PDA

View Full Version : gearbox

kmair
23rd February 2004, 06:07 PM
:disapprove:

Had a MOD since it was released last year, however since the colder and damper weather has set in I am having increasing problems with the gear shift. It is ok once the car has heated up however this can be time consuming.

Is there anyone out there in Scotland experiencing the same problems I have been told that there are similar problems in USA and Canada but none reported in GB.

KenL
23rd February 2004, 06:21 PM
The gearbox in the ONE D is the same as the S (I think) so maybe S owners could also comment since there are not too many Ds about yet.

Willie M
23rd February 2004, 09:15 PM
I've always found the 6-speed gearbox a lot 'notchier' than the 5-speed but I've never experienced any real problems.

What specific problems are you having kmair? Is the gearbox refusing to engage a gear or is it jumping out of gear as you're driving? Certainly sounds like a trip to the dealers is in order though, get them to check it out.

kmair
24th February 2004, 02:02 AM
Sorry for not making my self clear.

The gearbox does in fact appear to become frozen on the coldest nights and you can only get into gear once it has defrosted.

Its an unforunate and frustrating problem 'cause its a great car when running.

It has in fact been back to the dealership no less than 5 times (and is currently with them).

Mini UK are denying having ever heard of such a problem

KenL
24th February 2004, 05:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by kmair

Sorry for not making my self clear.

The gearbox does in fact appear to become frozen on the coldest nights and you can only get into gear once it has defrosted.

Its an unforunate and frustrating problem 'cause its a great car when running.

It has in fact been back to the dealership no less than 5 times (and is currently with them).

Mini UK are denying having ever heard of such a problem

Wonder if it could have the wrong gearbox oil in it? Do you know if the dealer has checked/replaced it?

Is it stiff moving it across neutral or just getting it into a gear?

When I had an S courtesy car I found it tough to get into reverse at first but then you say it is OK once warmed up.

Willie M
24th February 2004, 09:16 PM
Certainly sounds kinda serious, not just the normal notchy gearbox when cold. I'd certainly shout a bit more at the dealer or even have a word with MINI UK customer services. Somethin' ain't right :disapprove:

seany
24th February 2004, 09:40 PM
welcome to the site karen, got a cooper and a cooper s no problems.

kmair
25th February 2004, 07:37 PM
Car is with the dealer at the moment, Mini UK have instructed them to replace the gearbox. We'll see if this solves the problem.

I'm just a little p****d off with the way Mini UK and the dealer have denied this being a known fault, all be it in USA.

Willie M
25th February 2004, 11:09 PM
Good to hear their taking care of things though Karen. A new gearbox should hopefully do the trick.

Quik_Mini
5th March 2004, 06:23 PM
It is quite clearly a known fault in this country also, my old mini used to do it, the one I have now used to do it, and my g/f's best friends mini does it lol. :D

Hope you get it all sorted out :)

kmair
5th March 2004, 07:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Quik_Mini

It is quite clearly a known fault in this country also, my old mini used to do it, the one I have now used to do it, and my g/f's best friends mini does it lol. :D

Hope you get it all sorted out :)
How was the problem with your current Mini sorted out?
I have had a new gearbox fitted, however due to the milder weather I am unsure whether this has done the trick and MINI UK are still denying there is a known problem