PDA

View Full Version : Tyres! Some stuff I've learnt

The Dogfather
30th November 2007, 03:22 PM
Not another tyre thread I hear you scream, hopefully this isn’t like all the others though. As my MX5 is particularly sensitive to tyre choice I started doing some research about tyres as I was considering buying some winter tyres. I thought some of this information would be of interest to others especially as my car shares it’s tyre size with the MINI.

I’ve read over 20 tyre reviews and looked at countless forum board threads where tyres were being discussed so a fair bit of work has gone into this post. I could have gone into far more detail but I decided to keep it short. If you have any questions please ask. I would appreciate if this thread isn’t trashed by people posting single line opinions about one particular brand of tyre, I will ask mods to remove posts which fall into this catagory that I don't think add anything to the thread.

Five Things I’ve learnt about about tyres.

Compromise
Everything to do with tyres is about compromise. If you want great dry grip then slicks is the way to go, just don’t go out in the rain. Great wet performance means a loss in feel and dry grip. Usually summer tyres loose grip below 7C and winter tyres overheat and wear out quickly above this temperature. Picking the right tyre for you is all about finding the compromise that suits you. Now every tyre manufacturer will tell you their tyre is the best in all conditions but that’s just the marketing department talking.

Brands
First and foremost if you want a good tyre you can’t really go wrong if you stick to the higher price tyres in the major brands ranges; Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone and Continental. These brands of tyres always seem to fill the majority of the top places in any test. Beyond this is really down to personal preference. I’ve heard quite a few people say the Toyo T-1Rs are great tyres, in fact I’ve said as much myself, however in most reviews these tyres have performed badly.

Loosing your grip?
Well, everyone knows that tyres grip less in the wet, but one thing I didn’t realise is that road temperature has a big effect as well, well at least below 7C. Summer tyres, and by that I mean most of the tyres on sale in the UK, loose grip below this temperature. Below 7C most winter tyres will start to comfortably outperform any summer tyre. The reason for this is caused by a number of facts but primarily the summer compounds loose their flexibility at these low temps. This loss of performance is similar, if not greater, to the loss of performance on wet roads in my opinion.

I’ve been looking at the way my car handles on the way to work since I got it and I’ve noticed that on days when the roads are cold the car is a real handful especially in the wet. I was blaming it on the roads being greasy with not having any rain days but having researched it turns out my tyres don’t work on cold days.

Tread patterns
The latest thing in tyre technology seams to be asymmetric tyres, these tyres have differing patterns across the tyre. They have an inside and outside edge, on normal driving the car travels on the inside edge and this is designed prevent aquaplaning. On cornering though the car leans onto the outside edge which is designed to provide more lateral grip (cornering ability). This is probably a simplification but basically the tyre has more rubber in contact with the road when you’re cornering.

Switching to smaller narrower tyres in winter
A lot of people seem to swear by this method of surviving any snow fall in winter, and to some extent this works the narrower tyres cuts through the slush to reach the road below but they are still prone to loosing grip in deep snow. However, to keep going no matter what, you need full winter friction tyres. The problem is we don’t have that many snow days in the UK to justify keeping proper snow tyres on all winter, as they wear out very quickly in warm temps. So what’s the next best option to a set of full winters? All season tyres are designed to work all year round and they’ll work better in the snow than a summer tyre.

My Decision
I narrowed my choices down to the Vredstein Wintrac Extremes and Nokian WR G2s. (You need to go to 215/45R17 for the Nokians on the MINI). The Wintracs are marketed as a full winter tyre whilst Nokian call the WRG2s an all season tyre; however both carry the severe service emblem. Both are available as runflats.

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_wrg2.aspx?season=summer (http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_wrg2.aspx?season=summer)
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/details.pl?ID=froogle&typ=R-123090&Country=UK (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/details.pl?ID=froogle&typ=R-123090&Country=UK)

I’ve decided to buy the Nokian WRG2s from MyTyres.co.uk as they are £20 cheaper than the Wintracs and I only need to cope with occasional snow days.

