PDA

View Full Version : Petrol protest?

euan
9th December 2007, 11:34 PM
You guys seen this? Seems there will be some kind of fuel protest on Wednesday.

LINK (http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/petrol-price-protests-planned-for-this-wednesday-86.html)

duncan
9th December 2007, 11:43 PM
If there is it'll be interesting.

The Government shouldn't be held to ransom by un-elected pressure groups - nor heavy donators to the party, but thats a different story.

Scottie
9th December 2007, 11:58 PM
yip time they done away with excise duty on fuel also road tax and press ahead with Road Charging. Make the companies and the people that do the miles pay the price.:eek: :D

Sheilz
10th December 2007, 02:37 AM
Oh dear! I feel that '......rock and a hard place' feeling coming on!

The Dogfather
10th December 2007, 07:21 AM
makes no difference, if you pay don't pay the tax on fuel you'll pay it somewhere else. The tax on fuel is basically congestion charging without the tracking device (big brother is watching you), the more you use the more you pay.

Get rid of road tax now that's a silly tax

euan
10th December 2007, 09:51 AM
I'd rather have lower fuel duty than road tax, for the miles I do it would save me money!

AndyP & Lenore
10th December 2007, 10:03 AM
Can't really see this coming to anything this close to Christmas. Even the protesters have Christmas shopping to do. I know we're all pi$$ed with the price of fuel, but we all have too much on to support a major protest at the mo.

Aside from that, has anyone else noticed the price has dropped a tad in the past week?

A.;)

s12cot
10th December 2007, 02:08 PM
well they will get my full support:D The tax on fuel so so high it takes the pish:mad: why is it that we have some of the highest fuel prices in the world:confused:

If i have the time and theres a rod blockage or whatever I will supoport it. Do care if it is xmas, may make the powers above listen. We should take a leaf out of the old French's book, they know how to get what they want, grind the country to a stand still until they got it :D

duncan
10th December 2007, 02:16 PM
why is it that we have some of the highest fuel prices in the world:confused:

As we have a lower rate of Income Tax, and National Insurance than a lot of other countries.
Its a Money-go-round.

You want US fuel prices? Give up the NHS then.
I know what I'd rather have.

euan
10th December 2007, 03:08 PM
Can't really see this coming to anything this close to Christmas. Even the protesters have Christmas shopping to do. I know we're all pi$$ed with the price of fuel, but we all have too much on to support a major protest at the mo.

Aside from that, has anyone else noticed the price has dropped a tad in the past week?

A.;)

Marginally. I was 102.9 yesterday to fill up as opposed to 104.9 - but then it was not my usual petrol station so not sure what they are charging at the moment.

s12cot
10th December 2007, 04:10 PM
As we have a lower rate of Income Tax, and National Insurance than a lot of other countries.
Its a Money-go-round.

You want US fuel prices? Give up the NHS then.
I know what I'd rather have.

we have private health care;)

Lower the fuel:D

The Dogfather
10th December 2007, 07:14 PM
we have private health care;)

What about your parents, your grand parents, your aunt uncle what about your best friend?

What if your Private Healthcare company goes bust, or if your insured through your work, like I am, what happens if you loose your job.

Short term gain long term loss

duncan
10th December 2007, 07:25 PM
I find it interesting that the majority of the posts on the petrolprices.com article all are about "Me" or "I"

This sums up the sad state of society that we live in. Its all self obsessed, me, me, me.

vintageb3
10th December 2007, 07:40 PM
I heard a cracker about the word team the other day ;)

Right condescending guy said "There's no I in Team!"

He was speechless after the reply of "Nope...but there's a 'ME'!...So f&*k right off!!"
:D

I love petrol discussions....this will be fun!!!...Ewan...any popcorn left?:eek: :D

mark

The Dogfather
10th December 2007, 07:49 PM
You can save some fuel by switching off un-needed electrical equipment, such as fog lights when the visibility is better than 200m.....

duncan
10th December 2007, 07:52 PM
I heard a cracker about the word team the other day ;)

Right condescending guy said "There's no I in Team!"

