PDA

View Full Version : Fuel...

zimbo
27th November 2007, 08:18 PM
OMG I honestly cannot get over how much fuel is now costing us over here, I mean I went and put my usual £20s worth in my car on saturday and I could not believe what I was reading on the pump. Unleaded 99.9!!!

And we havent even heard about any rolling road blocks or such, like we had a little while back. I particularly remember that time because I had been down seeing my cousins in Bath on my R6 and was on my home to Dundee and came upon one of the rolling road blocks on the M6 north bound, so worked my way through the very slow moving traffic all the way to the front and there were 3 artics one in each lane, they moved over enough to let me through and I had about 20-30 miles of empty M6 all to myself... :D I'll remember that day for the rest of my life.

I think ranting and raving over these prices is now LONG LONG over due. :mad:

Scottie
27th November 2007, 08:30 PM
try 113.90ppl on the Motorway services last week.:eek: :eek:

The Dogfather
27th November 2007, 09:08 PM
Here's a little theory I have, currently over 60-70% of the cost of petrol is tax, however the actual raw material is rapidly increasing going up. This is why we are seeing the prices rise rapidly. This is one of the key reasons inflation has also been climbing. High inflation, high interest rates, less spending then recession.

So how does the Government avoid high inflation? By reducing the tax burden on fuel, but how do you do that without damaging public services.

Simple, get the tax from another source, ladies and gentlemen may I inroduce - Road Congestion Charges.

Craig
27th November 2007, 09:18 PM
yeah, we have finally reached a £5 gallon. Never thought that would have happened when I started driving when I was paying £1.20 a gallon. and before anyone starts, I am less than 35 so not an old duffer. :D

duncan
27th November 2007, 09:20 PM
Yep, fuel is very expensive now.

However, what I don't get is, as the £ is at a high against the US$, and oil is priced in US$, how is this not offsetting the price rises.

Anyway, Taxation has to come from somewhere, and the tax on fuel is pretty much non-discriminating. You do lots of mileage, you pay more tax.

The Council Tax on the other hand, is a total joke. One person gets a 25% discount. Err, there's only 1 person. Shouldn't that be 50%?

Until that tax is sorted out first, and people with children actually pay for them, and not me, then I really don't care how much the fuel duty is.

Craig
27th November 2007, 09:25 PM
yeah and council tax is on the amount your house is worth, and not how many people live in the house. A house the exact same square footage as mine in the same street has 12 polish nationals living in it and despite the huge difference in how much water they use, rubbish they produce and services they use, they pay the same as my house with only 2 people in it.

not a fair system. :(

JCWmini
27th November 2007, 09:36 PM
yeah, we have finally reached a £5 gallon. Never thought that would have happened when I started driving when I was paying £1.20 a gallon. and before anyone starts, I am less than 35 so not an old duffer. :D

If your less than 35 and remember £1.20 a gallon then you started driving at about 12.

When i started drivng it was 35.9p/l thats £1.60 per gallon.

Gismo
27th November 2007, 09:36 PM
Lets not go down the Poll Tax road being fair :eek:

euan
27th November 2007, 09:43 PM
yeah and council tax is on the amount your house is worth,

Which may well be different from what you paid for it - why should I be pay more for buying what was at the tome an affordable house (or in my case, a small one bedroom flat!)

Anyway, since when has the taxation system been fair?

Petrol prices are mad at the moment, gone up what, 8ppl since October? Over 12,000 miles that makes it 960 quid more expensive. That's a lot!!!

AeroJonny
27th November 2007, 09:55 PM
I am less than 35 so not an old duffer. :D

Wanna bet??;);):p

duncan
27th November 2007, 09:58 PM
Lets not go down the Poll Tax road being fair :eek:

It was probably the fairest tax going. Everyone pays the same. How equal is that!

The problem with the Poll tax was certain elements, that didn't want to pay ANY tax shouted the loudest, and are still the same ones who try and duck out of paying the supposedly fairer Council Tax.

And as Euan posted, the tax system is rarely fair.

