PDA

View Full Version : To wax, or to polish, what's the difference?

AndyP & Lenore
14th December 2007, 09:02 PM
OK. Simpleton town here....

As most of you know we tend to stick to JewelUltra Diamondbrite for out paint protection and detailing. However, with our new purchase (see this thread) (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13314), we are looking for some advice for the wash/wax/polishing process.

What process and products do you use?

A.:D

vintageb3
14th December 2007, 09:08 PM
OK. Simpleton twon here....

As most of you know we tend to stick to JewelUltra Diamondbrite for out paint protection and detailing. However, with our new purchase (see this thread) (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13314), we are looking for some advice for the wash/wax/polishing process.

Them all....;)

i would tell...but you won't listen to me...or anyone else:eek: :D

mark

Scottie
14th December 2007, 09:24 PM
Ian King is into detailing world and polishing big time. I think he either has a PC or maybe even a rotary polisher and I am sure Vintage B3 has one also didn't he do a amazing job on his transit.

I would advise with a 2 year old car that you get whoever to do a job on your car and get all the paint work correction done that is required.

This then gives you a very nice surface to try the many products available.

For me I like the Klasse AIO and for wax I think you will go a long way to beat
CGuys 50/50 limited edition.

although we have got the DoDo Juice to try on the x'er

vintageb3
14th December 2007, 09:52 PM
Fi is right...get the paintwork corrected (if any defects) and machine polished if necessary. Then you start with a clean slate.

Bottom line from paint correction to washing a car: Use the least invasive method at your disposal to correct the problem in front of you.

I had my car rotary polished when I got it...and have PC'd the bonnet only. I plan to do the whole car eventually.

Its quite interesting and rewarding working on the paintwork of your car.

Do you know if the car has a clear coat?...if it doesn't...it could be a breeze to repair stone chips. Its a bit tougher with clear coat...its more than just an extra step.

I'm not going to tell you how on here....I can't be bothered typing tonight:eek: We will talk at some point....

mark

JCWmini
15th December 2007, 10:00 AM
I have used zymol products on my cars/bikes for about 10 years now and am very satisfied with the results. Unfortunatly as i have less and less time due to family etc washing and waxing takes a back seat.

Zymol has a paint restorer produce called HD Cleanse which removes most of the surface imperfections that accumulate on paintwork over time.

It usually takes about 8 hours for me to wash, cleanse and wax and detail a car, its by no means a professional valet but its good enough for me.

Only do/ that twice a year, April/Sept reast of the time its just wash and occasionally wax one panel a time.

ianking
15th December 2007, 11:11 AM
Like others have said you need to get the paint tip top before you bother with expensive waxes.

Cars should only need polished about every 6 months but you can wax until your heart is content.

For correction work I use Menzerna but I am about to start using 3M products as they give amazing results.

My wax of choice at the moment is Zymol but it is very very very pricey but it leaves an amazing finish.

Give me a call if you want me to do your car or if you want any more info.
Its a kind of hobby of mine that now also helps fund a classic mini as I am getting alot of jobs to do for folk.

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2007, 11:23 AM
Cheers Ian.:D

I was speaking to VintageB3 last night. He recommends a PC, but I think I'm gonna tackle this one by hand for now. If we were doing all three cars with polishing and waxing, I'd maybe think about one, but for now, I'm gonna stick to hand.;)

Also gonna stick to me and myself doing it - thanks for the offer of your professional services - that's one of the reasons we bought the car; a labour of love.:D

The plan for just now (during the crappy winter weather) is to stick a decent wax on it. The paintwork quality is actually very good. There's a fair few very light swirls (as you would expect on a red car) but hardly any chips. No dings at all.:cool: :cool:

In early spring I plan to:

Clay Bar all the crap off the car.
Polish to get even more crap off the car and remove any oxidised paintwork.
Seal the paintwork.
Wax away to may hearts content.

Can you tell I don;t have a ******* clue what I'm talking about and I got this form others? LOL:D

Anyway... that's the plan. I may have missed out some stages. Going to be doing more research from now to then, so should be better informed by the time I get down to doing it.;)

A.

ianking
15th December 2007, 11:24 AM
I will sort out a list of things you need and will give you the gen the next time I see you.

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2007, 11:26 AM
I will sort out a list of things you need and will give you the gen the next time I see you.

Cool. Cheers.;)

vintageb3
15th December 2007, 11:51 AM
Remember Andy...you can't remove oxidized paint from a car that has clear coat. You can remove oxidation from the clearcoat though.

My black car has clear coat...but i wonder if the red does...Ian may know as he had 2 red cars. I would hope that the red doesn't have clear....so you could in fact deal with the paint fading. But maybe the red is clearcoated...and that's enough to deal with the UV from the sun.:confused:

If it doesn't have clearcoat...it would be a breeze removing stone chips and even deep scratches by wetsanding and using a PC.

I use Menzerna at present...and i can assure you that the clearcoat is tuff on the Mini's!

3M stuff is on par with Menzerna I've been told by a pro.

