PDA

View Full Version : MPH Show Report

AndyP & Lenore
12th November 2007, 02:41 AM
We went down to the MPH Show in Birmingham NEC on Friday. Really worth the trip. It was an excellent show, like watching 90 minutes of Top Gear live. The banter and tomfoolery between the three guys was great.

Loads of supercars on show in the exhibition area as well as on the stage during the live show, and some amazing classics on show in the Classic Car exhibition attached to the MPH show.

The main live performance started off with a very touching tribute to Colin McRae, featuring footage of some of Colin's fearless driving skills.

Other items in the live show were;

Stunt driving from Paul Swift (Russ's son) and his pro driving team. The Stig versus the Gatso Camera dragon - took the form of a 3D film and the Stig driving about on stage shooting the dragon out the air. Lots of pyrotechnics. Suzuki Swift's playing football. Smallest car competition, where the guys built the smallest car they could, then raced round a track. It was a bit like a Top Gear challenge, but the cars were already built, was good fun all the same. Another challenge was for Clarkson to race a mountain climber up a makeshift mountain in a Discovery 3.

Overall, we had a great time. The MPH exhibition was very interesting, the MPH Live Show was the cream of the crop though. Absolutely loved that, and we've registered for update for next years show already.

Loads of photo's can be found on this web page (http://www.reachercreatures.com/mph/mph07.html)

A & L.:D :D :D

euan
12th November 2007, 08:32 AM
Looks great! Loving the 500 pics, still really tempted by them, especially the price they announced them at. I imagine there are a fair number of people with those last Mini's who use them as a daily driver and not look after them which would be a shame.

I've never been to MPH, always thought it looked at bit OTT, but maybe I should have as everyone who I know who's been said it was a great day out.

Still, this year it was a choice of MPH or the Race of Champions, so I'm going to that instead ;-)

Good write up and good photos!

Gismo
12th November 2007, 08:42 AM
Nice write up Andy, i'd have liked to have gone to that, ah well, next time maybe.
As for the classic, nope, it's not a clubman

Shame about the picture quality though :rolleyes: :D

The Discovery Channel are showing a couple of programmes here in Baku, 1 is about beetle cars and the other is the campervan's.
Both are showing restoration projects, but, they often show meets etc, now these folks are seriously mental and spend loads of cash on their wee toys

Craig
12th November 2007, 10:46 AM
:D Nice Report..

as to whether that is a Traveller or a CLubman, it's defo not a Clubman, that is the flat fronted MINI that normally had a 1275 engine in it.

it could be a Traveller or they also did a model called a Coutryman. Would needed to have seen it in the flesh.. That blue classic looked nice tho....:cool:

Burple
12th November 2007, 11:38 AM
:D Nice Report..

as to whether that is a Traveller or a CLubman, it's defo not a Clubman, that is the flat fronted MINI that normally had a 1275 engine in it.

No they didn't.. :p:p Only the 1275 GT did ;)
Mine was one of the 1098 ones, most were still little old 998s..

:D:p

Oh...er.. and cool pics too!

Gismo
12th November 2007, 12:14 PM
No they didn't.. :p:p Only the 1275 GT did ;)
That's what he's saying, read it again :rolleyes:

Burple
12th November 2007, 01:02 PM
That's what he's saying, read it again :rolleyes:

Naw.. the Clubman didn't 'normally' have a 1275 in it.. only the 1275GT version of the Clubby did. Like the difference between a Mini and a Mini Cooper.. Most of the Clubmans were the 998 or 1098 versions... :p

There was also a Clubman Traveller.... or rather Clubman Estate

Hopefully this pic will help..

http://www.minipassionmini.50megs.com/imagenes/fotos/5minismk3.jpg
THe one on the far left is a GT, the one on the far right is a normal Clubman..:D

duncan
12th November 2007, 01:14 PM
Yep, my first Mini was a Clubman, and there certainly wasn't a 1275 engine in it, it was a 998cc.

Gismo
12th November 2007, 01:16 PM
The way i read it he was stating that the 1275 flat fronted clubman had a 1275 engine innit :o
So, we are all correct :D

Scottie
12th November 2007, 01:27 PM
My first Mini was a Clubman and for a young 17 year old it felt like a 1275 engine but no it was only 998cc, Smashed that then had a Mini Traveller in white.:cool:

Big Gordy
12th November 2007, 01:44 PM
I had an 1098 clubman that 'looked' like a 1275 GT:rolleyes: :p
Ahhhh......PMS 492P.....memories:o ;) :D

Big Gordy
12th November 2007, 01:50 PM
My next door neighbour has one of those 'last 500 made' minis:D Very nice it is too in dark blue....Fi saw it the last time she was at ma hoose and wanted to know if he was selling it:eek: He isn't by the way:p :D

Craig
12th November 2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks BS for sticking up for me:) . I was using the 1275GT as an example as most MINI people will have seen one.. :rolleyes: :p :cool:

and yes, we are all right. :D

Burple
12th November 2007, 05:57 PM
So, we are all correct :D

and yes, we are all right.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just trying to keep youse gadgies right! :p:p:p:D:D:D;)