Eventually, I’ll be replacing my Precedas with the Nokian NRYs. Whilst these tyres can’t cope with snow, they can handle the cold and wet and as a result can stay on the car for most of the year. They are what you could call an ‘all temperature’ tyre. MyTyres have them in stock at £85 and they are Y rated (up to 186mph) so they are pretty high performance. They aren’t that far behind the top brand summer tyres for performance in summer, but in winter they’ll perform far far better.

BTW, one tyre that came out really well in dry tests was the incredibly cheap Federals (a summer only tyre, maybe?).

I hope that this is of some use. :D

euan
30th November 2007, 04:05 PM
Quiet day in the office ;-)

I'd also add that even the big brands can make a bad tyre. Bridegstone RE040's get panned for it's wet grip and the RE050a's get great write ups. I've got RE040s on my car and would definitely like more wet grip, my brother has just gone from 40's to 50's on his RX8 and he says they are just superb. Bit of tyre research is a useful thing!

Good write up though VB!

The Dogfather
30th November 2007, 04:38 PM
Quiet day in the office ;-)

I'd also add that even the big brands can make a bad tyre. Bridegstone RE040's get panned for it's wet grip and the RE050a's get great write ups. I've got RE040s on my car and would definitely like more wet grip, my brother has just gone from 40's to 50's on his RX8 and he says they are just superb. Bit of tyre research is a useful thing!

Good write up though VB!

Thanks

It was a lot longer, I cut it down as it was a bit techy. I've got an RE040 in my garage brand new. They fitted it to my car before I collected it, I complained as it was matched with a Preceda. You aren't supposed to mix asymmetic with directional so they paid to replace it.

euan
30th November 2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks

It was a lot longer, I cut it down as it was a bit techy. I've got an RE040 in my garage brand new. They fitted it to my car before I collected it, I complained as it was matched with a Preceda. You aren't supposed to mix asymmetic with directional so they paid to replace it.

I'll bear that in mind in case I get a puncture and need a spare!

Scottie
30th November 2007, 05:25 PM
do mytyres have the Nokians in stock.?

The Dogfather
30th November 2007, 06:20 PM
do mytyres have the Nokians in stock.?

They said they did, its a bit of a pain to order from them. You need to send a copy of an electricity/gas bill to confirm your address.:(

I take it you mean the WRG2s not the NRYs.

Scottie
30th November 2007, 06:37 PM
Please try contacting:

Tyreco Trading Ltd.
Unit 7, Hackhurst Lane
East Sussex BN2 Lower Dicker (Nr Hailsham)
Tel. +44 (0)1323 844 600
Fax. +44 (0) 1323 844 125
email: tyreco@talk21.com

They are the Nokian road tyre importers for the UK. They should be able to tell you the nearest stockist

KenL
30th November 2007, 06:55 PM
What about Blackcircles? I ordered from them for the Golf. You can do a fully fitted deal where the tyres are sent to your chosen fitter from their list. No inconvenience of having to be it to receive the tyres.

The Dogfather
30th November 2007, 10:19 PM
Don't do Vredestein or Nokian's. Fi, I'll might give them a try for the NRYs once the Precedas wear out, shouldn't be too long :evil grin:

vintageb3
1st December 2007, 02:44 AM
What about Blackcircles? I ordered from them for the Golf. You can do a fully fitted deal where the tyres are sent to your chosen fitter from their list. No inconvenience of having to be it to receive the tyres.

Yeah...I bought two tyres through them last year...and had them sent to a fitting centre near me.

I called the fitting centre to find out that the tyres had arrived...but they knew nothing about fitting tyres for Blackcircles. They were not interested in fitting 18" runflats to my rims, so I had to get BMW to fit them.

So before you choose a fitting centre....call them to ask if the do fit for Blackcircles

mark

KenL
1st December 2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah...I bought two tyres through them last year...and had them sent to a fitting centre near me.

I called the fitting centre to find out that the tyres had arrived...but they knew nothing about fitting tyres for Blackcircles. They were not interested in fitting 18" runflats to my rims, so I had to get BMW to fit them.