He was speechless after the reply of "Nope...but there's a 'ME'!...So f&*k right off!!"

mark

Yeah, but its a backwords, and jumbled up "ME".
I guess if you're happy being called backwards, and jumbled then that retort works. ;)

zimbo
10th December 2007, 08:07 PM
Bout time something was done about these rediculous fuel prices, they get my support 100%. I'm fed up with being screwed (I apologise for that word if I'm not supposed to use it on here...) by the government, I earn very little money and just cant afford to keep paying ludicrous prices like these!!! :mad:

Bring on the protests.

s12cot
10th December 2007, 08:14 PM
I find it interesting that the majority of the posts on the petrolprices.com article all are about "Me" or "I"

This sums up the sad state of society that we live in. Its all self obsessed, me, me, me.

I don't see myself as a self obsessed sad person, however I would like to see lower fuel cost's as the tax is very unforgiving for those in the lower salary bracket, yes this does not affect me, but it does effect people i know and others on this forum.

Which is also another reason to keep the NHS - As I don't honestly think they should go down the private route...

Scottie
10th December 2007, 08:33 PM
aye the average is £4.77 per gallon. duty and vat included.

£2.29 per Gallon on duty alone £2.69 if you included the vat:eek:

The Dogfather
10th December 2007, 08:42 PM
I don't see myself as a self obsessed sad person, however I would like to see lower fuel cost's as the tax is very unforgiving for those in the lower salary bracket, yes this does not affect me, but it does effect people i know and others on this forum.

A car is a luxury item, most people on really low incomes have to use public transport. However, I think that people who live in remote areas should be able to claim back some of the tax back. I think that essential service works like nurses etc should be given an allowance.

Scottie
10th December 2007, 08:50 PM
actually I think that this would be a perfect time of year to do a fuel protest go the whole way rolling road blocks, blocking the tankers form leaving the terminals. Huge long Q's at stations only to get a couple of gallons of fuel then the filling stations run dry. I tell you this if they did you can be sure there is nothing like a crisis at Christmas to bring a Government down.

duncan
10th December 2007, 08:59 PM
A car is a luxury item, most people on really low incomes have to use public transport. However, I think that people who live in remote areas should be able to claim back some of the tax back. I think that essential service works like nurses etc should be given an allowance.

Totally agree! And we're on a forum centred around a car that isn't exactly the cheapest, nor gives the best fuel economy. (Yes, I know the R56 is much better).

The Dogfather
10th December 2007, 09:56 PM
actually I think that this would be a perfect time of year to do a fuel protest go the whole way rolling road blocks, blocking the tankers form leaving the terminals. Huge long Q's at stations only to get a couple of gallons of fuel then the filling stations run dry. I tell you this if they did you can be sure there is nothing like a crisis at Christmas to bring a Government down.

SC, the reason the fuel protests worked was simply because it caught the government by surprise. Trust me because I know, if the protests happen again there won't be a long term shortage. Yes, people will panic buy which will mean there will be queues but once everyone has filled up their tanks that'll be the end of it. The government have been planning for this since 2000.

I would imagine the army/police will prevent any protesters from blockading the fuel depots.

Scottie
10th December 2007, 10:08 PM
SC, the reason the fuel protests worked was simply because it caught the government by surprise. Trust me because I know, if the protests happen again there won't be a long term shortage. Yes, people will panic buy which will mean there will be queues but once everyone has filled up their tanks that'll be the end of it. The government have been planning for this since 2000.

I would imagine the army/police will prevent any protesters from blockading the fuel depots.

actually I think there was a new legal thing brought in that means they can't block terminals.

If the government have been planning anything since the year 2000 then it must only be in the last 6 months that they involved the Major Oil Companies up until that time I can assure you the oil companies had no structure in place for any kind of fuel protests.

