PDA

View Full Version : Road Pricing?

Bumble
12th November 2007, 10:08 PM
Did anyone else watch the Dispatches Doc on Channel 4 on Congestion and Road Pricing? I don't do a lot of long journeys, most of my driving is also done during rush hour but not on the most busy of roads so I don't think I'd be any worse off; may even be better :eek: .

What's everyone's views on this and would it make you consider moving some of your journeys to --- shock horror --- public transport?

L :rolleyes:

Guy was driving a clubman - liked how it looked, white/black combo.

duncan
12th November 2007, 11:04 PM
I never saw the documentary, but Dispatches is often quite good.

Anyway, personally, I'm in favour of road pricing, as long as road tax goes.

Going to work, I travel outwith peak times, and then, Its only a mile and a half away- less if I was to walk.

I would probably use the car even less than my current 5000 miles a year :)

For the works van, i don't care, I don't pay the bills!

The Dogfather
12th November 2007, 11:19 PM
I'm all for road tolls, just as long as the tax comes off fuel.

Sheilz
15th November 2007, 01:40 AM
Not sure what it would mean for me and my colleagues. We have clients placed all over Scotland and at mo I've have one in Poland, two in England and got to do some work with a family in Wales so as you can imagine a lot of mileage there. Unfortunately, we have to fork out costs from our own pockets and eventually get it reimbursed. Takes for ever I have to say. For us this would be a severe penalty. One of our gripes is having to fork out ridiculous amounts in fuel just to be able to do our job. Its almost like having 2-300 knocked off our salaries every month. We have a phrase for it but its not polite so best not to repeat it!

(I havent driven to Poland - not yet, think the cooncil could be persuaded to provide air tickets for that one).

Gismo
15th November 2007, 07:24 AM
Right now, all the mileage i do in the UK is personal and even then it's only for 6 months of the year.
I'd be lucky to do 4k a year, so, probably best for me is road pricing, but, something has to give, like no road tax, or :rolleyes: a severe cut in fuel price

KenL
15th November 2007, 11:05 PM
Road tax is only £35 for some cars remember.

I think they REALLY need to hit drivers of big cars.

My idea was to allocate everybody a certain amount of CO2 emissions or fuel. Once your allocation is used up, you can't use your car.

I know this would be tough to administer, but why should rich people suffer less pain? They will be able to afford any tax whereas Joe Public will not!

KenL
15th November 2007, 11:08 PM
Not sure what it would mean for me and my colleagues. We have clients placed all over Scotland and at mo I've have one in Poland, two in England and got to do some work with a family in Wales so as you can imagine a lot of mileage there. Unfortunately, we have to fork out costs from our own pockets and eventually get it reimbursed. Takes for ever I have to say. For us this would be a severe penalty. One of our gripes is having to fork out ridiculous amounts in fuel just to be able to do our job. Its almost like having 2-300 knocked off our salaries every month. We have a phrase for it but its not polite so best not to repeat it!

(I havent driven to Poland - not yet, think the cooncil could be persuaded to provide air tickets for that one).

...but, are you not given a large amount for your fuel which more than covers your costs? I know people who are desperate to use their cars as they make a killing.

Craig
15th November 2007, 11:09 PM
sorry Ken but what a lot of tosh...!

I use my car for pleasure and pay A LOT of money for the privilege. That is my choice.

HOWEVER I work for the government making sure all you general public out there are looked after and have to use my car for work, so under your idea, because I am doing business mileage in my car, I might have to walk for the last 2 months of they year if I use up my allocation. - away and boil yer heid man. :confused:

Scottie
15th November 2007, 11:21 PM
Well I am in favour of road pricing as long as they reduce the duty rate on fuel.

Now If a person uses his own car for company business then they should get the road pricing reimbursed to them or charged direct to their company depending on how the poers to be intend to administer the charge.

Gismo
16th November 2007, 09:07 AM
My idea was to allocate everybody a certain amount of CO2 emissions or fuel. Once your allocation is used up, you can't use your car
I assume that you'd allocate the figure that would allow you to drive a car of your choice

I know this would be tough to administer, but why should rich people suffer less pain? They will be able to afford any tax whereas Joe Public will not!
I think you should hand your car back, that chip on you're shoulder is warping you're judgement :rolleyes:

Bumble
16th November 2007, 11:30 AM
They were talking about the reduction in petrol tax as the adjustment that would have to be made with the intro of Road Pricing.

the undertaker
16th November 2007, 02:45 PM
pure greed again from this government. Shame we can't have fun?

KenL
16th November 2007, 03:47 PM
I assume that you'd allocate the figure that would allow you to drive a car of your choice

Eh, no - I would choose a car that suited my needs and kept me within the quota.

I think you should hand your car back, that chip on you're shoulder is warping you're judgement :rolleyes:

What chip, ya cheeky get!

KenL
16th November 2007, 03:50 PM
sorry Ken but what a lot of tosh...!

I use my car for pleasure and pay A LOT of money for the privilege. That is my choice.

...but, if there really is a problem with CO2 etc. it should not have anything to do with money.