Craig
27th November 2007, 10:32 PM
Wanna bet??;);):p

easy tiger ! ;) :p

Gismo
27th November 2007, 10:49 PM
It was probably the fairest tax going. Everyone pays the same. How equal is that!
I said let's not go down this route :rolleyes:
To answer your question, everyone over the age of 16, whether in employment or not had to pay the tax, how do you do that on no income

KenL
27th November 2007, 10:50 PM
The Council Tax on the other hand, is a total joke. One person gets a 25% discount. Err, there's only 1 person. Shouldn't that be 50%?

No ;)

One person still requires their bin emptied, the same as a house with >1 person.

I am sure there are loads of other reasons for not giving a 50% discount.

I would go for a local income tax so everyone pays what their fair share. I would also force layabouts back to work :)

KenL
27th November 2007, 10:55 PM
Petrol prices are mad at the moment, gone up what, 8ppl since October? Over 12,000 miles that makes it 960 quid more expensive. That's a lot!!!

Surely not!

Please show me your sums!

A car doing 40mpg for 12 000 miles/year with petrol costs £5 per litre costs £1500 to fuel.

How did you get an 8ppm (36p/gallon) increase costing an extra £960?

Scottie
27th November 2007, 10:55 PM
We all know that the duty rate plus VAT makes up about 60.00ppl of the fuel we buy.

So that leaves 40.00ppl so x that by say 27000 litres = 10800 from that you have cost of product - administration costs - storage costs - transport costs + margin. The margin is on a good day 2.00ppl X that by the 27000 litres a profit 540 now that is not alot. Most of the profit nowadays is made in the shop.

There will come a day when you will see no major oil companies on the forecourt they will only sell wholesale mostly to supermarkets. You see that way they are still selling there product no loss in volume but they don't have any of the retail hassle.

KenL
27th November 2007, 10:57 PM

It was NOT fair.

Someone earning buttons was expected to pay the same as a consultant or a footballer earning 100x their wages - that ain't fair!

duncan
27th November 2007, 11:03 PM
Sorry Alan, but the whole point of the forum is to discuss things, and its in the OT&B section, so not breaking forum rules, and trying to stifle debate is a poor show. :rolleyes:

To answer the "no income" question, the level of benefits currently being paid, is considerably more than the 1980s. It should cover your outgoings, which includes any taxation.

I'm no tory, but why should the usual elements try and dodge paying anything?

duncan
27th November 2007, 11:04 PM
It was NOT fair.

Someone earning buttons was expected to pay the same as a consultant or a footballer earning 100x their wages - that ain't fair!

Thats what Income Tax is all about......

duncan
27th November 2007, 11:09 PM
No ;)

One person still requires their bin emptied, the same as a house with >1 person.

I am sure there are loads of other reasons for not giving a 50% discount.

I would go for a local income tax so everyone pays what their fair share. I would also force layabouts back to work :)

However this same house has half the rubbish to collect, and more importantly, half the rubbish to dispose of.

KenL
27th November 2007, 11:31 PM
However this same house has half the rubbish to collect, and more importantly, half the rubbish to dispose of.

It costs the same in fuel and manpower to collect the bin from a one person house as a two person house though.

duncan
27th November 2007, 11:34 PM
It costs the same in fuel and manpower to collect the bin from a one person house as a two person house though.

Disposal costs are at an all time high.

The Dogfather
27th November 2007, 11:56 PM
WTF, how did this get on to the poll tax? Never paid it, nobody noticed.

Anyway what about petrol then....

KenL
28th November 2007, 12:27 AM
WTF, how did this get on to the poll tax? Never paid it, nobody noticed.

Grassed ;)

That really p*ssed me off, the fact that loads of people got away with others being hunted down and details passed to sheriff officers.

Not getting at you, shampoo boy, honest ;)

Sheilz
28th November 2007, 12:52 AM
Sorry Alan, but the whole point of the forum is to discuss things, and its in the OT&B section, so not breaking forum rules, and trying to stifle debate is a poor show. :rolleyes:

To answer the "no income" question, the level of benefits currently being paid, is considerably more than the 1980s. It should cover your outgoings, which includes any taxation.

I'm no tory, but why should the usual elements try and dodge paying anything?

