PDA

View Full Version : bye bye mini?

s12cot
12th November 2007, 06:29 PM
Well kinda bored of the MINI, great car and love the way it drives, but looking for something with a little more about it e.g. rear wheel drive.... so the list has been whittled down from a boxter, tamora, elise, s2000 & TT

to a S2000, which i drove for the first time on Saturday, what a car, just awsome..... 05plate with 10k miles on it in the Honda garage in Dundee

What should I do, in a bit of a quandry, not sure if I should get rid of the MINI or not...:confused:

Honest opinions...

FergusM
12th November 2007, 06:31 PM
I test drove a S2000....loved the way it rev'd and rev'd and rev'd... but was not sohappy with the kick you get when the VTEC kicks in...and no stability anything put me off.

Also read up about it and seemed like the kick of the VTEC catches quite a few people out and they go backwards through a hedge ! Though, that was quite a few years back and they might have added that since then.

The Dogfather
12th November 2007, 07:10 PM
Have you tried the MX5 2.0 Sport?

Not as fast as the s2000 but thats in group 20 insurance whereas the MX5 is in group 13. Supposedly the MX5 will do 0-60 in 7.1 (Autocar test) whereas Mazda claim 7.9, the Mazda figure tends to put people off. I think the S2000 does it in 6.5.

You will be able to pick a new one up and be able to fit the lower springs for the price of a secondhand S2000. I'm doing a bit of a project with mine, uprated roll bars and chassis brace kit is next on my list. Should be able to give any car a run for its money on the twisty stuff when its finished......

Oh, if an S2000 is your bag Motorpoint.co.uk had an 07 plate for 20k.

Oh the MX5 has switch offable DSC and LSD.

euan
12th November 2007, 07:37 PM
I loved the S2000 when I test drove it but then the missus got all practical on me and that was the end of that.

However, the drive was superb and there are some good examples to be had used now.

TT isn't rear wheel drive, but I presume you mean a quattro version? Some people love them, some hate them - it depends if your looking at the new or old style.

Boxters are pricey for a good one. I'd rather have a good S2000 over a Boxter, drive better, cheaper servicing etc.

Elise is too hardcore for me for a 1st car, same with the TVR.

So, if your sold on getting rid, S2000 or, if you want to look like a hairdresser, then look at the MX5 as well :-)

However, what's the reason your looking? Bored of FWD? More power? Or just looking about and seeing what your options are? (all valid btw!)

s12cot
12th November 2007, 09:25 PM
the S2000 was revised in 2004 to improve the snappy tail, they also added traction control as an option.... not too worried about the snappy tail, all adds to the fun.

I tried the quatro 225 TT and was not that impressed by it, tended to understeer, add a bit of power to balance that with the back end and it understeers more, all down to the 4 wheel drive,

I guess the reason for changing is, more power and i prefer the way a rear wheel drive car handles etc...

I would have gone for an elise as i have always wanted one, but it is just not practical for our life style, love TVR's but they are not very reliable, Boxter is expensive for what it is, and with a 20k budget I would be looking at a 02-03 2.7 version with 35k miles, where I can get a nearly new s2000 for the same price and better performance

As with an MX5, with all due respect, I just dont like they way it looks, and a S2000 gets to 60 in 6.1....

euan
12th November 2007, 09:31 PM
What about an RX8? My brother has one - it absolutely flies - more practical than an S2000 but it is quite thirsty. You'll be able to pick a nearly new one for under your budget.

Or a used 130M?

s12cot
12th November 2007, 09:34 PM
What about an RX8? My brother has one - it absolutely flies - more practical than an S2000 but it is quite thirsty. You'll be able to pick a nearly new one for under your budget.

Or a used 130M?

RX8's are nice but not, hard core enough, if you know what I mean, i have also decided that i want a soft top, if i was going to go for a 130m style car think I would go for an r32 golf.... good ideas though..

euan
12th November 2007, 10:22 PM
350Z roadster?

The Dogfather
12th November 2007, 10:22 PM
Looks aren't everything but I reckon the MX5 is a far better looker than a S2000 :D (I'm saving for the body kit below BTW)

http://www.mx5gallery.net/albums/mx5pics/NC%20Galaxy%20Gray/GrayMX5-NC013.jpg

S2000 looks dated to me. What about an SLK or Z4?

s12cot
13th November 2007, 09:12 AM
350Z roadster?

hmmm, had not thought of that, may be worth a look... anyone driven one?

s12cot
13th November 2007, 09:13 AM
Looks aren't everything but I reckon the MX5 is a far better looker than a S2000 :D (I'm saving for the body kit below BTW)

http://www.mx5gallery.net/albums/mx5pics/NC%20Galaxy%20Gray/GrayMX5-NC013.jpg

S2000 looks dated to me. What about an SLK or Z4?

i think we will have to agree to disagree on the looks thing.....

SLK, looks good but really not my bag, Z4, nice car not driven one, Sharon does not like the looks all that much....

euan
13th November 2007, 11:21 AM
Z4 is a cracking car. Loads of power and if your looking at the others listed you should go and look at the Z4 too. The interior might win her over, as it's great.

s12cot
13th November 2007, 12:59 PM
Z4 is a cracking car. Loads of power and if your looking at the others listed you should go and look at the Z4 too. The interior might win her over, as it's great.

hmmm, think i will make a call, i think they look good.... but what like to drive, are they hard core enough or are they gay like the Z3?

euan
13th November 2007, 01:54 PM
Depends on the model. Drive an Sport model and they are pretty hardcore, even in the smaller engines due to the stiffer suspension.

SE is less so, but still a great handling car. A lot of people prefer the SE for the ride quality, then add the big wheels to get the look. There are also a lot of engine combinations - si has a lot more power than a standard car - the 2.5 has 177BHP, the 2.5si has 215 I think. 3.0si is up about 265BHP.

The Bull
15th November 2007, 01:54 PM
350z would be a hoot.

s12cot
15th November 2007, 06:54 PM
350z would be a hoot.

drifting....

zimbo
15th November 2007, 07:39 PM
It would be difficult to choose, I would be trying to choose between an S2000 , Z4 or an Audi TT. I love all three in that order.

Never driven the S2000 or TT but aim to try to some time soonish, but I have been out in a Z4 3.0i and what a car... :p

s12cot
16th November 2007, 09:16 AM
I have not driven the z4 yet, but love the s2000 sooooo much, its just raw to the bone, gives the elise feeling with a few more comforts and a boot....

not had time to think about it this week and this weekend we are really busy so hope to try the z4 next week and make me mind up what i am doing...