The Dogfather
10th December 2007, 10:23 PM
actually I think there was a new legal thing brought in that means they can't block terminals.

If the government have been planning anything since the year 2000 then it must only be in the last 6 months that they involved the Major Oil Companies up until that time I can assure you the oil companies had no structure in place for any kind of fuel protests.

Fi, I wasn't involved in the discussions, too junior, however plans are in place to ensure the fuel gets through. I would be gobsmacked if the senior management in the companies which run the depots weren't consulted, however some might argue that they didn't really try to break the blockades the last time.

It would suit the oil companies if the tax was cut they'd sell more fuel without damaging their profits. I reckon they should cut the tax but raise some of the money back from corporate tax on oil company profits ;)

AndyP & Lenore
10th December 2007, 10:30 PM
Totally agree! And we're on a forum centred around a car that isn't exactly the cheapest, nor gives the best fuel economy. (Yes, I know the R56 is much better).

That depends on how you drive it.;)

A.:D

s12cot
11th December 2007, 09:13 AM

The fuel protesters have nothing to worry about if this government has been planning for this.....:D

I also think your point about health care workers etc etc getting a fuel tax allowance is a valid one...

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2007, 10:01 AM
I also think your point about health care workers etc etc getting a fuel tax allowance is a valid one...

But surely this just opens a can of worms.... what about all the other public service employee's for whom transport is essential. Retained fire-fighters? Police support personnel, etc., etc.

A.:confused:

s12cot
11th December 2007, 02:00 PM
But surely this just opens a can of worms.... what about all the other public service employee's for whom transport is essential. Retained fire-fighters? Police support personnel, etc., etc.

A.:confused:

yes it would do, but in general thes guys don't get paid a huge amount for the work they do... whihc is very important... there has to be a balance, if prices are going to stay this way these people need a break.. otherwise they will change profession and we will be in a bigger mess then we are:eek:

Craig
11th December 2007, 06:06 PM
yes it would do, but in general thes guys don't get paid a huge amount for the work they do... whihc is very important... there has to be a balance, if prices are going to stay this way these people need a break.. otherwise they will change profession and we will be in a bigger mess then we are:eek:

completely agree - I am not paid enough, and it costs me a fortune using the car for my work (as I have to do tomorrow.) :(

defo need a bigger allowance, better still, just pay for my car and put some blue lights on it so it's tax free.... :cool: :cool:

duncan
11th December 2007, 06:29 PM
Everyone will say they're not paid enough!

Nurses shouldn't be singled out for a fuel tax rebate - they should be paid a fair wage for what they do.

s12cot
11th December 2007, 07:19 PM
all amounts to the same thing....

duncan
11th December 2007, 07:35 PM
No, it doesn't really.

If a Nurse doesn't hava a car, then they'd be better off.
Pointless giving them a tax rebate for something they can't claim for.

s12cot
11th December 2007, 07:40 PM
well in a way it does amount to the same thing, a travel allowance would benifit them all, even if they dont take a car, as fuel goes up so will the cost of public transport......

I think we are saying the samething... that they deserve a better package, however it is delivered to them.

The Dogfather
11th December 2007, 11:11 PM
Duncan et al, the point I was advocating is that 'essential workers' who are unable to live close to their place of work should be able to claim that money back from elsewhere.

The only people I would class as essential workers are skilled government workers who aren't on the best of wages by that I would include Police, Nurses, Firemen and teachers and maybe others. I understand what your saying Duncan about paying them a decent wage but most people are 'happy' to do the job at their current salary, supply and demand. Problems arises in localities like Edinburgh and London where they are forced to commute long distances.

duncan
11th December 2007, 11:22 PM
Duncan et al, the point I was advocating is that 'essential workers' who are unable to live close to their place of work, because they have been priced out of the market e.g. London should be able to claim that money back from elsewhere.

The only people I would class as essential workers are skilled government workers who aren't on the best of wages by that I would include Police, Nurses, Firemen and teachers there maybe others.