Hear! Hear! I swear to God I get so pissed off going into houses where they've never done an honest days work in their life and my eyes get dazzled fae the fancy TV, surround system etc etc. (jealous really coz I cant afford them)
I used to be a woolly left winger then I became a SW and now I'd like to round them up and well, this is a public forum so best to moderate my response. Just lets say I widna be nice to them :mad::mad:

I'd rather pay income tax too. My house would be badly hit but the principle of paying according to earnings appeals to me. Just seems fairer though no doubt it would be set far too high and cripple so many people. Council tax just now isn't far off the equivalent of another mortgage:mad::mad:
And I think it should be applied to every income irrespective of it being benefits or pension. Let them eat cake:eek: And lets not forget pocket money tax it too;):D:D

Sheilz
28th November 2007, 12:55 AM
Ha ha I forgot :o I was £1.09 per litre last time I fuelled up :eek: Woman at petrol station said she'd heard its going to rise to about £1.50 per litre by June/July next year :eek::eek:

Where's those lorry drivers.................

Gismo
28th November 2007, 01:17 AM
Eh, what you talking about ?? i never said anyone was breaking any rules in here :eek: and i'm certainly not trying to stifle any debate, what i said about the poll tax was tongue in cheek cause i knew it was gonna go on and on and on :D

Scottie
28th November 2007, 08:58 AM
Actually I think council tax is most unfair for our pensioners.

stoney
28th November 2007, 03:00 PM
well i put in some v power last night it was 1.06ppl i think it is shoking the price of petrol !!!!!

also this therd is ment 2 be about petrol prices not stupid tax !!!!!

euan
28th November 2007, 03:21 PM
Ken

OK - I'm talking rubbish - I'd been in the pub and my maths was a bit off ;-)

Between 91.9 and 99.9 I reckon I'm about £200 quid a year worse off (based on 15,000 miles and getting 31MPG)

euan
28th November 2007, 03:25 PM
I'd also add that have a look at this website which uses the data from fuel cards to work out the petrol cost in the area.

www.petrolprices.com

Stick in some places and see the difference in cost - the average cost near me in London in 2ppl more than it is in Aberdeen and Edinburgh, and the most expensive unleaded petrol near me is 107.9! Super U is 119.9!!!!

I signed up to their email update, tells you the cheapest place to get petrol in your area (within 5 miles) - very useful.

illegalhunter
28th November 2007, 07:28 PM
£56 to fill my R 298 miles

duncan
28th November 2007, 08:42 PM
Eh, what you talking about ?? i never said anyone was breaking any rules in here :eek: and i'm certainly not trying to stifle any debate, what i said about the poll tax was tongue in cheek cause i knew it was gonna go on and on and on :D

Sarcastic smileys didn't help Alan :p

duncan
28th November 2007, 08:45 PM
I'd also add that have a look at this website which uses the data from fuel cards to work out the petrol cost in the area.

www.petrolprices.com (http://www.petrolprices.com)

Stick in some places and see the difference in cost - the average cost near me in London in 2ppl more than it is in Aberdeen and Edinburgh, and the most expensive unleaded petrol near me is 107.9! Super U is 119.9!!!!

I signed up to their email update, tells you the cheapest place to get petrol in your area (within 5 miles) - very useful.

Been using this for a while, and now drive out to Birkhill to the Co-op Shell garage for the cheapest V-Power.

At about 5ppl less than the nearest Shell/BP garage it's quite a saving for an extra 5 minute detour.

Big Gordy
29th November 2007, 09:27 AM
£56 to fill my R 298 miles

Jings:eek: You don't get many miles for your money do you:(298 miles for £56:confused: 60 quid gets me about 650 miles in the A4......thats double what your getting:p :D

euan
29th November 2007, 10:15 AM
My 320 (2.2litre engine) gives me 360miles for similar money which hurts.

I paid 104.9 on the M40 for unleaded last night which was scary!!!

The Dogfather
29th November 2007, 10:22 AM
I'm getting 300 miles for £42 in the MX5, and I don't hang around.

illegalhunter
29th November 2007, 07:00 PM
Jings:eek: You don't get many miles for your money do you:(298 miles for £56:confused: 60 quid gets me about 650 miles in the A4......thats double what your getting:p :DIve got a company fuel card, dont care about the MPG