PDA

View Full Version : Seats

Sheilz
17th December 2007, 01:56 AM
I'd really appreciate any tips on how to keep the seats from turning grey and to get rid of the water marks once and for all. The fabric goes back to black when they're newly wiped but doesnt take any length of time for old water marks to show up and for new ones to be added when the door's open when its raining. This drives me nuts. Makes the interior look so scruffy. I've used the stuff from BMW and AutoGlym upholstery cleaner but nothing lasts beyond a couple of weeks, sometimes just days. Thought of using some kind of fabric dye but not sure if this would work.

Wul
17th December 2007, 10:20 AM
Hey Sheilz - I've always used the MINI fabric cleaner to good effect, but then it's always been the dark grey cloth on the part leather seats.

I would say though to avoid the dye route unless you want to ruin your clothes!

Try posting on one of the detailing websites to see if anyone can help.

Sheilz
18th December 2007, 02:12 AM
Thanks. Will have a look to see if anyone else has as much bother with this as i do. :D

ianking
18th December 2007, 09:43 AM
I use Autosmart BioBrisk fabric cleaner. I do however use it via an extraction machine but it works well by hand as well. You cant get it in the shops has to be via an Autosmart rep.
If you are going to Crombers run I can bring you some or if someone is going that you will be seeing after I can pass it to them.

Sheilz
29th December 2007, 10:58 PM
Sorry, just read your reply. I'm not going on the run but I will try and get some of this stuff :)

V12MSM
4th January 2008, 03:16 AM
I'd really appreciate any tips on how to keep the seats from turning grey and to get rid of the water marks once and for all. The fabric goes back to black when they're newly wiped but doesnt take any length of time for old water marks to show up and for new ones to be added when the door's open when its raining. This drives me nuts. Makes the interior look so scruffy. I've used the stuff from BMW and AutoGlym upholstery cleaner but nothing lasts beyond a couple of weeks, sometimes just days. Thought of using some kind of fabric dye but not sure if this would work.

Basically you need to have the seats extracted, so that the water is taken out of them, they preventing more staining.

I use Autosmart Bio Brisk by hand, mist onto the fabric and scrub. I then extract the fluid.

It is the same problem I have with the grey carpets in my car really. I do a lot of hill walking, cycling etc, so mud kicks about...I extract the dirt, but then I put some back in. Just go in circles.

If you need any help, let me know.

Thanks,
Mark

s12cot
4th January 2008, 01:56 PM
I understand what you mean by extract the water, but how are you doing this fully?

V12MSM
4th January 2008, 02:01 PM
Well, take a mat for example.

Take it out the car and hoover it.
Spray the whole mat with a shampoo/cleaner.
A light spray of water over the mat.
Scrub with a suitable brush.
High pressure wash the mat (only as it will be a lot dirtier than a seat).
Extract the water with a Vax Wet Vacuum Cleaner.
Does that clear things up for you? :)

s12cot
4th January 2008, 02:17 PM
Yes, thats what I was getting at, how you are extracting the liquid fully...

V12MSM
4th January 2008, 02:32 PM
The wet vacuum cleaner sucks it all out, just leaving it slightly damp.

Scottie
4th January 2008, 03:22 PM
what if you don't have a wet vacuum cleaner ?

V12MSM
4th January 2008, 03:24 PM
On mats you can use a stiff ruler to pull water out and leave them inside to dry.

On seats, headling, you just have to lightly mist the cleaner, scrub then rub with a clean towel to dry.

That is the best you can do that way.

Sheilz
4th January 2008, 11:25 PM
Basically you need to have the seats extracted, so that the water is taken out of them, they preventing more staining.

I use Autosmart Bio Brisk by hand, mist onto the fabric and scrub. I then extract the fluid.

It is the same problem I have with the grey carpets in my car really. I do a lot of hill walking, cycling etc, so mud kicks about...I extract the dirt, but then I put some back in. Just go in circles.

If you need any help, let me know.

Thanks,
Mark

How often do you need to do this to your seats? Its kind of what I do only a different cleaner. Wonder if 2001 Troubleshooter is any good for the car? It works wonders on carpets and the sofa