PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow 2014

duncan
9th November 2007, 02:04 PM
So, Glasgow has won the Commonwealth games in 2014.

Good luck to them, they were up against quite a tough opponent, with Africa never having hosted the Games.

euan
9th November 2007, 02:26 PM
So, Glasgow has won the Commonwealth games in 2014.

Good luck to them, they were up against quite a tough opponent, with Africa never having hosted the Games.

Brilliant news for them. Suspect the timing for them helped though, as they were building a lot of the facilities anyway for different uses!

Moonshine
9th November 2007, 07:02 PM
Brilliant news for them. Suspect the timing for them helped though, as they were building a lot of the facilities anyway for different uses!

like.....?

from what i heard, 70% of the facilities are already built e.g Swimming pool (townhead leisure centre), Celtic Park, Ibrox and Hampden. I thought something was to be built around scotstoun as well.

They need to build a velodrome (whiche wouldn't have been built otherwise) and a facility is being built near the SECC.

The still need to build the athletes village, which will be at dalmarnock. I think we are going to be involved in that...

Altogether well done to the bid committee....

roll on 2014

G

illegalhunter
9th November 2007, 09:06 PM
council tax up in glasgow to pay for it

N12 JLK
9th November 2007, 11:15 PM
'Mon the weegies. Was a great atmosphere in Glasgow today. When the announcement was made, lots of noise in my work, car outside peeping their horns.

Will be great although Jason and I realised earlier that we will be in our 40's. :(

Scottie
9th November 2007, 11:19 PM
Will be great although Jason and I realised earlier that we will be in our 40's. :(
and what is wrong with being in your 40'S :p :p

N12 JLK
9th November 2007, 11:21 PM
Not a thing Fiona, not a thing. But when the youngsters in your work are saying, " I'll be 28" and so on, it does tend to make your think you are getting old:(

bsimage
10th November 2007, 01:12 AM
Calm Down Everyone! I Work for Glasgow Council & Know Only Too Well How much CORRUPTION goes on within the ranks. So its Not good for Glasgow, Not good for Scotland, its only good for Council Backhanders etc.

I'm an Average Glaswegian. It Wont make me any Happier, Wealthier or Wiser. So they can Stick It!!!!

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2007, 01:53 AM
Good for Glasgow.:D Good for Scotland:D .

Well done to the organising committee.

A.:D

vintageb3
10th November 2007, 05:14 PM
Well...I hated the whole affair at the Fruitmarket...Why? Because I had to bloody load Deacon Blue in at 6.00am that morning!!!:mad: Then do a load into Carling Academy for evening show....so up from 5.00 am to 1.00am the next morning:(

Deacon Blue used my Hammond B3 Organ look-a-like...and whilst everyone else was getting texts telling them that they were on telly....I got texts from customers asking if it was my real B3 or or digital B3.:D

Met my old friend Nicola (Deputy First Minister);) ...she used go out with my mate. She's not at all like she is when she's talking politics...really sweet actually...AND SHE WAS SOOOOO NERVOUS about going on to do her speech.

Anyway...on to our second show in Glasgow tonight.

Last night the bus took us back to the hotel after the show. The bus hit a low bridge...and took out one bunk upstairs....MINE!!!!

If i had been in it, which I did think about....I would have been most probably killed.

Not the drivers fault really...two bridges on a one way street...first one is marked at 4.6m...and the second is 4.0m

I would have thought it would have made sense to mark the lowest height of the two bridges!!!!!

mark

euan
10th November 2007, 08:06 PM
like.....?

from what i heard, 70% of the facilities are already built e.g Swimming pool (townhead leisure centre), Celtic Park, Ibrox and Hampden. I thought something was to be built around scotstoun as well.

They need to build a velodrome (whiche wouldn't have been built otherwise) and a facility is being built near the SECC.

The still need to build the athletes village, which will be at dalmarnock. I think we are going to be involved in that...

Altogether well done to the bid committee....

roll on 2014

G

That's what I meant, just didn't write it very well!!!

The athletes village would have built as housing anyway from what I heard.

Moonshine
11th November 2007, 12:01 AM
That's what I meant, just didn't write it very well!!!

The athletes village would have built as housing anyway from what I heard.

ah!!! :) makes sense now.....

:)