PDA

View Full Version : DVLA - and Number retentions

Scottie
19th November 2007, 11:44 PM
Always a nightmare.

As you know I got myself a E46.

The V5 came through in my name. I wanted to put my reg DO51GGY on the car.

However when I looked out the retention certificate it was in Allan's name and I was not named as a nominee.

So I thought I would need to either change the V5 or put my name as a nominee on the retention certificate. Which meant either way takes a couple of weeks.

Allan decided he would pop in to the DVLA in Edinburgh while he was in that area to see if they could help speed things up.

Well RESULT took 10mins and got the number and new tax disc on my E46 by changing the V5 into to Allan's name.

Dealers tell us it takes at least a couple weeks well it took us 10 mins.:D

Scottie
19th November 2007, 11:45 PM
Oh and I should add it didn't cost a penny.:D Although I'm thinking that's because I paid to put it back on retention back in August.

Craig
19th November 2007, 11:46 PM
well, you are just lucky as everytime I have been in, they have been toooo busy and always ask you to leave the stuff with them, normally takes about 8 to 10 days (in my experience)

think you should buy a lottery ticket. :D

Scottie
19th November 2007, 11:49 PM
really never had a problem been a few times now.;) :rolleyes:

I thought they would insist that we get one of the documents changed first before we could assign the number.

duncan
Dundee DVLA office is great. Never had a bother with them when changing plates.

Plus, its right beside my work, so nipping in is very easy.

Craig
Oh and I should add it didn't cost a penny.:D Although I'm thinking that's because I paid to put it back on retention back in August.

yeah, the retention certificate price includes the ability to have it put back onto a vehicle for no additonal charge, however £105 for what is just a bit of paperwork is a bit much... :(

Scottie
19th November 2007, 11:51 PM
yeah, the retention certificate price includes the ability to have it put back onto a vehicle for no additonal charge, however £105 for what is just a bit of paperwork is a bit much... :(

yeah but it costs something like £25 to put a nominee on the retention.

Craig
19th November 2007, 11:52 PM
yeah, but as you said, you changed the details on the V5 which is free.. :D

Big Gordy
20th November 2007, 12:00 AM
As you know I got myself a E46.

The V5 came through in my name. I wanted to put my reg DO51GGY on the car.

Showing my ignorance here but is the E46 an older 3 series:confused:
If so how old:confused:
If its OLDER than March 2001 then you can't put it on as its against the law to make your car younger than it actually is.........but you knew this already, right:rolleyes::D

Scottie
20th November 2007, 12:07 AM
Showing my ignorance here but is the E46 an older 3 series:confused:
If so how old:confused:
If its younger than March 2001 then you can't put it on as its against the law to make your car younger than it actually is.........but you knew this already, right:rolleyes::D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yes a E46 is a older BMW from about 1999/2000 up to 2006 I think.

shouldn't you have said if my car was older than March 2001:confused: :confused: I couldn't put the number on.

Now dinnae teach your Granny how to suck eggs.:p :p

Big Gordy
20th November 2007, 12:14 AM
Your eyes must be going girl:eek::rolleyes::D

AndyP & Lenore
20th November 2007, 12:23 AM
We've always had a two to three week delay on DVLA reg transfers.

I really don't think it's the dealers telling us porkies though. At the end of the day, if they are waiting on a tax disc coming through for a transfer, they're waiting to put a sale out to the customer, and there's no reason for them to hold back on that.

I think next time, we'll just drive up ourselves and chance our luck over the counter.

A.;)

Colin
20th November 2007, 12:26 AM
Had plenty of dealings with Edinburgh DVLA when I was registering my kit car, and had no probs. They issued me with a brand new reg number there and then. Went back in the very next day and they had my tax disc ready. Also went smoothly when I did a cherished transfer from my Honda to my MINI. :)

AndyP & Lenore
20th November 2007, 12:31 AM
OK. Next time I'm gonna get either Fi or Colin to do my transfer.;)

A.:D