This pro told me it wasn't worth going over to 3M until the Menzerna was finished. (just trying to save you pennies Ian)

I just removed all the stone chips from my bonnet. I used wetsanding in this process using 2000 grade wet and dry paper....then PC'd the sanding marks out. Plenty of clearcoat left.

You may think that wetsanding is a fierce attack on the paintwork but it can be less invasive than a cutting pad and cutting compound..and as always...choose the least invasive method FIRST...if that doesn't work...try that method again BEFORE stepping up a level.

After polishing...I applied glaze before sealing the paint with a Meguairs polymer sealant. I think the glaze makes a great difference. I'm going to stick another coat of sealant on today. I'm not sure about using pure carnuba anymore....I may stick to a polymer.

The Zymol Ian?....Is it polymer or carnuba?

mark

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2007, 12:14 PM
Mark, I've just been texting with Ian....

The red does have a clear coat. But TBH, I really can't see any fading. I really think this car has been looked after. Whether it's been garaged or covered, or what, I don't know. But I don't see any fading. But that may just be my untrained eye.

The polishing will take out the swirls though right? Even if won't touch any fading that I can't see.

A.;)

vintageb3
15th December 2007, 12:30 PM
Red is bad for fading...so the clear coat must stop or reduce this fading. Ian?

Polishing will remove the swirls and scratches...but to do that by hand would be like sweeping out the cinema with a toothbrush....you would get it done...but it would take ages....and wouldn't be as well done as using a sweeping brush & vacuum.

Power tools do have benefits over hand tools...not just energy saving but the make sure that an even result is achieved.

If you don't plan on buying a PC...I would get someone to do it for you (if its even required)...then take on the job waxing by hand:eek:

I still wished i had bought that Boxster S I went to look at....but only to take it home and sort out the paintwork...then punt it on...:D

mark

vintageb3
15th December 2007, 12:37 PM
Also...

As Ian says...polishing is only required once or maybe twice a year.

If he car is two years old...and hasn't been polished since new...there's a good chance...its due a polish. Well...unless the guy had a PC or did work on the paintwork for the last two years washing it correctly and keeping it well waxed etc.

You have only just bought the car...you need time to see it in different light...there's no rush to get into this. Use the winter to research the method...choose a method and start enjoying the process.

Although...after using a PC....I wouldn't even bother hand polishing anymore. You don't get the same level of WOW factor.

mark

duncan
15th December 2007, 01:11 PM

Just whatever the guy at the hand car wash uses.
So much lazier, i mean, easier.

Scottie
15th December 2007, 01:42 PM
Cheers Ian.:D

I was speaking to VintageB3 last night. He recommends a PC, but I think I'm gonna tackle this one by hand for now. If we were doing all three cars with polishing and waxing, I'd maybe think about one, but for now, I'm gonna stick to hand.;)

Also gonna stick to me and myself doing it - thanks for the offer of your professional services - that's one of the reasons we bought the car; a labour of love.:D

The plan for just now (during the crappy winter weather) is to stick a decent wax on it. The paintwork quality is actually very good. There's a fair few very light swirls (as you would expect on a red car) but hardly any chips. No dings at all.:cool: :cool:

In early spring I plan to:

Clay Bar all the crap off the car.
Polish to get even more crap off the car and remove any oxidised paintwork.
Seal the paintwork.
Wax away to may hearts content.

Can you tell I don;t have a ******* clue what I'm talking about and I got this form others? LOL:D

Anyway... that's the plan. I may have missed out some stages. Going to be doing more research from now to then, so should be better informed by the time I get down to doing it.;)

A.

Your car to have paint work looking top dollar then you should get someone who knows how to use a rotary or a PC to do the first stage for you.

What you describe above will certainly protect what your car paint work is like at the moment. But no hand work will improve to finish unless like vintageb3 said and you wet sand. I myslef wet sanded the rear or my E46 just at certain bits that really needed some work. It was OMG what am I doing took 4 days from start to finish to get it just right and I am talking just doing a small area.

On what product best to use honestly you can go on to the detailing forums and read many many posts on what product people think is best. It is all down to personal choice. I have a couple tins of the Zymol Concours Glaze I could sell one to you for h'mm £120.??

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2007, 02:37 PM
Your car to have paint work looking top dollar then you should get someone who knows how to use a rotary or a PC to do the first stage for you.

What you describe above will certainly protect what your car paint work is like at the moment. But no hand work will improve to finish unless like vintageb3 said and you wet sand. I myslef wet sanded the rear or my E46 just at certain bits that really needed some work. It was OMG what am I doing took 4 days from start to finish to get it just right and I am talking just doing a small area.

On what product best to use honestly you can go on to the detailing forums and read many many posts on what product people think is best. It is all down to personal choice.

Cheers Fi. I'm looking forward to this. Gonna take my time and get the paintwork really seen to in the spring. Whether that is me doing it or I buy a Porter Cable or I punt it off to a pro to do the PC'ing I don't know yet.

I have a couple tins of the Zymol Concours Glaze I could sell one to you for h'mm £120.??

