PDA

View Full Version : E46 Music

BJN
11th December 2007, 05:20 PM
1 thing i really don't like about my E46 is the hi-fi is no where near as good as that of the Mini with the Harman Kardon system.

Anyone got any advice about upgrading the sounds in the E46, don't want a low-fi (boy racer sounds system) I want to keep the original head unit, and have the speakers as invisible as the OEM ones.

Spoke to someone in local car audio centre, who was on about Bass boxes and 800 watt amps.

Just want a decent sound like the Mini had, any advice, including estimated costs would be appreciated.

euan
11th December 2007, 06:05 PM
Cheapest option is to add a Sony Sound on Top amp if you can find one - ebay is the best bet. Think it's XL422 or something. These plug and play into the audio in the car and I've been after one for ages. Dirt cheap though, 40 quid is the going rate. There is a Blaupunkt which is also plug and play, about 100 quid though I think. Both of these add much better sound for not a lot of cash.

If you wanted to go further, Mikey has fitted all sorts behind standard panels, I think I read that he had fitted 6x9s in the rears. You can mount all the amps etc under the floor in the boot very easily as there is tons of room there even on a cab like yours.

I have seen some custom bass bins on cabrios built into the ski-hatch if you wanted to go a bit mad!

Kind of depends how far you want to go.

BJN
11th December 2007, 06:19 PM
Sounds promising, don't want to go far, just a decent sound like the Harman Kardon.

Didn't realise Mikey would work on BM's

Def a new angle

Scottie
11th December 2007, 06:37 PM
my E46 Coupe has been "mikey'd". awesome sound much better than anything
I have had in my Mini.:eek: same can be said for my E36 and I've told Mike that.;)

The coupe will not take 6x9's in the rear only 6x5 speakers so had to get a very cool thing mounted under rear parcel shelf in boot to give it some bass it sits along side my amp.

Your convert maybe different re speaker size.

I went for aftermarket head unit so that it had some decent power mind you it already came with a Alpine one fitted by previous owner but a awful bright silver colour. Other than my head unit you wouldn't know I've had anything done as I said amp and bass are hidden away.

Of course it all comes at a price. But if you are ever over Larbert way pop round I will let you have a listen.:D

euan
11th December 2007, 06:44 PM
Just checked, the Blaupunkt range is the THA pnp series.

A the pnp amp with some Infinity or Rainbow speakers are popular upgrades, mainly as Rainbow make direct replacements for the stock sizes for the E46.