PDA

View Full Version : House insurance - a lesson learnt!

euan
16th November 2007, 11:13 AM
Get this. Our house insurance is with a certain company with the red phone logo ;). They automatically renewed our cover when it expired - we were on holiday and it got lost in the mountain of mail. We realised later that the payments were WAY up on the previous year. I phoned them just now to cancel (you can cancel most home policies with a months notice - I never knew that till recently) as I found Esure to be half the price of it. Woman on the phone asked if they could lower the premium, would I stay? So she goes off and comes back with the exact same cost as Esure - half the existing premium for the price of a phone call!

So, public service announcement of the day - check you house insurance policy in the same way we all do our cars!!

FergusM
16th November 2007, 11:26 AM
I made similar mistake, stuck with same provider for a few years...and when I actually checked got a new quote was shocked how much I could save. Now I shop around each year.

Big Gordy
16th November 2007, 11:42 AM
Same happened to us:( When I told them they could stuff it they brought it down by nearly 200 quid:eek: Claimed they were just rolling out this new service:rolleyes: New service my arse:mad: At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed you:rolleyes: :D

Gismo
16th November 2007, 02:10 PM
I look to change every year and end up staying put having played the best price game :)

AndyP & Lenore
16th November 2007, 02:20 PM
I look to change every year and end up staying put having played the best price game :)

Same for us too. With all our insurances, house, contents, cars etc.

KenL
16th November 2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for that. I used to (until a few years ago) always shop around but never really found anyone cheaper than DL for car or house insurance.

Must remember to check it more carefully next time.