Cough, splutter, choke......:eek: :eek: :eek: FOR A TIN 'O WAX????:eek: WTF???:eek:

Diamondbrite anyone?:D Just kiddin.:D

JCWmini
15th December 2007, 04:05 PM
The Zymol Ian?....Is it polymer or carnuba?

mark

Zymol is a carnuba product.

ianking
15th December 2007, 04:46 PM
Yes Zymol is Carnuba and a very high content at that.

Wet sanding is good at removing swirls etc, always best to practice on a scrap panel before doing a car though if you have never done it before.

Yes the mini red has a clear coat so it wont fade as easy. Like Mark was saying you are polishing the swirls out of the clear coat not the paint.
Old school red vauzhalls and volvos are bad for going pink, that is because they had no clear coat.

Like others have said you will never get swirls out by hand, even if you has arms like popeye. The compounds need the heat generated by the machine to break them down and they dont work properly until they are passing about 3000 rpm. Infact attempting by hand may even add swirls to the car.

In the mean time you could mask the swirls using a polymer filler type of polish such as Megs NXT. It contains polymers that fill the scratches and swirls. Only lasts about a month though.

Andy as you know I had a look at your car this afternoon when I was in Gala. It appears as though your car has been well looked after. I didnt have my brinkman torch with me to inspect the paint fully but it wasnt bad at all for 2 years old. There were some swirls there but it looks as though the previous owner has been a 2 bucket person.

Like I said I can do it all bling for you if you want, you could even be my assistant so that you see how its done or if you decide to purchase a machine and products I will be happy to advize and hold your hand while you use it for the first time. :D no smutty comments please Mark.

Scottie
15th December 2007, 05:57 PM
Cheers Fi. I'm looking forward to this. Gonna take my time and get the paintwork really seen to in the spring. Whether that is me doing it or I buy a Porter Cable or I punt it off to a pro to do the PC'ing I don't know yet.

Cough, splutter, choke......:eek: :eek: :eek: FOR A TIN 'O WAX????:eek: WTF???:eek:

Diamondbrite anyone?:D Just kiddin.:D

so is that a yes you want to buy the polish.??;)

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2007, 06:39 PM
so is that a yes you want to buy the polish.??;)

Actually it was a thank-you-but-no-thank-you.:o

I think I'll stick to something mid-priced.;)

Scottie
15th December 2007, 07:12 PM
Actually it was a thank-you-but-no-thank-you.:o

I think I'll stick to something mid-priced.;)

but don't you want the best for your car. I sure Ian bought some recently.

Was giving the X'er the Zymol Titanium treatment today.

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2007, 08:00 PM
but don't you want the best for your car. I sure Ian bought some recently.

Was giving the X'er the Zymol Titanium treatment today.

I do want the best. But that needs to be within reason.;)

How many treatments would I get out of the tub your selling?

KenL
15th December 2007, 08:48 PM
I do think wet sanding or even using a circular polisher are OTT for a car in good condition. I am no expert but am happy with the results I have on my red MINI.

If I were you, I would wash with Fairy Liquid to strip the old wax. Rinse and clay bar. Use a paint cleaner/sealant (e.g. Klasse AIO) or if you are able to wax often enough, just wax it.

I like P21S, but it does not lasy very long so now use Collinit 476S. Really easy to use, finish is great and durability seems very good.

Scottie
15th December 2007, 08:54 PM
I do want the best. But that needs to be within reason.;)

How many treatments would I get out of the tub your selling?

Phew you get alot alot of treatments about 50 to 60 applications.

JCWmini
15th December 2007, 09:34 PM
Only problem with Zymol it has to be applied in a warm environment with some heat in the bodywork. Can only get the right conditions inside this time of year.

Scottie
15th December 2007, 11:11 PM
Only problem with Zymol it has to be applied in a warm environment with some heat in the bodywork. Can only get the right conditions inside this time of year.

well the guys @ polished bliss who know more about detailing than god knows what - they were applying Zymol in 6C and they said it cured fine within 5 mins and they didn't have the garage heaters on and the doors were open.

JCWmini
15th December 2007, 11:43 PM
well the guys @ polished bliss who know more about detailing than god knows what - they were applying Zymol in 6C and they said it cured fine within 5 mins and they didn't have the garage heaters on and the doors were open.

Should i send them a badge?

Scottie
15th December 2007, 11:56 PM
Should i send them a badge?

Not sure! Should you.?

vintageb3
16th December 2007, 12:00 AM
and hold your hand while you use it for the first time. :D no smutty comments please Mark.

:eek: I totally and utterly resemble (spelling?) that remark!!!

Actually would have missed that one;)...but you do know me so well:rolleyes: :D

mark

vintageb3
16th December 2007, 12:19 AM
I do think wet sanding or even using a circular polisher are OTT for a car in good condition.

I don't think anyone on this thread is actually suggesting wet sanding, rotary or DA polishing good paintwork....well I certainly don't recommend that.

But if you have swirls...and they annoy you...those guys that have PC'd their cars seem to be happier afterwards.

