PDA

View Full Version : RWD! Winter Tyres, yes or no

The Dogfather
26th November 2007, 09:21 PM
This question is aimed more at the Rear Wheel Drive car owners. I've managed to source from Fleabay a set of four alloys wheels, same as the standard ones. I bought them because I was think of having a set of winter tyres lined ready to put on the MX5 when there's a chance of snow. I know from my last MX5 that they don't do well in the snow on normal tyres. In fact it would be better to park up and walk.

The question is does anyone have any experience of winter tyres and: -
* Are they worth putting on the car now?
* Is it best to just stick them on when it snows?
* Are they a waste of money?
* I'm looking at Nokian WR G2s are they any good? They're Finish BTW.

Welcome any advice. We don't get as much snow as Aberdeen but I've got a 70 mile round trip and we live at the top of a steep 850ft hill so I don't really want to chance my luck.

Scottie
26th November 2007, 09:23 PM
Nokian are very good and rated high by the 4x4 drivers.

What size tyres are you looking at as I know it can be difficult to get true winter tyres in many sizes.

Big Gordy
26th November 2007, 09:28 PM
They're Finish BTW

Would you not be better buying a set that are not finished:eek:...ooooooh so sorry you mean FINNISH:rolleyes: ie from Finland:p:D

Sorry Vidal.........couldn't resist...!!!

The Dogfather
26th November 2007, 09:34 PM
Would you not be better buying a set that are not finished:eek:...ooooooh so sorry you mean FINNISH:rolleyes: ie from Finland:p:D

Sorry Vidal.........couldn't resist...!!!

Well spotted :o schoolboy error.........

Fi, my car has the same size tyres as the MINI but it can take both 225/45-17 and 215/45-17s as well.

I'm looking at 215/45-17s at the moment cost £83.40 from mytyres

Craig
26th November 2007, 09:46 PM
not had a rear wheel drive car however when Jude had her Rav4 we put on Goodyear AT/R tyres and they made a big difference in the snow. maybe not the same but thought it may be of use

:D :D

euan
26th November 2007, 10:08 PM
Well, my view as a rear wheel drive owner is that it depends on your situation. For me, living in London, where it hardly ever snows and if it does it's gone in an hour, it's totally not worth it. All my tyres are have loads of tread left, although it's the width of the tyres that are the real problem. However, if I lived in Aberdeen, I'd totally be doing it.

My brother just doesn't drive his RX8 when there is a slight chance of really bad weather, but then he does have a Mini as a backup ;) We only have the one car, so we'd be stuck.

If you can get a good deal and it gives you confidence that your not going to get stuck somewhere, then it's money well spent. In my experience though there are very few days when you would really need it.

euan
26th November 2007, 10:09 PM
Also, if you live at the top of a hill, would it make any odds if you have snow tyres anyway if it's that steep?

The Dogfather
26th November 2007, 10:20 PM
Also, if you live at the top of a hill, would it make any odds if you have snow tyres anyway if it's that steep?

It's not exactly the North Face of the Eiger ;) whichever way you go up there's at least a couple of steep stretches but my old MX5 couldn't climb a pimple in the snow.

Its also about the journey down though most snow arrives overnight, and by the end of the day the gritters have done their job and most of the roads are clear......

Big Gordy
27th November 2007, 09:28 AM
Well spotted :o schoolboy error.........

Fi, my car has the same size tyres as the MINI but it can take both 225/45-17 and 215/45-17s as well.

I'm looking at 215/45-17s at the moment cost £83.40 from mytyres

I think your main issue will be with the width if your going to stick with 17's:eek: I think 215 are a bit on the wide side for winter tyres :confused: Winter tyres work best if they can get down through the top layer of snow and bite into whats underneath. Just look at the rally cars tyres when there in the snow.....there super skinny:eek: I know they have studs as well for the ice but even there gravel tyres are quite skinny:rolleyes: The middle section of England does seem to have suffered badly with heavy snow the last couple of winters so I think you will have loads of oppertunities to use them if you get them;) I would check out the width issue tho before I splashed out on a set if I were you:D

Moonshine
27th November 2007, 09:42 AM
i had 17" summer tires on the mini at 214/40/17, but went to 185/65/15 for the winter tires. The narrower the better for snow performance. All that bee nsaid, I've seen plenty of pictures of porkers and ferarris and lambos in the alps withwinter tyres on and they must be 250 sections upward, and they worked....the important thig is the compound and tread.

They make a huge difference and got me over the A66 on an arctic feb night.

euan
27th November 2007, 09:52 AM
My old man's X5 was tricky in the snow, and it had massive width (road) tyres on them. So much that his classic mini was my weapon of choice in the snow!

Big Gordy
27th November 2007, 11:34 AM
So much that his classic mini was my weapon of choice in the snow!

Me and the kids, when they were younger, had sooooooooooooooo much fun in the snow when I had my mini city X:D Used to do a "Russ Swift" into the layby at the front of the house and they thought it was great:D :cool:

The Dogfather
27th November 2007, 02:36 PM
I've decided on 215/45R17 as I managed to pick up cheap alloys and the tyres themselves are cheaper. The winter tread is designed to grip in the snow rather than cut through it, or so I believe. With normal tyres you go wider to cut through though.

Big Gordy
27th November 2007, 02:46 PM
The winter tread is designed to grip in the snow rather than cut through it, or so I believe.
You could be right there...as long as the tread has a kind of self cleaning action to stop the spaces getting clogged up with snow:cool: I believe there made of a lot softer compound as well (I think Fi said that already tho:o )

With normal tyres you go wider to cut through though.
But does wider not usually "float on" rather than cut through:eek:I thought it was the other way round:rolleyes: Is wider not for more grip in the dry:D

AeroJonny
27th November 2007, 05:15 PM
Good choice ;)

I'd consider winter tyres, but we don't get enough snow in these parts...well not for my liking anyway!

The Dogfather
27th November 2007, 06:54 PM
Gordy, I did mean narrower, I was rushing between meetings that's my excuse. It's a bit early for senility, I'm only 21......