PDA

View Full Version : iPOD help please...

KenL
10th December 2007, 09:46 PM
Thinking of buying one of these as a pressie (new iPOD Nano).

Does it come with software for converting audio CDs to a format suitable for the iPOD?

Can it play MP3 files or will it only play Apple specific files?

How do you download video onto it? Can I copy a DVD movie onto it with software provided?

Anything else I should know?

The Dogfather
10th December 2007, 10:01 PM
Thinking of buying one of these as a pressie (new iPOD Nano).

Does it come with software for converting audio CDs to a format suitable for the iPOD? Yes

Can it play MP3 files or will it only play Apple specific files? MP3s will play you can choose to record in apple lossless or MP3

How do you download video onto it? Podcasts or purchases from itunes Can I copy a DVD movie onto it with software provided? Not with the software provided

Anything else I should know?

An Nano only has 8GB so it won't hold that much video, plus the screen is too small anyway. If you want video then you might want to consider the touch (but that only has 16GB) Or go for a PSP or Archos

KenL
10th December 2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Vidal.

I doubt she will be too fussed with the Video, was just interested as to how it was done.

The Dogfather
10th December 2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks Vidal.

I doubt she will be too fussed with the Video, was just interested as to how it was done.

I've got the 4GB nano, its more than enough for my music in the car. I've got special playlists setup that randomise what is put on there everytime plug it into my Mac

GAJ
11th December 2007, 10:27 AM
To clarify what VB said, you can choose to convert to MP3 or AAC (which isn't lossless). You can choose lossless formats but file sizes will be a lot bigger. Contrary to what a lot of people think, any MP3 from any source will play fine on an iPod.

KenL
11th December 2007, 06:37 PM
To clarify what VB said, you can choose to convert to MP3 or AAC (which isn't lossless). You can choose lossless formats but file sizes will be a lot bigger. Contrary to what a lot of people think, any MP3 from any source will play fine on an iPod.

Thanks Gaj.

The Dogfather
11th December 2007, 11:18 PM

Gaj, so your saying that Apple Lossless (the name they use) isn't lossless? I feel cheated :rolleyes: :D ;)

AndyP & Lenore
12th December 2007, 02:33 AM
I feel cheated :rolleyes: :D ;)

And not in a good way.:D

A.:D

GAJ
12th December 2007, 10:00 AM
Maybe I'm talking pish! Not got iTunes infront of me so can't check just now, but VB may be right. It used to be the case that iTunes let you rip to MP3 or AAC (MP4) - AAC being the default setting and also the format that iTunes Store downloads are in. Apple does have a lossless codec, ALAC which may well be an option within iTunes but I have never considered it as it only offers about 50% compression. Confusingly, this format shares a file extension with AAC (MP4), although they are completely different formats. AAC and MP3 files are generally roughly a tenth of the size of the original file, depending on the bitrate you choose; AAC files are considered to sound better than MP3, particularly below 192 kbs.:)

Gismo
12th December 2007, 10:08 AM
Maybe I'm talking pish! Not got iTunes infront of me so can't check just now, but VB may be right
According to my iTunes that is in front of me, you can record to the following formats:-
AAC, AAIF, Apple Lossless and of course Wav and Mp3

GAJ
12th December 2007, 10:15 AM
According to my iTunes that is in front of me, you can record to the following formats:-
AAC, AAIF, Apple Lossless and of course Wav and Mp3

Dunno what that is - AIFF maybe?

euan
12th December 2007, 10:31 AM

What's the Aberdeen International Football Festival got to do with Apple??:D

Gismo
12th December 2007, 11:00 AM
Aw man, one wee typo :rolleyes: :D