I understand what your saying Duncan about paying them a decent wage but most people are happy to do the job at their current salary, supply and demand. Problems arises in localities like Edinburgh and London where they are forced to commute long distances.

I think you'll find that the Police and Teachers are on vastly more money than the likes of the Nurses. And yes, they're probably happy to do the job - but they're getting less and less recruits - hence the importing of foriegn health care workers.

There's lots of people on very low wages, and do "essential" jobs, such as cleaners. They have to work even more anti-social hours, when public transport is worse than the 9 to 5 brigade, and they have to cope.

People are mainly "forced" to commute long distances, and are "priced out of the market" in the likes of Edinburgh, because they don't like the affordable housing in those areas. They tend to be in the less desirable areas.

A lot of these posts on the petrolprices.com article are made by people who don't appreciate how lucky they are.

vintageb3
11th December 2007, 11:25 PM
You can save some fuel by switching off un-needed electrical equipment, such as fog lights when the visibility is better than 200m.....

LOL!!!!!...but also true!....correctly purchased tyres also help!;) :D

mark

The Dogfather
11th December 2007, 11:43 PM
I think you'll find that the Police and Teachers are on vastly more money than the likes of the Nurses. And yes, they're probably happy to do the job - but they're getting less and less recruits - hence the importing of foriegn health care workers.

OK then, just the nurses get to claim then. Anyway if we can get other nationals to do the work then there isn't really an issue.

There's lots of people on very low wages, and do "essential" jobs, such as cleaners. They have to work even more anti-social hours, when public transport is worse than the 9 to 5 brigade, and they have to cope.

Such is life, you work hard at school to get a career so that you get paid more. If people weren't willing to work for the money they'd have to pay more. I think you're advocating communism-lite :eek: ;) :D

People are mainly "forced" to commute long distances, and are "priced out of the market" in the likes of Edinburgh, because they don't like the affordable housing in those areas. They tend to be in the less desirable areas.

Their choice, live somewhere nice and commute or live in Middlesborough and walk to work because someone has stolen your wheels.

duncan
11th December 2007, 11:54 PM
OK then, just the nurses get to claim then. Anyway if we can get other nationals to do the work then there isn't really an issue.

Well, yes there is. Why Import into the UK, when you have a source of people here? Bringing in more people only creates a further demand on resources, like schools, housing, etc.

Such is life, you work hard at school to get a career so that you get paid more. If people weren't willing to work for the money they'd have to pay more. I think you're advocating communism-lite :eek: ;) :D

Nah, communism doesn't work. I do believe in the Welfare state, and essensial services being funded properly, instead of over priced PFI schemes where only the rich get richer at the expense of the tax payer.

Their choice, live somewhere nice and commute or live in Middlesborough and walk to work because someone has stolen your wheels.

And again when they choose to do so, they should realise the implications of they're choices, such as paying for the travel costs.

The sooner people realise life isn't fair, the better!

The Dogfather
12th December 2007, 12:03 AM
Duncan, but don't the foreign entrants pay tax on their earnings, so ultimately pay for school places etc. Whilst the ex NHS Nurses go off and do something else.

I'm with you on funding the NHS, even though I have private healthcare, but there's too many spongers on welfare who could be working.

duncan
12th December 2007, 12:11 AM
Of course the foriegn entrants pay tax - but, i'd imagine the costs of providing the new resources, such as schools, hospitals, etc far outweigh the tax that is paid.

Not forgetting, the places that the UK now gets its overseas medical staff from are VERY short of these valuable resources.

We're only pinching them, leaving them vitally short - a very selfish thing to do. In turn, the west may have to pay more in aid in times of a medical crisis - flood, famine, earthquake, to these poor countries.

Totally agree with the spongers - there was an article on the NEETS on TV tonight. Thats the first batch of spongers to be tackled, IMHO. Get them out with a brush sweeping the streets!

