PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or XBOX 360

Gordons_cooper_wrks
24th November 2007, 09:15 PM
As the title says........................ I was an all round machine for hd dvd playing and gameing. Also where is the cheapest and best place to buy one? I have a ps2 just now so i would like to be able to still play my current games if i got the ps3 that is obv! Does anywhere take ps2 as trade ins against new games machines?

cheers

N12 JLK
24th November 2007, 09:40 PM
Go for a Wii, so much fun:)

AndyP & Lenore
24th November 2007, 10:46 PM
Gordon, Game will take your PS2 in as a trade in. Not sure what you'll get for it though. PS2's are pretty cheap these days.

Obviously there's a huge back catalogue on the Xbox 360 with it being out for so much linger than the PS3, but I have to say I love my PS3. I don't get the chance to play it anything like as much as I'd like, but the 6Axis controller is great (in the right game) and the graphics are absolutely mind blowing.

The PS3 will play any Blu Ray movies, but be warned, after the PS3 console has been switched on for more than 30 minutes, the cooling fan is very very very loud indeed. Very annoying if watching a movie. TBH, we will be going for a Blu Ray/HD DVD dual player as soon as they are a more sensible price.

Edit: Wii.... Great console. But very basic graphics. Lots of fun though. But none of the games are as deep as the PS3.

A.;)

Sheilz
25th November 2007, 12:50 AM
Nik's asked for a Wii for Christmas but after he told me that windows have got smashed and people been injured playing with them I'm not so sure. Suppose could get a grille put over his window just in case :D:D:D

jamesbeaumont
25th November 2007, 02:30 AM
PS3 for me; you wont be getting Gran Turismo 5 on the XBox, take a look at the preview pics, astonishing! Also just to add, beware that the cheaper PS3 (40GB) doesnt play the PS2 games that you'll have only the £50 more expensive 60GB model will:)

AndyP & Lenore
25th November 2007, 03:01 AM
Nik's asked for a Wii for Christmas but after he told me that windows have got smashed and people been injured playing with them I'm not so sure. Suppose could get a grille put over his window just in case :D:D:D

Wii's can be a bit dodgy if you're not careful. But as long as you don't get carried away and keep the wrist strap tight, you shouldn't have any problems.

In our living room we have a ceiling fan with pull chains to control it. Lenore's only hit them twice and walloped my arm once playing tennis, so we're not doing too bad.:D

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
25th November 2007, 03:03 AM
PS3 for me; you wont be getting Gran Turismo 5 on the XBox, take a look at the preview pics, astonishing! Also just to add, beware that the cheaper PS3 (40GB) doesnt play the PS2 games that you'll have only the £50 more expensive 60GB model will:)

Played the Demo of GT5. Awful beyond description. Looks lovely, but the control of the vehicles was so bad I played for 20 mins and gave up in complete frustration. Now that may be because it was an unfinished demo, or it could just be a GT thing. Never played any other GT's so I've no frame of reference. But I won't be buying the game unless another free demo becomes available for download and it is significantly improved.

A.;)

Gismo
25th November 2007, 10:22 AM
Also take into consideration what games you want to play, if you want Halo 3 then it's the xBox 360, but, i would defo say the PS3 has far superior graphics

Gismo
25th November 2007, 10:23 AM
Nik's asked for a Wii for Christmas
Good luck finding one :eek:

zimbo
25th November 2007, 08:54 PM
Got myself a PS3 about a month or so ago and its brilliant, got it because I've been a playstation fan ever since getting the original one. Got the 60 GB version so that I could play my PS2 games, seeing as the newer 40GB versions wont play them. And also because my favourite game of all time is Grand Turismo and always has been and I am so SO looking forward to GRAND TURISMO 5.

I dont have an HD telly yet so cant get the full effect of the games or the blu-ray videos yet, but so far playing games on my analogue telly things are pretty good, so when i finally get an HD LCD/Plasma telly I can only imagine what its going to be like... :D:p

Mmmmm going to maybe have to treat myself to something nice for christmas lol.