Ian has been to Andy's car and I'm sure will have given Andy some good advice.

I've seen cars pre delivery that need paintwork corrected. I know that Mr Davies asked for both his 56's to be delivered without the wotsit cleaning work done to it...so that he could ensure that a dealers dirty sponge didn't touch the paintwork.

If you have ever used a PC....you will know how slow it is to correct paintwork defects...this in essence makes it ideal for the job. You would have to have big feet and red nose to damage the paint on your car with a PC.

A rotary polisher can damage paint in seconds.

As Ian suggests....heat is required to break down the grit in the polish. This diminishing grit polish is another reason why you get such a good job. Starts "abrasive"...and breaks down to a fine polish.

Anyway...I checked my bonnet again today...I've picked up more stone chips on the bonnet...and on my aero front bumper:(

But at least I will have fun sorting them in the spring:)

There's a couple of bits on my car that I want to work on....so the spring will be time enough to look at them.

Over the winter....I'm just happy to wash.

mark

Crombers
16th December 2007, 12:33 AM
I'm still happy with the Fairy Liquid method ;) :D :cool: :cool:

Scottie
16th December 2007, 12:38 AM
I'm still happy with the Fairy Liquid method ;) :D :cool: :cool:

don't forget the rubber gloves.;) Marigolds in Pink XL.;)

Gismo
16th December 2007, 04:40 AM
Sheesh, i'm so gald i just let mother nature run it's course :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
16th December 2007, 10:04 AM
Sheesh, i'm so gald i just let mother nature run it's course :rolleyes:

Aye, but when mother nature drops from a flying bird, splats on your bodywork and runs down your bonnet, you want something there to protect it...:D

Or do you really just not give a sh** about the look of your car?:eek:

Gismo
16th December 2007, 10:24 AM
Aye, but when mother nature drops from a flying bird, splats on your bodywork and runs down your bonnet, you want something there to protect it...:D

Or do you really just not give a sh** about the look of your car?:eek:

A.:DMore or less, if that happens i get out a wet sponge and just wash it off so that the acid doesn't burn through the paint.
This leaves a very appealing white splodge effect ;) :rolleyes: :D
Not once has the value of any of my cars been affected when trading in ;)

vintageb3
16th December 2007, 11:30 AM
There were some swirls there but it looks as though the previous owner has been a 2 bucket person.[/I]

My Christmas prezzie from Kim arrived yesterday...two gritgaurds with buckets.

They are on offer just now...2 for £26 or so on one of the detailing websites.

I used them yesterday...and I'm not sure they do what they say on the tin.

They suggest rubbing the wool mitt on the gritgaurd...but I think that just keeps the dirt suspended in the water for too long.

Think I will go back to just cleaning the mitt in the water at the top of the bucket.

Anyone else use gritgaurds?...How do you use them?

mark

The Dogfather
16th December 2007, 12:32 PM
I bought the special mits from costco, they're water proof inside. One side is white the other is grey, the grey is meant for the wheels whilst white is for the bodywork. Its a bit like those cloths with ar$e and face on them.

I clean 1 panel at a time, once the panel is done I use the hose to clean any dirt out of the mit and because it's white you can see it come clean. I then put back into the bucket to get some wash solution and move on to the next panel. A superior method to the two bucket one IMHO

AndyP & Lenore
16th December 2007, 03:55 PM
I bought the special mits from costco, they're water proof inside. One side is white the other is grey, the grey is meant for the wheels whilst white is for the bodywork. Its a bit like those cloths with ar$e and face on them.

I clean 1 panel at a time, once the panel is done I use the hose to clean any dirt out of the mit and because it's white you can see it come clean. I then put back into the bucket to get some wash solution and move on to the next panel. A superior method to the two bucket one IMHO

We use those too Paul. Really good wash mits. TBH, we only tend to get 3 or 4 washes out of them before they start to fall apart, but at £6 for 5 you can't really argue with that.

We do use the two bucket method, but we don't use grit guards. We do virtually the same as Paul, washing the dirt/grit off the mit each time the mit is placed back into the clear water bucket. I also "scrape" any excess dirt off the mit in the clear water bucket on the edge of the bucket.

Wul
17th December 2007, 10:37 AM
I bought the two pack of the THESE (http://www.sheepskinshop.co.uk/productlisting.aspx?cid=42&pid=22&c=Wash%20and%20Polish%20Mitts) 2 years ago and the first one is still going strong - a real bargain.

And you all know how often I wash my car! ;)

The Dogfather
17th December 2007, 11:11 AM
We use those too Paul. Really good wash mits. TBH, we only tend to get 3 or 4 washes out of them before they start to fall apart, but at £6 for 5 you can't really argue with that.

We do use the two bucket method, but we don't use grit guards. We do virtually the same as Paul, washing the dirt/grit off the mit each time the mit is placed back into the clear water bucket. I also "scrape" any excess dirt off the mit in the clear water bucket on the edge of the bucket.

Andy, you must be heavy handed. All of mine are like new, but they do go through the washing machine afterwards.