HOWEVER I work for the government making sure all you general public out there are looked after and have to use my car for work, so under your idea, because I am doing business mileage in my car, I might have to walk for the last 2 months of they year if I use up my allocation. - away and boil yer heid man. :confused:

I'm sure we could make an exception for key workers like yourself :)

Big Gordy
16th November 2007, 04:59 PM
I'm sure we could make an exception for key workers like yourself :)

Key worker:eek: :eek: :eek: Don't make me larf:rolleyes: :p He's a "keystone cop" worker more like;) :D

AndyP & Lenore
16th November 2007, 05:11 PM
Key worker:eek: :eek: :eek: Don't make me larf:rolleyes: :p He's a "keystone cop" worker more like;) :D

PMSL.:D :D :D

Gismo
16th November 2007, 05:11 PM
Eh, no - I would choose a car that suited my needs and kept me within the quota
Oh yeah right :rolleyes:

What chip, ya cheeky get!
"but why should rich people suffer less pain"
Remember, that in someone elses eyes, you are rich ;)

KenL
16th November 2007, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah right :rolleyes:

"but why should rich people suffer less pain"
Remember, that in someone elses eyes, you are rich ;)

I suppose that is true :)

Craig
16th November 2007, 06:34 PM

I think the camera van needs to visit larbert more....;) some of us work hard you know.... not me, but some do.. :eek: ;)

The Dogfather
16th November 2007, 06:42 PM
I don't know what difference the co2 from cars will make, as India and China become increasingly consumerised (OK made up word but you get what I mean). The volume of CO2 these nations produce will dwarf anything the UK would produce. The money spent on renewable technology should be spent on relocating government and commerce from London.

AndyP & Lenore
16th November 2007, 08:08 PM
I don't know what difference the co2 from cars will make, as India and China become increasingly consumerised (OK made up word but you get what I mean). The volume of CO2 these nations produce will dwarf anything the UK would produce. The money spent on renewable technology should be spent on relocating government and commerce from London.

Yeah.http://forum.snitz.com/forum/icon_smile_approve.gif And on building bigger, faster, wider roads for us to burn off even more Co2 and warm the earth a bit more. Bloody cold these past couple of days.

A.;)

Sheilz
16th November 2007, 10:54 PM
...but, are you not given a large amount for your fuel which more than covers your costs? I know people who are desperate to use their cars as they make a killing.

41p per mile for the first 1000 miles then a sliding scale down to 12p per mile (no car allowance included) but if I was to use a bicycle I'd get 13p! Unfortunately its isnt possible to transport kids on bikes and by the time I cycled to the bottom of Anderson Drive I'd need resuscitation, never mind getting the length of Stirling etc! I know what you mean though about some expense accounts being lucrative. I assure you mine isnt and I can truthfully say all of my colleagues subsidise the council because there's so much mileage we do that's just too scuttery to record and claim for. With fuel at its current level, two full sets of tyres per year - runflats arent cheap - wear and tear and loss of value to the car = no profit for me. The only thing that makes this palatable is having a great wee car to drive. The council do have some vehicles - electric, and some vans. Bl***dy paperwork to book one, have to know exactly when it will be back blah blah and the best bit, we're not allowed to travel out of the city with them. Needless to say we dont even try to book one. :mad:

KenL
17th November 2007, 12:34 AM
41p per mile for the first 1000 miles then a sliding scale down to 12p per mile (no car allowance included) but if I was to use a bicycle I'd get 13p! Unfortunately its isnt possible to transport kids on bikes and by the time I cycled to the bottom of Anderson Drive I'd need resuscitation, never mind getting the length of Stirling etc! I know what you mean though about some expense accounts being lucrative. I assure you mine isnt and I can truthfully say all of my colleagues subsidise the council because there's so much mileage we do that's just too scuttery to record and claim for. With fuel at its current level, two full sets of tyres per year - runflats arent cheap - wear and tear and loss of value to the car = no profit for me. The only thing that makes this palatable is having a great wee car to drive. The council do have some vehicles - electric, and some vans. Bl***dy paperwork to book one, have to know exactly when it will be back blah blah and the best bit, we're not allowed to travel out of the city with them. Needless to say we dont even try to book one. :mad:

Sorry for what I said Sheilz, your deal does not sound fair at all.

The Dogfather
17th November 2007, 04:35 AM
Sheilz, doesn't the Inland Revenue set figures which are supposed to be followed? Something like 45p per mile first 10k then 25p. Sounds like whoever you work for they not following what IR recommend.

Craig
17th November 2007, 09:09 AM
Sheilz, doesn't the Inland Revenue set figures which are supposed to be followed? Something like 45p per mile first 10k then 25p. Sounds like whoever you work for they not following what IR recommend.

Vidal, they are just "guidelines" and like any council they can change their mind. We are employed jointly by 3 councils and the polis and our conditions for claiming mileage are different to other forces. :(

as for the whole idea of Road Pricing..... not sure how this will work, if they are charging per mile, then they will have to have some sort of GPS device on your vehicle, which also means they know what speed you are doing all the time and could just send you out a speeding bill and a letter revoking your licence.! :(

Gismo
17th November 2007, 09:22 AM
When i used to have a company car i was able to offset what my company gave me against what i could claim back from the government every year.
I can't remember the scales, it was graded on engine size, but, i know i received approx £1000 per year back from the tax manny.

Not sure of your actual deal Sheilz, but, would be worth checking what the government allow you to claim in your tax return.

stoney
17th November 2007, 02:28 PM
road pricing would be bad for my work as i trvel all over scotland and ll times of day it would cost small bussines like my dads a lot of money and may even shut some down then also think of all the jobs that include driving ie post man your stamps would go up prices for delivers for parts and stuff will go up bus fares and the rest

Sheilz
18th November 2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, will have a look into this. I just pay my tax normally like everyone else, never thought there could be potential for rebate.
Cheers

N12 JLK
18th November 2007, 05:46 PM
whats a Bus, is that the big thingy that pulls out infront of you:)
Not for me in my job public transport as Im all over the country and hey I would miss my heater in the car and I hate the smell of BO, when ever I had the misfortune to go on public transport I always had to sit next to the person honking of it.
Vroom Vroom