So before you choose a fitting centre....call them to ask if the do fit for Blackcircles

mark

Yes, good point Mark.

I contacted the fitter I was using to make sure they would guarantee that they could fit tyres to my alloys without any damage.

They did a good job. These weren't runflats though.

If you are buying any mail order tyres, best to make contact with a fitter. I hear a lot of places are getting peed off with all the people buying their cheap tyres on line and expecting fitting centres to fit them for peanuts.

The Dogfather
1st December 2007, 03:28 PM
Most places charge £10 per wheel which for 5mins work is pretty good money

vintageb3
1st December 2007, 03:57 PM
Most places charge £10 per wheel which for 5mins work is pretty good money

But I think you will agree that you would need to fill every minute of the working day with fitting other peoples tyres for it really to be good money.

Fitting one to five tyres a day isnt going to feed a family whilst paying rates, taxes, and business overheads.

I just this minute bought two tyres from a local Kwikfit garage. They were £10 more expensive for each tyre than Blackcircles.

I told them this...and the guy went away to find out if he could match the price.

He came back and before he told me if he could or not...I said..."I'm not asking you to match the price...what about going halfway?"

He said..."OK....you are a fair man!...for that...we won't scratch your wheels putting on the tyres :)...but why are you not screwing me to the floor with the price?"

I told him that I understood that although they will be making a killing on the tyres...everyone needs to make a profit....they were local...and I like dealing locally and keeping local people in work.

Turns out they have a new tyre fitting machine for fitting tyres to alloy wheels anyway.so When my 18"'s need new tyres....I've got a contact now.

mark

The Dogfather
1st December 2007, 06:59 PM
Mark, the point I was trying to make is that for the amount of time they spend fitting tyres from online retailers the return is pretty good. They have their own business model which keeps them afloat, this is extra business that may not have had.

Most tyre retailers like kwikfit make a lot of money from the ill-informed buyer. I remember one girl at work being charged £250 for an mild steel exhaust from Kwik Fit, the exhaust wouldn't have cost KwikFit £50, that's a pretty big mark up.

My view is if a business can't keep up with the competition then they shouldn't be in business regardless of whether they are local or not. A good example of a local garage doing well is Turriff Tyres, I used to live in Turriff, great prices, great service. If they stocked the tyres I was after I would asked them for a quote and I'm 290 miles away.

Sheilz
3rd December 2007, 03:55 PM
Hi VB,

Can you clarify for me. I use runflats. What do you recommend in this category given that there are very few snowy days but loads of wet uns up here in the NE?
Cheers.

The Dogfather
3rd December 2007, 05:25 PM
Sheilz, not an easy one to answer, as a second set I'd have recommended, based on what I've read, the Nokian WR tyres. However, Mytyres only do Runflat in 225 width, which I think might be a bit too wide for the MINI. Although they might fit........

Mytyres are listing Goodyear Eagles All Season Runflats which will cope with the cold, wet and light snow. Only £107 each.... Not sure how good these are though.

I should get my Nokians this week so I'll let you know how good they are soon.

If you weren't going to drive in the snow, didn't want runflats but wanted tyres for all year round then i'd have said Nokian NRYs which I'll be getting when the Preceda runout

The Dogfather
3rd December 2007, 05:29 PM
Sheilz, the MINI like the MX5 NC doesn't carry a spare (normally) but whereas the MINI uses Runflats the MX5 has gunk. If you must keep the runflats then I consider the Goodyears above.

If you're willing to leave the runflats then let me know I'll see if there's any recommendations for the MINI

Sheilz
4th December 2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks. Will have to be thinking of new ones afore too long though no immediate concern - I hope. The runflats can be deceptive. I'd a little encounter with a couple of traffic cops a few months ago. One of them gave the front tyres a cursory run over the outside rim with his hand. Jist as well he was only interested in the 60 note he was about to swipe out of my purse and wasnt too thorough in checking them otherwise he could've done me for having two bald tyres. Didnt realise they were done until one of the boys pointed out to that they's almost zero tread left, yet they looked fine side on.

vintageb3
5th December 2007, 08:11 AM
Mark, the point I was trying to make is that for the amount of time they spend fitting tyres from online retailers the return is pretty good. They have their own business model which keeps them afloat, this is extra business that may not have had.