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2007, 08:40 PM
Andy, you must be heavy handed. All of mine are like new, but they do go through the washing machine afterwards.

Maybe I am heavy handed then. 'Cos we definitely only get 3 or 4 washes out of them before the black elasticated wrist tears off the mit. Once that happens, they just fall off when you put it in water. We wash them after each time too.

vintageb3
17th December 2007, 09:47 PM
Did have another thought today about yer wax on wax off scenario...

Why not get the car PC'd (if necessary)...then get the diamondbrite done that you are happy with?

That way you can just go play with the car;)

mark

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2007, 11:17 PM
Did have another thought today about yer wax on wax off scenario...

Why not get the car PC'd (if necessary)...then get the diamondbrite done that you are happy with?

That way you can just go play with the car;)

mark

Mark-san, you're starting to sound a lot like Miyagi.

Naw, naw, naw, naw, naw..... No diamondbrite for this one. Doing this one the proper way, breaking sweat'n'all.;)

ianking
17th December 2007, 11:20 PM
No diamondbrite for this one. Doing this one the proper way, breaking sweat'n'all.;)

Good man. :D
You will end up getting a much better finish that you will want to strip the diamond stuff off the other car and do it properly as well.

The Dogfather
17th December 2007, 11:21 PM
breaking sweat'n'all.;)

First time for everything :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

AndyP & Lenore
18th December 2007, 09:50 AM
Good man. :D
You will end up getting a much better finish that you will want to strip the diamond stuff off the other car and do it properly as well.

Not a chance.;)

vintageb3
18th December 2007, 09:49 PM
Mark-san, you're starting to sound a lot like Miyagi.

Naw, naw, naw, naw, naw..... No diamondbrite for this one. Doing this one the proper way, breaking sweat'n'all.;)

well...I thought you may get the movie quote;)

mark

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 06:21 PM
(From the Black Wow Thread)

I have used Petes53 before and it seemed to leave a nice finish.
I found it a bit crumbly when trying to remove it from the tub though.

You could buy Zymol Carbon for £46 but you would still need Zymol HD Cleanse to put on as a pre wax cleanser before the 1st application and it is about £39.

If you dont want to go the Zymol route I have heard good reports about DoDo Juice althogh I have never actually used it.

Ian, I think Zymol just seems too expensive for my first outing with waxing.

Fiona, (if you're around), did Chemical Guys 50/50 seem crub,y to you? Not sure I'm keen on "crumbly" at the price.

Craig
10th January 2008, 06:32 PM
Andy,

try Race Glaze Crem Perfection - it's a Natural Carnuba Wax that doesn't leave any white residue. :cool: It's great and on my shopping list.

:D

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 06:45 PM
Andy,

try Race Glaze Crem Perfection - it's a Natural Carnuba Wax that doesn't leave any white residue. :cool: It's great and on my shopping list.

:D

Craig, that's a wax - polish. So my limited knowledge tells me that means each time I use it, it will strip off the last coat I put on. So there's no point in multiple coats. Which isn't really what I'm looking for.

Remind me again, though, what is the speed detailer you and MarkyC use once you've waxed your car, each time you wash it? Turtle Wax Speed Detailer right?:confused:

Craig
10th January 2008, 06:49 PM
nope, Nanotech Speed Wax, made by Turtle Wax. :D It's not so much a speed detailer, it's just and easy to use wax. It is normally used for a quick wax when we don't have time to do a proper wax (like Zymol..)

Marky uses Race Glaze quite a bit (most weeks). :cool:

Scottie
10th January 2008, 06:54 PM
Ian, I think Zymol just seems too expensive for my first outing with waxing.

Fiona, (if you're around), did Chemical Guys 50/50 seem crub,y to you? Not sure I'm keen on "crumbly" at the price.

Now We are no experts in this field.

As we all know, it's all to do with preparation, so what ever products you think are best for that.

I've used a fair few Waxes, I read about them and think ok will give that one a go.

I know fine well there is many waxes out there and everyone has their fav ones and reason as to why.

50/50 for me I have got to say

an easier wax to apply and buff that leaves IMO very good results you will find hard to beat and it does not crumble.

On the Zymol front I have got to say that not one of the Zymol Waxes has crumbled.

Allan has melted a few tubs of our Zymol waxes (that he has ran over with the car) and then pours it in to a Load and Lock sealed tub and they are kept in the fridge.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: along with all the other waxes that we favour.:o :o

Scottie
10th January 2008, 06:59 PM
p.s. If your looking for a wax that you can apply to your wet motor after you have washed it and before you dry it. That helps to keep the car looking good between polishing or indeed waxing.

Then try Duragloss Aquawax.:cool: It can be hard to find the time to wax the car as often as you would like and this is a very good quick product to help keep that new waxed look.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 07:01 PM
nope, Nanotech Speed Wax, made by Turtle Wax. :D It's not so much a speed detailer, it's just and easy to use wax. It is normally used for a quick wax when we don't have time to do a proper wax (like Zymol..)

