PDA

View Full Version : Run Flat Tyres

cooper-chick
20th November 2007, 07:48 PM
Hey,

I was juts wondering. I have a 55 plate mini cooper s and it came with run flat tyres. When changing the tyres do i have to use run flats or can i use ordinary ones :confused: HELP:confused:

Vicki

Sweeney
20th November 2007, 07:50 PM
You can use both run flats or normal tyres, just make sure the profiles etc are the same.

Also, whoever is doing the tyres for you, might be worth getting a little background feedback as some places really wreck your alloys when trying to remove run flats, some may not have appropriate equipment either (rare nowadays though)

If you go for normal, theres always the issue of punctures etc

cooper-chick
20th November 2007, 07:55 PM
So even though i have like a light that comes on on my console when i have a puncture with run flats.....would it not stay on if i had ordinary ones :confused:

Sweeney
20th November 2007, 07:58 PM
Oh yeah, the indicator will work no problem... But if you get a puncture that won't hold air for a certain amount of time your pretty snookered whereas (although my experience with them im not convinced) run flats can go that wee bit distance completely flat.

My last 3 punctures have all been screws that have only leaked 10-12psi a day (1 was a slow puncture though hardly noticable) so i could fill them with air and run on them. Also run flats have a much tougher sidewall so its unlikely youll get a cut sidewall etc whereas normal tyres can be damaged easier, if you get a cut sidewall on any tyre your up that famous creek anyway lol

Im currently on normal tyres, carry no space saver/spare, 2 cans of tyre seal and a tyre plug thing... Haven't had to use any of the stuff yet mind you so *touch wood*.

Craig
20th November 2007, 08:03 PM
As Sweeney says, make sure you get a garage that has the equipment to deal with Run-Flats.

it's your choice re run-flats or non-runflats. I prefer proper std tyres, just because of ride quality and grip. It's completely your choice (don't want this to turn into a huge run-flats v std tyres thread).;)

Zimbo or Low'n'loud may be able to tell you where in Dundee area is good for this as it is their neck of the woods, OH or ajamesj as he works in a car accessory shop. :D

cooper-chick
20th November 2007, 08:04 PM
OK i will keep that in mind LOL :D

Thank you :)

Sweeney
20th November 2007, 08:06 PM
Personally i'd say, go for it! ;)

ajamesj
20th November 2007, 08:23 PM
I replaced all my run flats with std tyres on my S spokes and it was fine.

Andy

Sheilz
21st November 2007, 02:11 AM
I'm not saying yeah or nay, old enough to drive, old enough to decide for yourself. Just wanted to add that the runflats do work. Can't remember how many sets ago my runflat light kept coming on while I kept pumping up an obviously faulty tyre. I drove from Montrose to Abz, embarrassingly slow I have to say, and not till next day did I discover a sodding great gash on the inside of a rear tyre. Dont know at what point in the journey a puncture became a gaping wound but those tyres got me home in one piece. I compare that to an earlier puncture/blowout in a rear tyre with the primera and the bl**dy job I had to slow down and manouvre into the central reservation. In the minutes, maybe two or three, it took to limp the car to a safe halt the damage was unbelievable.

The Dogfather
21st November 2007, 07:28 AM
I've owned a MINI, 2 x Audi A2 and my current MX5 which have all had the gunk compressor setup. To be honest I think this arrangement is preferable to a spare.

Jackie had a puncture in the Smart the other month on the A1, the flat was on the side facing the traffic. Anyway I went out to help her but I soon realised that attempting to change the wheel was far too risky so a quick call to the AA was needed.

However if we had runflats she could have least made it to a garage for a replacement. But, most runflats need to be binned if you've driven any distance and also they're difficult/impossible to repair. Not to mention the poor ride/handling discussion.

Personally, I'd go with the gunk and if it doesn't work make sure you've got the AA/RAC as a back up.

Sweeney
21st November 2007, 08:19 AM
Run flats can be repaired just like any other tyre, only if you run on them flat it is suggested its binned

KenL
21st November 2007, 11:54 PM
How can the gunk be preferable to a spare?

If it is too risky to repair a tyre at the side of the road, if it not also too risky to be trying to use the gunk?

I've had a puncture once where a bolt went right through the sidewall of a tyre, no idea how, but with a spare, you can change it, gunk would not have fixed it.

I have runflats & a spare. Will probably go for more runflats when they need replacing.

Main reason is that I do not want some cr*p from MINI dealers when/if I decide to trade the car in.