PDA

View Full Version : JCW Strurt Brace Torque

MINI William
3rd December 2007, 08:26 PM
Evening all.does anyone know what the torque of the JCW strut Brace is to be for the R56 thanks William:D

JCWmini
3rd December 2007, 09:14 PM
Evening all.does anyone know what the torque of the JCW strut Brace is to be for the R56 thanks William:D

Nothing like a bit of bling in the engine bay. :D

Craig
3rd December 2007, 09:22 PM
I didn't know Santa had been already? :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :D

vintageb3
3rd December 2007, 10:14 PM

Don't overdo the torque on the studs...hand tight is enough....then check in 200 miles.

mark

Gorbash12346
4th December 2007, 09:06 PM
25nm if i remember rightly ;)

KenL
4th December 2007, 10:28 PM
Don't overdo the torque on the studs...hand tight is enough....then check in 200 miles.

mark

Hand tight means tightened with the hand, surely that can't be enough? I would think they would rattle loose!

Gismo
4th December 2007, 10:43 PM

mark
:eek: what, no way, needs some torque, don't know what it is, but defo not hand tight

Craig
4th December 2007, 11:38 PM
I have to say, I never bother with a torque setting and never had any problems, just like my wheels. If it is tight enough not to come loose, then it is right in my book. :rolleyes: :) :D

MINI William
7th December 2007, 09:46 AM
thanks for the replys.sadly santas not been early was going to fit it when i got home sunday but sadly my mum was in so it got taken straight off me:( :mad: .still looks nice and shiney tho lol:D

vintageb3
7th December 2007, 10:29 PM
:eek: what, no way, needs some torque, don't know what it is, but defo not hand tight

Hand tight with a socket and wrench then....I use two fingers on the shaft of the wrench...and tighten with that.

OK...for Gen 1...that's the thin Mini....not the new fat one;)

Upper strut brace requires 34NM torque.

59NM torque setting for lower strut brace.

When I started using a strut brace...I used a torque wrench...but found out that 34NM is just hand tight with a socket and wrench.

The studs are very soft...and the reason they are soft is so that the nuts take a bite on the studs...or so I've been told...

I can assure you that hand tight...is enough....as long as you check in 200 miles.

Mines went on hand tight last time...and didn't need tightening

Hope this helps!

mark

vintageb3
7th December 2007, 10:29 PM
I have to say, I never bother with a torque setting and never had any problems, just like my wheels. If it is tight enough not to come loose, then it is right in my book. :rolleyes: :) :D

But the strut brace doesn't need to be as tight as wheel nuts Craig does it?

mark

Craig
7th December 2007, 11:11 PM
But the strut brace doesn't need to be as tight as wheel nuts Craig does it?

mark

naw, but if it's tight, it ain't coming loose. ;)

vintageb3
7th December 2007, 11:48 PM
I should have added...these strut top studs being soft...are easily stripped...and are "one use only"

There are JCW strut top studs available...different shape...but still soft.

You can get more than one use out of them.

Even using the correct torque setting...they do start to strip...and the threads then get trapped in the nut when taking off the nut.

The stud then snaps....

Go on...ask me how I know:rolleyes:

Lets just say I have a few spare ones in stock now...:eek:

mark

KenL
8th December 2007, 12:01 AM
You may be right, but "hand tight" means tightened by hand, i.e. your fingers, not with any wrench at all...

vintageb3
8th December 2007, 01:04 AM
You may be right, but "hand tight" means tightened by hand, i.e. your fingers, not with any wrench at all...

Can you give me an definitive for "Awa and bile yer heid?":p :D

mark

Gismo
8th December 2007, 10:49 AM
Sorry Mark, in any engineering terminology and especially mechanics, hand tight is exactly that :rolleyes:
To say hand tight with a wrench is nonsense :D that's the biggest get out since the amnesiac turned up last week.

A fairly decent mechanic will "feel" the thread stripping and know when to stop