Marky uses Race Glaze quite a bit (most weeks). :cool:

K. Can anyone else confirm if Race Glaze is a wax/polisher which removes the last coat of Race Glaze as you put the next coat on.

Not arguing with Mr C's paint quality, super shiny and smooth, that's for sure.:cool:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 07:03 PM
p.s. If your looking for a wax that you can apply to your wet motor after you have washed it and before you dry it. That helps to keep the car looking good between polishing or indeed waxing.

Then try Duragloss Aquawax.:cool: It can be hard to find the time to wax the car as often as you would like and this is a very good quick product to help keep that new waxed look.

Presumably, this does the same as Craig suggested Nanotech Speed Wax from Turtle Wax, as he uses that to wax the car as the car is wet, just after washing.

Was planning on using something like that after giving the car a wax with a good quality (sensibly priced) wax.

Scottie
10th January 2008, 07:04 PM
I've got some Race Glaze that I can give you at the next MiniMeet Andy. No point in spending money if I have one going spare.;)

Scottie
10th January 2008, 07:05 PM
Presumably, this does the same as Craig suggested Nanotech Speed Wax from Turtle Wax, as he uses that to wax the car as the car is wet, just after washing.

Was planning on using something like that after giving the car a wax with a good quality (sensibly priced) wax.

not sure if Nanotech is the same as Wax it Wet.

Meguairs NXT speed wax you can use on a wet car going by the instructions on the Meguairs website.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 07:06 PM
I've got some Race Glaze that I can give you at the next MiniMeet Andy. No point in spending money if I have one going spare.;)

Very kind of you Fi. But I won't avail you of it, if I'm not gonna use it. And if it is one of those waxes that waxes and polishes the last coat of wax off at the same time, I probably wont use it. However, if it is a wax that stays on each time you use it, to "layer up", I may well use it.:confused:

A.

Scottie
10th January 2008, 07:08 PM
Very kind of you Fi. But I won't avail you of it, if I'm not gonna use it. And if it is one of those waxes that waxes and polishes the last coat of wax off at the same time, I probably wont use it. However, if it is a wax that stays on each time you use it, to "layer up", I may well use it.:confused:

A.

Well if you have ever felt Markyc's.................Car that is;) I think it Layers.:cool:

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2008, 07:09 PM
Well if you have ever felt Markyc's.................Car that is;) I think it Layers.:cool:

I would agree Fi. But the Race Glaze web site sort of contradicts that.:confused:

A.

ianking
10th January 2008, 07:21 PM
I personally dont like using the turtle wax stuff as a detailer type of product. I dont think it lubricates enough and for me personally I think it might upset my expensive Zymol wax.
As a detailing spray to remove dust, finger prints, drying aid I use Meguiars last touch. I buy it from 'Polished Bliss'. Im sure the last time I paid about £17 for 3.5L and it is diluted 50:50, thus giving 7L. Should last for ages. I also use it as a lubricant for when I am using my rotary.

I would recommend this product. I think VintageB3 uses it as well and also commented that it is good.

Andy check out www.polishedbliss.co.uk (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk)

If you are unsure about anything the folks there give excellent advice. Unfortunately they have just handed in their Zymol licence so you wont get Zymol from them anymore.

Fi, never had Zymol crumble on me, it was Petes53 that I had do that.

Craig
10th January 2008, 08:05 PM
fi, if your getting rid of race glaze, I was getting some soon, so you could pass it my way.. :)

Andy, you are maybe getting a wee bit confused.

I use Turtle Wax "Wax it Wet" to give the car a quick coat of wax. This is applied panel by panel when the car is wet and toweled or chamoised off.

I also use Nanotech Speed Wax for a quick wax, but the car has to be dry (or I prefer it to be, but Marky has applied this to the car wet and he says it worked fine).

as for the race glaze being a polisher wax, not sure, but Marky swears by it. He doesn't come on here anymore as he has a new hobby...:eek: :rolleyes: :)

Scottie
10th January 2008, 08:12 PM
Craig: Race Glaze will be yours soon. well the next Mini Meet.:D

AndyP & Lenore
11th January 2008, 01:34 AM
OK. About to purchase the following:

I know there will be split opinion on some of these products, and I understand one person may like one product but another finds another product works best for them, but I could keep looking into this for weeks and everyone still wouldn't agree with my choices.

What I really want is for someone to stop me in my tracks if I am ordering one product to use which is absolutely not compatible with another.

Chemical Guys "Maxi Suds II Shampoo" - £5.95 from CG
Chemical Guys "Pure Finishing Hand Glaze 16oz" - £9.95 from CG
Chemical Guys "The Gripper Applicator System" - £4.95 from CG
Chemical Guys "50/50 Connoisseur Paste Wax LTD edition" - £24.95 from CG
Chemical Guys "Super Soft Microfiber Applicator Pads 2PK" - £3.99 from Auto Perfection
50mm Wide 3M Masking tape - £3.45 from Auto Perfection.
Nanotech Speed Wax for keeping the wax finish topped-up. - Not a clue, need to find it.