Gismo
25th November 2007, 10:49 PM
I dont have an HD telly yet so cant get the full effect of the games or the blu-ray videos
Be careful when you do purchase a digital telly, not all have the HDMI input that is a defo requirement for the best effects :eek:
Some manufacturers will quote digital telly that only has a freeview tuner inside, so, make sure you get right one
The best an xBox360 can go is component with a toslink cable for the surrond sound, still very good graphics, but, not as good as true HDMI :)

Burple
25th November 2007, 11:11 PM
Also take into consideration what games you want to play, if you want Halo 3 then it's the xBox 360, but, i would defo say the PS3 has far superior graphics

I'm just gonna say two things..

Halo3! Just finished it last night. Awesome.

Project Gotham racing 4! Best racing game there is. maybe not as involving as the GT games, but you can just pick it up and play it anytime :cool:

...and remember none of the developers are getting the full potential of either of the next gen consoles yet ;):D

Next on my list will be this.. http://www.acecombatsix.com/ :cool::D

Sheilz
25th November 2007, 11:24 PM
Good luck finding one :eek:

just in case anyone's looking for a Wii, Amazon is currently registering 68 consoles new and used.

Afa dear though, or am I just a grip!? ;):D:D

Gismo
25th November 2007, 11:39 PM
I'm just gonna say two things..

Halo3! Just finished it last night. Awesome
Me and Jase are playing that, as you say, awesome game :cool: :D

Gismo
25th November 2007, 11:41 PM
just in case anyone's looking for a Wii, Amazon is currently registering 68 consoles new and used.

Afa dear though, or am I just a grip!? ;):D:D
Aint no way i'm paying that price :eek: £275 is the cheapest, rip off merchants, they sell for £179 in Argos etc when they have them in stock, i'll wait until after crimbo

Bazthemod
26th November 2007, 12:47 AM
Ali, when you need a TV you know where to come :p;):D

Sheilz
26th November 2007, 02:16 AM
Aint no way i'm paying that price :eek: £275 is the cheapest, rip off merchants, they sell for £179 in Argos etc when they have them in stock, i'll wait until after crimbo

Amen! Think at nineteen the loon should be able to bear up to the disappointment. Besides its about time he found out that Suntie's elves canna make everything. Suppose one way around it though would be to double his board money :D:D:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
26th November 2007, 02:28 AM
Next on my list will be this.. http://www.acecombatsix.com/ :cool::D

OOOOOOooohhhhhhh. Is that gonna come out on the PS3? Looks good.:D

A.;)

Burple
26th November 2007, 01:34 PM
OOOOOOooohhhhhhh. Is that gonna come out on the PS3? Looks good.:D

A.;)

Apparently it will be.. in a fwe months.. It's an Xbox Exclusive launch, but it will get there soon... and it might look even better!

I've got a older Ace combat on the PS2, and Over G Fighters for the Xbox..

The Xbox one looks miles better, but plays rubbish, while the PS2 one done's look so great, but plays miles better.... Hopefully this will bring out the best of both! :cool::cool:
<digs out Top Gun soundtrack>

/Feel the need... the need for Speed!!
//Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa.. Jester's dead...
///Ego's writing cheques your body can't cash..
////Ghostrider requesting flyby... Negative ghostrider, the pattern's full...etc.etc.etc..

...I'll get me coat...

s12cot
26th November 2007, 02:20 PM
playing Medal of honor on the Wii - great game, cool using the two controlers...

Burple
26th November 2007, 03:42 PM
playing Medal of honor on the Wii - great game, cool using the two controlers...

If you like that, try Resident Evil 4! It's awesome!!! Far better fun than the crappy PS2 controllers!! :cool::cool::D:D

Big Col
26th November 2007, 03:44 PM
I notice in your question Gordon you said you were wanting an HD DVD player. It's worth noting you'd have to buy a separate HD DVD player if you wanted to play HD DVDs through the 360. They're about £100 I think.

zimbo
26th November 2007, 07:09 PM
Ali, when you need a TV you know where to come :p;):D

He he... :D am waiting to see if the prices for 1080p flat screens fall 1st, coz they are still WAYYYY 2 expensive as far as I am concerned, but you never know my hand and my wallet might get the better of my tiny brain... :p

AndyP & Lenore
26th November 2007, 07:46 PM
He he... :D am waiting to see if the prices for 1080p flat screens fall 1st, coz they are still WAYYYY 2 expensive as far as I am concerned, but you never know my hand and my wallet might get the better of my tiny brain... :p

Empire Direct have a very nice Hitachi Plasma which handles 1080P for £599. Very nice unit which now adorns the wall in my living room.

A.:D