PDA

View Full Version : Brake sensor wire

monkimagic
14th November 2007, 07:10 PM
Hi Guys

Is there any legal requirment to have a brake sensor light/wire? What happens if it is removed and not replaced? will the light remain on?

Planning to change my pads but dont really see the need for the warning light, unless that would make it an MOT failure.

zimbo
14th November 2007, 07:27 PM
Ummm I think you should be ok, because the sensor is really only there to alert you to the fact that the pads are needing replaced and thats all, but if you remove it then its up to you keep a check on the thickness of your pads beofe it becomes to late... :D

Sweeney
14th November 2007, 07:28 PM
I think if ABS is fitted, the ABS sensor needs to be working, whether that ties in with the brake pad wear sensor i don't know

monkimagic
14th November 2007, 07:29 PM
Will the light just stay off? if it its unplugged at the Car end.

fireman01
14th November 2007, 07:53 PM
nothing to do with the abs,not an mot failure either,if you want the light out without replacing the sensor chop the end off it and twist the wires together,a new sensor is only around £10

Big Gordy
14th November 2007, 10:57 PM
All that happens with the brake pad sensor is when your pads wear down to where the wire is embeded in the pad material it makes contact with the metal of the disc and the warning light comes on;) So no problem if you chop it off:eek:......the wire you fool:eek::p Just remember to check the pads every now and again as you now have no early warning device:rolleyes::D

zimbo
15th November 2007, 07:30 PM
All that happens with the brake pad sensor is when your pads wear down to where the wire is embeded in the pad material it makes contact with the metal of the disc and the warning light comes on;) So no problem if you chop it off:eek:......the wire you fool:eek::p Just remember to check the pads every now and again as you now have no early warning device:rolleyes::D

Thats what I already said you muppet :D (just in a slightly different way) lol

monkimagic
24th November 2007, 05:59 PM
Thats what I already said you muppet :D (just in a slightly different way) lol

I did this but the light is still on, did I not twist them enough?

stoney
25th November 2007, 12:49 PM
I did this but the light is still on, did I not twist them enough?

i think bmw have 2 turn off the light not shure !!

monkimagic
26th November 2007, 12:21 AM
Sorted, twisted the wires, taped them up then I turned on the ignition for 30secs at turn2, hey presto the sensor is disabled, the light is out.

This is how to reset the sensor if you keep the option.....a top tip from Mini2

jcbadger
31st October 2009, 05:56 PM
Hi All

I plan to change my rear disc and pads - I've read somewhere that certain brands of pads don't work with the brake wear sensor - my query - does the brake sensor system only work with bmw mini pads? is it something to do with how the sensor fits onto the pads - a special fitting that not all pads can accommodate - I'm thinking of fitting a Mintex box set of rear discs and pads - a lot cheaper than buying discs and pads separately.

Thanks

jc