PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Itunes on to a memory stick

Scottie
2nd December 2007, 06:07 PM
I have one of those usb things on my head unit in my car.

Is it possible to download my itunes music on to it.???

if so anyone with a step by step guide on how to do it.

The Dogfather
2nd December 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that itunes won't transfer music to it, although I haven't looked that hard for 3rd party software. However, Nokia do a integration thing for their phones and itunes. I use it with my N95, that might work but it might be a phone only thing.....

vintageb3
2nd December 2007, 09:08 PM
I have one of those usb things on my head unit in my car.

Is it possible to download my itunes music on to it.???

if so anyone with a step by step guide on how to do it.

Go to the itunes folder(on your hard drive...not within itunes)...find the files....copy them straight to your stick

Ta da!

mark

Scottie
2nd December 2007, 10:05 PM
Go to the itunes folder(on your hard drive...not within itunes)...find the files....copy them straight to your stick

Ta da!

mark

thanks but I need step by step guide:o even down to locating the hard drive

The Dogfather
2nd December 2007, 10:19 PM
Fi, copying files will be a right royal pain in the bum. Plus you won't be able to use any you've downloaded from the itunes store.

I'm trying to find a 3rd party add on to itunes, no luck so far

The Dogfather
2nd December 2007, 10:24 PM
Fi, does the stereo take MP3 discs?

That would be an easier way to get the headunit to play MP3s.

The Dogfather
2nd December 2007, 10:29 PM
Fi, I found this but you'd need to install the software, perhaps a kind soul will help out.

Linky (http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/itunes-sync-transfers-your-itunes-library-to-other-mp3-players-269105.php)

Scottie
2nd December 2007, 10:35 PM
Fi, does the stereo take MP3 discs?

That would be an easier way to get the headunit to play MP3s.

yes but I really wanted to give the USB a go to hear what the sound was like.

The Dogfather
2nd December 2007, 10:39 PM
They should sound the same, basically the stereo reads the MP3 file and plays it. The only difference is it loads it from the stick rather than the disc, the decoding/amplification is the same. I think!

Gismo
2nd December 2007, 10:44 PM
I'm trying to find a 3rd party add on to itunes, no luck so far
Try a programme called Sharepod, unable to look just now for you, but, basically, you place the Sharepd files on your iPod and then you can export any music file from your iPod to anywhere on your PC.
It also works in reverse :)

vintageb3
2nd December 2007, 10:52 PM
thanks but I need step by step guide:o even down to locating the hard drive

If you can find a word file on your computer and copy it to a folder...you can find the itunes folder and copy individual mp3 files onto a usb stick. Its not rocket surgery:D

With either mac or PC...open up a window for the usb stick...and one for the itunes folder.

Drag the files over on a Mac (as this is copy only) or copy and paste on a PC.

Following this method will make sure you still have a copy of the mp3's on your hard drive.

Stick the usb stick into your audio device...and it should play.

mark

Scottie
2nd December 2007, 11:21 PM
If you can find a word file on your computer and copy it to a folder...you can find the itunes folder and copy individual mp3 files onto a usb stick. Its not rocket surgery:D

With either mac or PC...open up a window for the usb stick...and one for the itunes folder.

Drag the files over on a Mac (as this is copy only) or copy and paste on a PC.

Following this method will make sure you still have a copy of the mp3's on your hard drive.

Stick the usb stick into your audio device...and it should play.

mark

Mark great step by step guide ta very much music now copied over just need to see if it plays on the head unit ok.:D

AeroJonny
2nd December 2007, 11:32 PM
bear in mind that any music purchased from the itunes store won't play on the stick as it's encrypted by apple

Moonshine
3rd December 2007, 11:02 AM
bear in mind that any music purchased from the itunes store won't play on the stick as it's encrypted by apple

That's why i won't by music from iTunes....:confused: :mad:

G

Scottie
3rd December 2007, 01:23 PM
itunes didn't play so ripped some CD's on my Pc and they played fine it sounds good just no playlist or song titles but other than that I reckon more handy than a ipod no connection worry or charging

The Dogfather
3rd December 2007, 01:31 PM
Have you tried plugging the IPOD in to the USB?

BTW what headunit is it?

Gismo
3rd December 2007, 01:31 PM
Fi, if you do it my way using Sharepod you will be able to simply download from your iPod to the memory stick, it will take the Mp3 tags with it, so, getting the file names

Scottie
3rd December 2007, 01:40 PM
BS will give it a go tonight on my PC.

Tries on my Apple but just downloads a document to the desktop and with my no knowledge of computer type things I get lost real easy.

Was wondering can you buy memory sticks that lights up ??

Gismo
3rd December 2007, 01:56 PM
Fi, i'm not sure it's suitable for a Mac, but, what you need to do is simply copy the sharepod files directly onto the root drive of the iPod and then click on the exe file from the window broswer to run the programme.
Once it loads up it can be set up to downlaod to anywhere and include the artist name, title and track name etc