PDA

View Full Version : How many times has yours been for warranty work?

jward
24th February 2004, 11:21 PM
Hi guys....

My mini one was in a couple of months ago for a new Airbag wiring loom after the sixth or seventh airbag reset. Well it happened again yesterday on the way home. I wasnt impressed. Decided to book it in today for that and the drivers door hinge which is loose and making a horrible clicking noise on opening. I decided to be cheeky and ask the helpful service department guy to search the computer to see how many times my car had been in since I purchased it..

there was a long pause.....

Sir that would be 27 times!

He quickly added, but that would include servicing also... so what, a car with 25,500 miles... 3 services i would have thought. Thats still twenty four times!

Can anyone beat that?

Jules:disapprove:

Monsta Mo Mini
24th February 2004, 11:38 PM
Wul?

KenL
24th February 2004, 11:46 PM
I would ask Wul about seeking compensation or rejection - that it ridiculous.

Mine has been in 6 times, one for service.

Wul
25th February 2004, 12:48 AM
Well mines was in a grand total of 14 times including servicing as these usually coincided with faults occurring!

Worst items i had were 3 steering columns; 2 speedo clusters; 2 sets of replacement seats; 2 sets of replacement airbag cables; new power steering pump. Other faults were squint steering wheel times 3; new door seals; new mirror fixings; new boot lock - i have a useful excel spreadsheet listing every trip, fault, duration of visit and number of times this fault has occurred! I wrote/faxed/emailed my dealer and bmw cust services enclosing the list, pictures etc and after a few reminder letters emails my dealer was finally instructed by cust services to appease me.

So got an excellent trade in value for my 02 coop with 26k on it and am expecting my new S in March!

If you want me to email you the letters/ list etc i sent then leave me your email address - the only way to get any result is to keep bombarding them i'm afraid - also the thought of my fault ridden car approaching the end of the warranty period gave me shivers!

Good Luck!

jward
25th February 2004, 01:30 AM
Hi Wul, thanks again for the chrome mirror covers.... they look well on the fiancee's ONE! I got thinking after our chat about warranty etc.... i dont wont a bug ridden car after it expires! The car is being evaluated by the dealer on Tuesday whilst its being repaired to give me an idea of trade in value or for them to buy it back.

My main problem at the moment is that the dealer I bought it from was in belfast.. i dont want to have to travel back to return it :(

I havent kept a log of all the problems, just mental notes.. which arent much use now!

Mine has been in for the wiring loom, squeaky seats (twice), replacement power steering pump, window seals (twice), replacment clutch(!) rattling dashboard(twice),rattling door panels, rear panels, faulty rear seat hinge (replaced) Steering column (followed by a wonky steering wheel), replacement rear screen wiper motor...

Maybe more... cant be sure

We`ll see how it goes next week...

What should I get for Indy Blue ONE Nov 2001, white roof, 15'' alloys, Manual AC, Full chrome pack, salt pack....

Wul
25th February 2004, 02:14 AM
Hey Jules - didn't realise that was you! Glad the mirror covers look good - pretty nerve wracking to fit but worth it!

Have you tried Mini Cherished? a 51 ONE with salt pack, 30k miles, indi blue is listed for £9995 - so less a £1k for dealer margin means you could be looking at about £8-8.5k trade in value.

macblob
25th February 2004, 04:47 AM
Ive lost count overall of my trips for warranty work, guess I should have taken more notes at the time, You live and learn i suppose
List includes, Driver seat stripped and rebuilt 3 times incl new base, various speaks and rattles, new abs pump and master clyinder, replacement mirror housing as the base was cracked near the bolt.

Im sure there has been more but I try and forget :D

Scares me to think about owning the car out of warranty though.

Any idea how much I might expect as a trade in on a 51 MINI cooper , chilli pack, single cd player?
Probably for another cooper.

KenL
25th February 2004, 06:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Any idea how much I might expect as a trade in on a 51 MINI cooper , chilli pack, single cd player?
Probably for another cooper.

How much was it new and how many miles has it got on it?

If you are going for it best to get as much knowledge and speak to as many dealers as possible. I intend to take a couple of days off my work and visit every dealer in central Scotland when I get round to changing. The one who offers the best deal will get the sale.

If you go to www.glasse.co.uk you can get a personalised valuation for your car for £2.95. Make sure you take that with you to show to the dealers as they are bound to offer you less to start off. Never take their first offer as your car is desirable to them and they "should" bend a bit.

macblob
25th February 2004, 07:33 AM
Sorry forgot to add that info, was £13000 new, and now has 29000 on the clock:D

KenL
25th February 2004, 05:29 PM
Wild guess but I think you'd probably get ~£10k as a trade in if you shop around.

Try the www.glass.co.uk thingy and see what it gives you.

Wul
25th February 2004, 06:11 PM
Macblob - Eastern Quoted me £10,500 over the phone for trading in my 02 Coop Chilli(+A/C) with 25,000 on it - cost £13,500 new.

As ken says get round the dealers and get haggling!

macblob
25th February 2004, 07:03 PM
Well glad to hear you guys are thinking about the same as me , if i was to trade in id want at least 10 grand, thanks for the info guys

euan
25th February 2004, 07:06 PM
I still struggle to grasp that these cars hold the value as well as they do.

My old Cooper was in an obscene amount. Seats 3 times, rattles, boot lid, the vandelism bit, recalls, speaker replaced, whole load of stuff.

In saying that, my S has been in once, for a rattle in the boot, fixed and never been back.

Steve74
25th February 2004, 08:21 PM
2 times in a month 1/2 since I've owned it. I've given up asking for the stumble to be cured.

jward
2nd March 2004, 10:23 PM
well my mini is in today.... its getting two new tyres too (they were on the legal limit!!) they were able to match a local garage... yay!

Hopefully they will cure the airbag warning light problem and sort out the door hinge. I presume that this is all warranty work - yet they still asked my fiancee how I was going to pay for any work tht was going to be done.. why? I do find this very worrying!

I`m also awaiting their appraisal of the car to see how much its worth as a trade in....

I`ll keep u all posted

Jules

Wul
2nd March 2004, 10:45 PM
Jules - the payment was surely for the two tyres no?

fingers crossed on the trade-in value!