PDA

View Full Version : Vidal's & Vintage's Business discussion thread

The Dogfather
5th December 2007, 11:01 AM
Mark, with respect spent 7 years working within the DTI Industry Support Directorate, supporting both SME and large businesses in the oil and gas industry. I also ran a trade association for two years. So I'd say I have a pretty detailed knowledge of the 'marketplace and I stand by my comment businesses must be competitive, and your assumption that I mean on price alone would be incorrect.

The key driver in any business is usually cost, of course there is always a place for businesses that offer something different, such as novel or high quality. However, the customer doesn't set the price, the business and its competition does.

My original comment related to the peanuts remark, the tyre retailer has the option to fit the tyre or not, they also set the price. If they feel that they can break even by charging £10 then I would say they know their own business better than you or I. In my opinion £10 for a few minutes work is a good return, especially when this business is in addition to work they already have.

The online tyre retailers are bringing extra competition to the market place which will mean a better deal for the customer, whether this is sustainable in the longer term is unclear. However, the market will decide.

Your example of your local Kwik Fit is an interesting one given that Kwik Fit are a huge organisation which offer a variety of services; tyres, brakes, exhausts obviously but they also make money through finance and insurance. So they don’t just fit tyres. I would imagine their profits would be in the millions. Hardly what I would call a local business.

By the way I said mild steel purely as a way differentiating from a quality stainless steel exhaust.

Burple
5th December 2007, 11:25 AM
...after all...for a tenner a wheel...its a bloody favour!

A bargain?? £10 for 5 mins work? So, roughly speaking you think the tyre monkeys who work in Quickfit are worth £120 per hour? More than double what BMW mechanics cost? It's hardly rocket science is it? ;):D

I'd be quite happy myself for getting that kind of money for swapping out a computer mouse or keyboard, or showing a Professor how to switch on a projector.. It's the equivalent level of task for the profession.. ;)

If it was a favour, it'd be free ;):p:D

*opens popcorn*
*puts feet up* :D

vintageb3
5th December 2007, 08:38 PM
A bargain?? £10 for 5 mins work? So, roughly speaking you think the tyre monkeys who work in Quickfit are worth £120 per hour? [/SIZE] :D

In order to make £120 per hour as you suggest...they would have to fill each 5 minute segment of an hour fitting other's peoples tyres for £10.00 correct?

How many days a week do you think that happens?

Enjoy the popcorn...watch not fall in the box though:eek: ;) :D or you will need a popcorn monkey to help you out.:rolleyes:

mark

vintageb3
5th December 2007, 08:43 PM
Mark, with respect spent 7 years working within the DTI Industry Support Directorate, supporting both SME and large businesses in the oil and gas industry. I also ran a trade association for two years. So I'd say I have a pretty detailed knowledge of the 'marketplace and I stand by my comment businesses must be competitive, and your assumption that I mean on price alone would be incorrect.

With all due respect VB...all the above is still not the same as running a business is it?

Can you explain in what other way a business can be competitive...other than price?

Thanks for your post...every day is a day in the classroom...

mark

The Dogfather
5th December 2007, 08:44 PM
Mark, they do have other customers you know, plus seeing that the guy earns probably no more than £15p/h anyway they only have to do two an hours to be in profit. The other business takes care of the fixtures and fittings........

The Dogfather
5th December 2007, 08:54 PM
Mark, I ran a trade association for two years. That's a small business isn't it? I did the whole lot, accounts, tax returns, setting prices, establishing the company etc. pretty much everything you'd expect in running a small business (including making the coffee at management board meetings). :D

Well, from my years in procurement (contract management/purchasing) ;) you would say you would look at total life cost of a contract/purchase rather than bottom line price. Items such as delivery, maintenance and cost of disposal would come into a calculation like that. Also people like to pay more for a name/kudos hence why Merc are still in business.

I'll send you my CV if you like, starting salary in the region of ................. ;)

AndyP & Lenore
5th December 2007, 09:20 PM
I mean...where the hell would you think Andy Poole would be...have you heard how much he charges for a Hot Dog!!!!

:D

mark

No one has heard. 'Cos we don't sell em.;) :D

A.:D

Scottie
5th December 2007, 09:36 PM
With all due respect VB...all the above is still not the same as running a business is it?

Can you explain in what other way a business can be competitive...other than price?

Thanks for your post...every day is a day in the classroom...

mark

competitive in it's market place. Is that what you mean. I think so.

