, and as a great 'weight saving' measure, Lotus didn't fit sun visors...... Still, it was great fun, and VERY basic feeling - but in a good way. It rattled more than the Midget, but apparently that's just the suspension working. My pal (who's had it for years now from new) actually took it back after a week as he thought there was something loose somewhere!

Re. the MX5 being 'harder to drive fast than most tintops', Evo magazine did an interesting article a while back on suspension modifications for the latest MX5 - which you probably saw, as they had some difficulty driving it fast too.... in comparison with the first incarnation, which was one of the sweetest movers on the road. The 'new' MX5 looks great, but as you said, it sits a bit high - a wee bit lower and it'd look spot-on. But it seems that EVERY car has its 'R53/Early Vs. R56/Later' conundrums eh?

The Dogfather
19th December 2007, 04:50 PM
Mine's been lowered but its still a handful on the slippery salted/muddied roads . The DSC cuts in on any quick get away and I'm used to opposite locking out of roundabouts now :D

illegalhunter
19th December 2007, 05:05 PM
Clutches , flywheels , footwell modules, speakers, amps, washers, arm rests, altinators, fuel pumps, speedos & the customer service from the dark ages . All this in just 17 weeks.

Gismo
20th December 2007, 04:24 AM
Folks, i deleted some messages on the "Why I Like The R56" thread cause of being way off topic, this one was staying almost on topic, but has veered away, so, please stay on topic :)

PETR0L
3rd January 2008, 08:18 AM
It looks a bit podgy.....

x2 :D

markyc
3rd January 2008, 09:14 PM
My opinion on the R56;

Love the thing to bits, best car i've ever bought, havin a flippin ball with it.

Yes there were all those issues that we are well aware off and thankfully I didn't have as many as Craig did with his R56 (sorry big fella)

Love it Love it Love it :D ;)

duncan
3rd January 2008, 09:28 PM
Wrong thread, Marky. There's a separate one for Bigging Up the R56 ;)

niknax
4th January 2008, 12:40 AM
My opinion on the R56;
Love the thing to bits, best car i've ever bought, havin a flippin ball with it.
Love it Love it Love it :D ;)

yep me also......didnt have one bit of bother with mine....and i still miss it to bits everyday :( just think yourselfs lucky you all still have one .....so enjoy :p