The Dogfather
12th December 2007, 12:19 AM
Duncan, some might argue the reason that some foreign doctors etc. study medicine is to get away from the poverty. However, I think the issue around foreign workers in the NHS is very complex, we could go on and on but this is about petrol prices, innit?

duncan
12th December 2007, 12:23 AM
Aye:D

In that case, I dinnae care if they protest. It gave us a bit of fun trying to find fuel, which meant we couldn't do work!

Plus the railway vans were authorised to use Red Diesel if it came to it.
Thankfully we didn't have to go down that route.

AndyP & Lenore
12th December 2007, 02:21 AM
Duncan, some might argue the reason that some foreign doctors etc. study medicine is to get away from the poverty. However, I think the issue around foreign workers in the NHS is very complex, we could go on and on but this is about petrol prices, innit?

Aye:D

In that case, I dinnae care if they protest. It gave us a bit of fun trying to find fuel, which meant we couldn't do work!

Plus the railway vans were authorised to use Red Diesel if it came to it.
Thankfully we didn't have to go down that route.

Ahhhh.;) Thank you.:D Saves me having to unravel the "off topic" flag again. Lenore hates it when I do that, 'cos I never fold it neatly back up again.:o

A.:D

Sheilz
12th December 2007, 02:25 AM
Im a nurse and a social worker so I feel its ok to point out that as a nurse in a hospital, I wouldn't have argued for any special privileges in terms of transport. I had to get to work the same way as Mrs Bloggs got to her job in Asda. No difference in transport need. I think this is only valid for Health Visitors and District Nurses who need transport to do their job efficiently and effectively. I have also to add the same criteria to social workers. I've already banged on about the mileage put on my car and the ridiculous amounts of money I have to pay out of my own pocket for fuel with no travel allowance other than 41p per mile, returned to me much much later yet never seeming to be enough for all the replacement tyres etc (oops I think I just banged on again - sorry!). Love us or hate us (go on! join the masses!) our job is essential, travelling across the country an integral part of the job, and in my case commuting to Sheffield and now got to make a few trips to Wales, a legal obligation the LA places on me. So please can I have some concession too? And that I would suggest goes for anyone who has to fork out of their own pockets to do their job, not for getting to their job which is afterall a personal responsibility.

I read through the thread on the site and wondered about one comment which suggested that rather than blockades it might be more effective if everyone agreed to boycott the pumps on agreed days. According to the author, duty and tax on fuel is collected on a daily basis by government and is alleged to be vital to the government cash flow, a hiccup in which could cause the govt serious difficulty. If this is true and I dont know enough about it to say yea or nae it surely would be a much more effective way to hit those responsible rather than Mr and Mrs Bloggs just trying to go about their daily business? I haven't a clue if this is right or wrong, can anyone enlighten me?

AndyP & Lenore
12th December 2007, 02:32 AM
No idea on the duty issue Shielz, but VAT is paid to the VAT man on a monthly or quarterly basis, depending on the businesses individual circumstances.;)

Unless of course, VAT on fuel is collected under a different arrangement than normal business VAT.:confused:

A.;)

Scottie
12th December 2007, 08:55 AM
Duty is paid monthly. Vat every quarter. on fuel.

Sheilz
12th December 2007, 10:35 PM
So..........somebody wiz speaking sh*te!
Were there any protest today?

euan
13th December 2007, 11:00 AM
So..........somebody wiz speaking sh*te!
Were there any protest today?

From PetrolPrices website:

UPDATE: Transaction 2007 have announced a firm date for the protest - Saturday 15th December 2007 at 10:00am. They say the date was decided by members as "the best possible to enable those who would normally be working during the week to attend." According to a press release on the site, they plan to protest outside refineries or storage depots across the country.

Doesn't sound like the best run group does it!

The Dogfather
13th December 2007, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry I can't protest today, I've got a letter from my mum though

AndyP & Lenore
16th December 2007, 02:25 AM
So it did sort of go ahead today (Saturday) after all.

BBC news (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7145660.stm)

Not quite the disruption of 2000 was it.

A.:)