Well as a person responsible for making sure (in my previous employment) that we were competitive, believe me it was never about price, as hard as I tried to get our prices down around what others were offering it was mind blowing trying to keep them within reach. We were competitive because of our - quality of product - brand name - customer service -. Other reason but mainly those big 3's.

vintageb3
6th December 2007, 08:51 AM
Mark, I ran a trade association for two years. That's a small business isn't it?

What did the trade association sell?

mark

vintageb3
6th December 2007, 08:53 AM
No one has heard. 'Cos we don't sell em.;) :D

A.:D

We know...I was pulling your chain....just like I'm pulling VB's;) :D

mark

The Dogfather
6th December 2007, 09:24 AM
What did the trade association sell?

mark

We sold membership and events, are you sure you run a small business? I can't believe you've never been asked to join a trade association....... ;) :D

vintageb3
6th December 2007, 09:39 PM
We sold membership and events, are you sure you run a small business? I can't believe you've never been asked to join a trade association....... ;) :D

Errr...so you are asking me if I'm sure a run a small business?

Actually....I run two...just in case I forget about the first one;)

We have been asked many times to join organisations such as these, but without trying to upset you...I prefer working to line my pocket...not someone else's.

A membership to a trade association would be little use to me.

I don't need a sticker on my van to get work...

Hope you take no offense at this...just be thankful you don't sell insurance ;)

Then I would have to hurt your feelings:)

mark

vintageb3
6th December 2007, 10:05 PM
I was thinking about this topic today...and its clear that I have ruffled a few feathers.

I apologise if i have upset anyone...must admit I was pulling legs a bit too;)

I replied to the topic...because I always find it amusing when someone thinks a tenner for "only five minutes work" is great money to a business. The business certainly didn't get there buy doing £10.00 jobs...and certainly did invest thousands in plant and workshop space for £10.00 Joe Bloggs

I must admit that no one's replies have actually surprised me...its the way most folks think these days.

Maybe I should have simply said that I personally don't feel right buying tyres online and getting a local tyre fitter to work for peanuts to fit them just to save me a few quid.

That's what I did for my 18"s...and i found it embarrassing. I did it because it seemed that that's what everyone was doing.

Maybe I'm becoming conscious of the way local business is done these days...That's why I thought I would be fair to local business in future.

Not that any of this will effect you VB..."starting salary in the region of ................."....how impressive....you could buy your tyres at Harrods then?:D

I don't like the term "tyre monkey" Ewan to be honest...but if you are happy to use it...that's fine.

These guys are monkeys until you have a puncture....then they are what?...great wee guy along the road?

OK I've said enough....

mark

The Dogfather
7th December 2007, 09:11 AM
Mark, don't worry about upsetting me I realise your comments were to a certain extent tongue in cheek, plus I'm thicked skinned or is that just thick?:D As for Harrods, on my salary its Aldi.

BTW, I was on secondment from the DTI whilst I ran the Trade Association, which was a 'not for profit' government seed funded organisation, no pockets lined there I tell you. We did quite a lot of good in the short space of time we were up a running, got a few SMEs into see the major oil and gas companies when before all they would have got was a door slammed in their faces. Most TAs are 'not for profit' any money they make is usually ploughed back into promoting their member companies. Did I think it was a good way to spend public money, no not at all, but thankfully it wasn't my decision.

Its your choice to support local business, I am doing the same, we buy all our meat and a fair bit of veg from a local farm rather than Tescos. Its a bit more expensive but its better quality and hasn't been flown out to Poland for packing. However as most of the local tyre fitters near us are part of a huge chain then I don't see them as local. When I lived up north I wouldn't of dreamt of going anywhere other than Turriff Tyres.

What was this thread about again, I've forgotten :p

Gismo
7th December 2007, 10:52 AM
What was this thread about again, I've forgotten :p
A timely reminder :rolleyes:

vintageb3
7th December 2007, 10:19 PM
Can we talk about tyres in here PALEESE!!!!!

:)

mark

AeroJonny
7th December 2007, 10:28 PM
ooh, tyres...I've got some of those.

vintageb3
7th December 2007, 10:39 PM
ooh, tyres...I've got some of those.

What they like mate?

mark

The Dogfather
7th December 2007, 11:04 PM
Mine are round and black, whatever you do don't buy the ones which are round but flat at the bottom.

They prevent the wheel from turning. I had one of these and no matter how far I drove the flat bit stayed at the bottom, so I figured the wheel can't be turning.