The plan is to:

Shampoo the car.
Microfiber Dry the Car.
Apply a coat of Hand Glaze.
Apply a coat of 50/50.
Repeat coat of 50/50.

Keep topped up with the Turtle Wax Nanotech.

Lots of Chemical Guys products there, and they may not be the best, but they are sensibly priced and folk seem to speak highly of them, and I have to start somewhere.

Let me know what you think.

A.;)

vintageb3
11th January 2008, 08:48 AM
Don't think you need the glaze at this point...only need this after a polish but Ian will keep you right. Glaze feeds the paint with oils.

Also...Ian says he doesn't put anything on his wax cause it attacks the wax (i.e. removes some of it). I looked at the top up waxes or detailing sprays as protector for the wax....but he may have a point. Ian will clarify.

I still like detailing spray though...

I haven't washed the car since i used the CG stuff (just blasted the salt off with a power washer)....but it does look as though the stuff for the black bits washes off....so Black Wow may be the stuff to go with. I have not given up on the CG stuff yet...as it may be OK after a wash...or couple of coats.

I will still use peanut oil cause its cheap and does an excellent job removing impurities from the plastic.

mark

ianking
11th January 2008, 09:59 AM
I have used the maxi suds II shampoo and it is good. Works very well via a foam gun as well.
The only other product I have experience with is the 50:50 wax, My mate was using it for a while and with good results.
I would think it would be better to use a dedicated detailing spray in between waxes though after you wash as it wont interfere with your 50:50 wax. You could get Mequiars detailing spray for about £6-£7 from Car parts 4 U in Gala.

euan
11th January 2008, 10:57 AM
I'd give a shout for the Megs detailing spray between waxes - it's quick and gives great results.

john
11th January 2008, 12:24 PM
Just read the title of this thread but cant be bothered reading through it all,

The difference is just the shelf it sits on gathering dust:rolleyes:

I'm sure BS will back me up on this.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

GAJ
11th January 2008, 12:35 PM
I've not washed my car since last March!

ianking
11th January 2008, 01:00 PM
I've not washed my car since last March!

Oh my god. Please dont say things like that. It will give me sleepless nights.

I have to admit I might be really sad by saying this but I really enjoy cleaning my car. I dont have to do it every day or every other day, nothing OCD like that but usually on a Sat morning, if not every other week.

ianking
11th January 2008, 02:57 PM
Just ordered my 3M backing plate and 3M Blue waffle gloss pad for my rotary from Brown Brothers Auto suppliers at Stenhouse in Edinburgh. Will have them by tonight.
Should work a treat with the 3M Ultra Fina-It Polish.

Hopefully I will get a shot of it tomorrow on my roof as there are a couple marks on it. Damn the black paintwork.

N12 JLK
11th January 2008, 10:09 PM
I personally dont like using the turtle wax stuff as a detailer type of product. I dont think it lubricates enough and for me .

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OH er matron, dirty bugger:o

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2008, 01:43 AM
So that's the orders placed.

From polishedbliss.com:

Poorboys Professional Polish
Blackfire wet diamond ivory carnuba paste wax
Meguiars microfibre applicator pads
Meguiars quick detailer
Menzerna Gel 7.5 wheel and tyre cleaner

From carwashnwax.com:

Gripper applicator system
Checmial Guys Maxi Suds II shampoo
3M Masking tape
Wheel Shmitt (for washing my alloys)
Some empty bottles and a chemical resistant spray head.

From elitecarcare.co.uk

1 bottle of Black Wow

Lenore's not especially happy as our credit card is now £134 heavier than it was 2 hours ago. She muttered something like "WTF!?! that's almost as much as ******* diamondbrite, for ****'s sake." But I'm sure she's like the results.

Now I just need a dry day and I'll send her off in one of the Diamondbrite cars and let me get on with it.

Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to the thread, except BS and Gaj, who should be banished from ever owning cars ever again.:rolleyes: :D ;)

Special thanks to Ian King, VintageB3 and Scottiecoop for invaluable advice during this adventure.:D :cool:

john
12th January 2008, 08:15 AM
So that's the orders placed.

From polishedbliss.com:

Poorboys Professional Polish
Blackfire wet diamond ivory carnuba paste wax
Meguiars microfibre applicator pads
Meguiars quick detailer
Menzerna Gel 7.5 wheel and tyre cleaner

From carwashnwax.com:

Gripper applicator system
Checmial Guys Maxi Suds II shampoo
3M Masking tape
Wheel Shmitt (for washing my alloys)
Some empty bottles and a chemical resistant spray head.

From elitecarcare.co.uk

1 bottle of Black Wow

Lenore's not especially happy as our credit card is now £134 heavier than it was 2 hours ago. She muttered something like "WTF!?! that's almost as much as ******* diamondbrite, for ****'s sake." But I'm sure she's like the results.

Now I just need a dry day and I'll send her off in one of the Diamondbrite cars and let me get on with it.

Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to the thread, except BS and Gaj, who should be banished from ever owning cars ever again.:rolleyes: :D ;)

Special thanks to Ian King, VintageB3 and Scottiecoop for invaluable advice during this adventure.:D :cool:

I got a thanks:D woo hoo:rolleyes:

Scottie
12th January 2008, 09:04 AM
well done Andyp you got there in the end.

Now that's the outside and the tyre taken care of but

what about the inside and the windows.

Just as important.:D

Maybe you need to start another thread for those bits to keep this one on topic.;) :D

Gismo
12th January 2008, 09:31 AM
Just giving the thread some balance :rolleyes: oops, off topic, sorry, erm, nice load of gear ya bought there mate ;)

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2008, 10:56 AM
I got a thanks:D woo hoo:rolleyes:

Yer first and last, enjoy while it lasts. Actually I just forgot to lump you in with the "balancing" dirty-car-and-proud-of-it brigade.;)

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2008, 10:57 AM
Just giving the thread some balance :rolleyes: oops, off topic, sorry, erm, nice load of gear ya bought there mate ;)

Aye.;) If only I had a clue what to do with it all.:rolleyes: :D :D

vintageb3
12th January 2008, 11:09 AM
What kind of dedicated car vacuum cleaner are you buying?

Only joking Lenore:D

mark

ianking
13th January 2008, 04:47 PM
What kind of dedicated car vacuum cleaner are you buying?

Only joking Lenore:D

mark

I have a Henry
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/henry.jpg

but I think Andy might be more suited to the new Hetty machine. :D
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/hetty.jpg

ianking
17th January 2008, 01:37 PM
Andy

Have you used your Blackfire Wax yet?
I have used the other wax that they do (sunset I think) and found it to be very good. Was wondering how you got on with the new one that you got?

Craig
17th January 2008, 05:29 PM
Andy

I have used the other wax that they do (sunset I think) and found it to be very good. Was wondering how you got on with the new one that you got?

As he doesn't have a garage to put the car in to wax, I think he is waiting for better weather before he starts the detailing process... :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
17th January 2008, 09:21 PM
Andy

As he doesn't have a garage to put the car in to wax, I think he is waiting for better weather before he starts the detailing process... :cool:

Yeah, what Craig said, need some drier and a little warmer weather.:(

ianking
17th January 2008, 11:11 PM
Did you see me recommendation for a new hoover for you on the previous page. Costco sell them.

AndyP & Lenore
17th January 2008, 11:17 PM
Did you see me recommendation for a new hoover for you on the previous page. Costco sell them.

I did see that. Hettie indeed, ya cheeky bas. We use Henry's in the cinema.;)

We bought a Dyson Animal thingy when we were at MPH show. Battery powered and does a reasonable job. but to get into all the really nasty corners we use an Oreck portable thingy.

A.;)

ianking
17th January 2008, 11:19 PM
I have one of those wee Dyson recharge things that I keep down at the flat incase I need to give the car a quick sproose up during the week etc. I keep my Henry up at my parents garage where I give the car its proper clean.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd January 2008, 12:27 AM
Managed to get a couple of dry days last week and made use of a couple of the products I bought.

The Maxi Suds II is a great shampoo. It left the car looking top notch. TBH, while it was going on the car looked very dull and I was thinking "oh sh!t, what have I done?" but when it rinsed off, it looked the muts nuts.

Then onto the Blackfire Wet Diamond Ivory Carnuba Wax. Wow! This stuff is so easy to work with. Using the applicator pads from Meguires it was very easy to apply and even easier to buff off. My only other experience with wax is with Turtle Wax "High Gloss" which came in a metal tin and crumbled really badly, and turned to a terrible powder when buffing off. It got everywhere. But the Blackfire just seemed to melt away and left the car with a deep glossy shine.

The Menzerna 7.5 wheel and alloy cleaner was good too. It got a load of crap off the alloys that normal shampoo was having trouble shifting. I used it on all 3 cars, so there's only about half the bottle left. So not sure if I'm using too much or not. I think I may keep that for shifting really grimey crap off the wheels and for normal washes just use normal shampoo, or the Maxi Suds II maybe.

Didn't get a chance to polish with the Poorboys polish. Will save that for a mega detailing session in drier weather.

But I did polish our windows with Autoglym Window Polish. Fantastic stuff. Very easy to apply and easy to buff off. Only put it on the red MINI for now. Will get round to the others in good time.

But for now the red MINI is looking spectacular. Very happy bunny indeed.

A.:D :D :D

ianking
22nd January 2008, 09:36 AM
Did you use the Black Wow on the trims?

AndyP & Lenore
22nd January 2008, 11:02 AM
Did you use the Black Wow on the trims?

No. Ran out of time on the Friday and it was raining on Saturday morning down our way.:mad:

ianking
22nd January 2008, 11:25 AM
Well when it was raining you would see the Blackfire beading the rain nicely on the paintwork.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd January 2008, 11:28 AM
Well when it was raining you would see the Blackfire beading the rain nicely on the paintwork.

Oh yeah! TBH, the car was fairly beading before I treated it, when we first bought it. But now you can really see the beading.