PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Last Night

The Dogfather
19th November 2007, 11:59 AM
Really good last night, OK the alfa test was a bit pants but loved the Motorhome racing.

But, wow didn't they lay into the new Type R. Wouldn't like to have just traded my car in for one of those :eek:..........

bpirie1000
19th November 2007, 12:41 PM
New type R Should have had a re think before it was launched...

would have thought they would learn by launching the Entry level one first But no...

Sweeney
19th November 2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah was surprised at the slating they gave it, still wouldn't deter me to get one.

Although Tiff loved it on 5th gear, so who knows... its certainly easy to make ANY car look bad...

euan
19th November 2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah was surprised at the slating they gave it, still wouldn't deter me to get one.

Although Tiff loved it on 5th gear, so who knows... its certainly easy to make ANY car look bad...

At the end of the day, it's better looking, better equipped and more comfortable than the last one. On the very limit of handling without independant suspension, yes it's not going to be as good but how many people actually drive it that hard all the time?

Wouldn't put me off it at all.

The Dogfather
19th November 2007, 01:30 PM
I think the fact that its slower and has a far worse ride (less comfortable) would people off. Afterall a lot of the appeal of these types of cars are in the braging rights rather than the real driving ability.

BTW, remember 5 get a lot of money from advertising so they're not likely to really slag any car off. Plus, they've said that the Civic is the best car in it's class, although that was the non cooking version.

Having seen the lap the Civic did it was understeering like crazy, safe but no fun at all. At least the MINI gives you a bit of lift-off oversteer, well my Cooper did anyway.

ianking
19th November 2007, 01:50 PM

Does 5th gear ever say anything negative about a car. I think they are too scared of the manufacturers to ever say anything bad as they might not get cars from them to test in the future. It might be because 5th gear is no where near as big as top gear.

The Dogfather
19th November 2007, 02:26 PM
Also Top Gear has about 5 times as many viewers

euan
19th November 2007, 02:35 PM
Now, here's something interesting.

For all the abuse it got, the new car did it in 1.33. The old car, accoring to the website, did it in 1.36.5. I assume it was a wet lap?

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

The Dogfather
19th November 2007, 02:54 PM
Now, here's something interesting.

For all the abuse it got, the new car did it in 1.33. The old car, accoring to the website, did it in 1.36.5. I assume it was a wet lap?

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

Must have been as they raced the two together and the new car couldn't keep up

JCWmini
19th November 2007, 07:10 PM
I cant remember it being in the wet, but could be wrong, might just be a case of cr@ppy journalism.

Wouldnt really ecpect anything less from TG. Its more a question of what makes an entertaning program than good motoring journalism.

KenL
19th November 2007, 11:46 PM
Where's Deerslayer :D

TBH, I never don't believe much that Clarkson says, he's a first class twit at times :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
20th November 2007, 12:20 AM
Where's Deerslayer :D

Was wondering that myself Ken.:D :D :D

A.

The Dogfather
20th November 2007, 07:32 AM
Well Fifth Gear like the car yet Top Gear slated it.

Personally I think Honda have been more than a bit lazy with the new Type R. They've added weight but no extra power, its like the mk3 Golf GTI all over again. Must have had their F1 designer on the case, is the new Type R available in the Earth Car livery?

Couldn't they have mass produced the S2000 engine and used that instead?

There's one group of people who are very happy at the moment though, Mk1 Type R owners. I bet the prices for the Type R Version 1 will climb as well.

Say what you like about Clarkson but his outbursts usually get noticed, the Vectra C is so much better than the Vectra B that JC famously slagged off. I reckon the next Type R will be awesome.

mini saltire
20th November 2007, 11:27 AM
Top Gear can make or break a car that they review. When it comes to handling I would tend to listen to Tiff instead of Clarkson but when it comes to most other niggles Clarkson seems to have the voice of reason. I remember when I worked for Land Rover and the Disco 3 was launched. There wasn't a great deal of interest untill....... Clarkson drove one up a mountain!! No Joke, we had 6 people in the showroom the next morning at 8:30 fighting for test drives.

I would put money on it though, that few people who saw that show would part with cash for new Type R now.

Motorhome racing..... that looked awesome fun!! Anyone got a spare £700000 for the nice one at the end. Could imagine the faces at Knockhill if I rolled up in that and slid the Mini out from underneath...:cool: :cool:
Dear Santa.........

Big Gordy
20th November 2007, 11:34 AM
Could imagine the faces at Knockhill if I rolled up in that and slid the Mini out from underneath...:cool: :cool:
Dear Santa.........

It would need a major roof chop to fit in the space tho:eek: On the other hand it would go in OK after the race:p ;) :D

KenL
20th November 2007, 06:10 PM
I know Clarkson's words carry a lot of weight. He just seems so over the top a lot of the time.

I don't think anyone else gave the new type-R such a poor review - but then, maybe their advertising revenue is more important than speaking the truth ;)

mini saltire
20th November 2007, 06:23 PM
It would need a major roof chop to fit in the space tho:eek: On the other hand it would go in OK after the race:p ;) :D

:D :D :D :D

weefossy
22nd November 2007, 10:57 PM
Test drove the new Honda and didn't like it, never got the driving position right. As said on previous posts have driven Neil's old type R on many occassions (especially when he's offshore) and it is superb. It loved the Nurburgring

jamesbeaumont
22nd November 2007, 11:21 PM
http://blog.autospeed.com/2007/09/24/one-reason-i-dont-think-much-of-the-type-r-civic/
Ive read several grillings of the 07 type r. I can see why; 1400 kgs and no torque = bad combo! Its as Jeremy said if you dont feel like revving the nuts off it, you aint going anywhere fast:p