I see the point you were making VB...but they would have made a greater return if they had sold the tyre AND fitted the tyre...and that was the point I was making. They won't make the profits they need fitting other peoples tyres. Also...what if they damage the tyre or wheel during fitting?...Does a £10 fitting cost cover that? I asked Kwikfit what would happen if they damaged my wheel during fitting and was told that they would cover costs to repair or replace the wheel. I don't think I could ask someone that was charging me a tenner the same question without knowing up front i would be told to get the hell out of their premises...after all...for a tenner a wheel...its a bloody favour!

Most tyre retailers like kwikfit make a lot of money from the ill-informed buyer. I remember one girl at work being charged £250 for an mild steel exhaust from Kwik Fit, the exhaust wouldn't have cost KwikFit £50, that's a pretty big mark up.

Yes, I accept that...but on this occasion...I used Kwikfit because I didn't think there was anyone better for my needs...and because of their brand new tyre fitting machine...I trusted them with my tyres...in fact...you could say "You can't get better than a KwikFit fitter...he's the one to trust":D (That took ages to set up you know~!!~!~)

Exhaust are not made from mild steel by the way...they are made of a cheap steel alloy...which makes them a bit difficult to weld....but I know what you are saying...cheap ****...and I bet the cost to Kwikfit was less than £50.00 too. I know that some exhausts only cost £30.00 (less cat)

Before I contacted Kwikfit...I could have bought my tyres from Blackcircles for £78.00 delivered each on special offer...then taken them to BMW to fit....but that would have meant a return journey of 16 miles...and losing two hours from my work day. Also would have had to hang around waiting for the tyres.

After I contacted Kwikfit...i saw the option of dropping off my wheels when i passed their door...which cost me five minutes time...and picking them up when I passed going home. On this occasion...it saved me money using Kwikfit and it helped out a business employing local people.

I normally use a local garage for my tyre needs....they are friends as well...and they told me to go on the net to save money for the runflats...and get them fitted elsewhere...because their machine is not up to fitting runflats on alloys.

I spend decent money on commercial tyres for both our vans with them...and they get all the repairs on all our vehicles...so losing a couple of tyres didn't upset them.

My view is if a business can't keep up with the competition then they shouldn't be in business regardless of whether they are local or not.

I assume that by using "keep up with competition" you mean on price alone?

I own two small businesses...and your statement is the kinda statement I would expect from someone that doesn't work and understand an independent, local or even small business.

I'm personally interested in supplying a good service, at a fair price to good and fair clientele and in doing so...make a profit to live by.

I'm not at all interested in being competitive in price with any other like business...local or otherwise. I would like to think we are competitive, but if it costs me £100.00 to do a job...that's what I have to charge.

If I thought some other business local or otherwise was supplying a better service, I would certainly look at the possibility of raising our standards by adopting their practices or bettering them.

I have work to mid March at present...so must be doing something right..or maybe I'm too cheap?..hmmm

I think its a pretty blinkered and uninformed view that you have on that point Vidal.

Every business has the right to trade, and not just on a competitive money orientated level.

I mean...where the hell would you think Andy Poole would be...have you heard how much he charges for a Hot Dog!!!!

:D

mark

The Dogfather
7th December 2007, 11:01 AM
Alan, can we move all the non tyre related stuff into another thread?

AndyP & Lenore
7th December 2007, 11:31 AM
Alan, can we move all the non tyre related stuff into another thread?

There ya go. There are other posts which kind of fall into the two threads, talking about the business side of fitting tyres. So as they discuss tyres - the main topic of this thread - I've left them in here.

Let me know if you want any other changes.

A.;)

The Dogfather
7th December 2007, 01:37 PM
Andy, thanks much appreciated.

Now Tyres...........

Anyone wanting some decent 'all temperature' tyres that fit a MINI should drop me an email. I've located some UK stock at reasonable prices.